Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Home treadmill with interval toggle button?
Quote | Reply
At the gym, I use a LifeFitness treadmill that has the following feature:

You set a jog speed, and you set a run speed. Then, you press an "interval" button to toggle between jog and run speeds. This is great, because I like to do my intervals distance-based (e.g. 250m fast, 100m slow), and I can just press the interval button to toggle. This video explains what I am taking about:

I have been looking at getting a treadmill for home. I don't seem to have a good treadmill store nearby, so I am shopping online. I can't really tell which treadmills offer this. My budget is around $800-1000, and I am looking at the Sole F63 and the NordicTrack C990. But, I don't know if these (or any others in my price range) offer an interval toggle button feature. Any advice?
Last edited by: 1536: Oct 6, 19 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: Home treadmill with interval toggle button? [1536] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not understand why this is not standard on all new treadmills;

I made my own with 6 pre-sets...
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...22_/_tweak_P6851409/

Any "ifit enabled" Nordictrack treadmill seems to be controllable through WI FI; I thought there would be more interest when I posted the above.. My programmer friend was game to make a phone app for it for $ at the time.

I know I use these pre-sets every treadmill run I do.. awesome for intervals.

I am sure similar feature(s) exist out-of-the-box on some new treadmills, but I would not know which ones, hope people chime in to help you!

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: Home treadmill with interval toggle button? [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spocket wrote:
I do not understand why this is not standard on all new treadmills;

I made my own with 6 pre-sets...
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...22_/_tweak_P6851409/

Any "ifit enabled" Nordictrack treadmill seems to be controllable through WI FI; I thought there would be more interest when I posted the above.. My programmer friend was game to make a phone app for it for $ at the time.

I know I use these pre-sets every treadmill run I do.. awesome for intervals.

I am sure similar feature(s) exist out-of-the-box on some new treadmills, but I would not know which ones, hope people chime in to help you!

I looked at your post -- that's some pretty great DIY engineering!

If I end up getting a nordictrack treadmill, I might borrow some of those ideas. I am a computer scientist by training (read: good at coding; bad at soldering), so perhaps I could kludge something together. Given that you say there's a way to control the speed wirelessly, I could something like...

treadmill <--> my desktop computer <--> wireless numpad

and then I could just type my desired speed into the numpad while running. It would be a bit like your idea, but (a) ugly, and (b) no hardware engineering needed.

Also, I'm not sure if your friend put the iFit controller code online, but I did just find a git repo that purports to do this, so this might be useful: https://github.com/...tcuff/iFitController
Last edited by: 1536: Oct 6, 19 14:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not what you are looking for, but my Woodway has this feature.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the Sole can do this for custom presets. It has pre-set presets 1-10 but I don't think you can custom set them.

That said, it accelerates fast enough that it has never been a problem for me on my F80.
Quote Reply
Re: Home treadmill with interval toggle button? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I don't think the Sole can do this for custom presets. It has pre-set presets 1-10 but I don't think you can custom set them.

That said, it accelerates fast enough that it has never been a problem for me on my F80.

I have an F80 as well. It does accelerate decent but I don’t think the native presets come close to what the OP is looking for.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did not use that code in particular, but indeed this is the page I also first found that made us realize what we could do;

You can use the info there to build you own app or web page to enable and apply presets from your phone or something :)

T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Up your budget a little bit and get a used Life Fitness? Should be able to find them in the $1700 range cleaned up with new belts (walk and drive).

I just picked up a used Star Trac and it has quick access numbers on it. 1-12 for full mph, but if you push 6 then 7 right after, it goes to 6.7. Yes you need to push 2 numbers. Same for inclines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The NordicTrack 1750 I have with the present speeds on the side is a neat feature. If I was doing intervals at say 6MPH and 10MPH, all I have to do is hit the 6MPH button to do that and the 10 to go back up. If you wanted to jump up in pace to 10.5MPH, you just hit the 10, then 5 MPH buttons together and it will do 10.5 for your interval! Same thing if you wanted to do 6.2MPH, just hit 6 then 2. Simple enough.

Hope you're still enjoying what the island has to offer bud!
Quote Reply
Re: Home treadmill with interval toggle button? [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Luke
Maybe the newer versions have better buttons for the 1750 than my version... or they get worse with time. But for mine, the preset speed buttons (actually all "surface buttons") are not working very well on mine: you have to push hard, and often they don't register and you have to press again. As for going in between integers, as you say, you have to press both (and they need to register) within a second or 2... I can barely make it happen if i am standing on the sides since the second button rarely register (in time) and if attempting while running, 20% success rate at best.
This is why I got frustrated and developped the above.

If NT has improved the button panel since (my NT is like 5-6 years old), kudos to them because this was really needed.

T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Life Fitness 7.0 treadmill (still going strong from 2006 with heavy use through the winters) -- it has a quick select buttons for speed and incline on the lower console. the speed is preset at 2, 4, and 6 mph but if you press and hold the button it will reset to the current speed for the remainder of the workout (or until changed) -- good for intervals. Not the fastest to change speeds, though, so for recovery under 1 min, often I just hop off and jog in place, then hop back on. this feature is listed in the manual; I'm not sure if it has been continued through to the later LF models. you might be able to get a decent used model, though, in your price range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is way off your budget, but the $4400 peloton tread is great for speed changes. It has a responsive rotary dial for changing speeds and also programmable jump buttons. All nice for intervals.

Following this thread because I too would love a $1000 treadmill that's great for intervals at 12+ mph!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the NordicTrack 2950, which has the same buttons along the right side and they work great for me, but my tm is only about 2 years old. Very easy to toggle between speeds for intervals. What I like even better is programming interval workouts in iFit and then uploading them to the treadmill and the treadmill automatically changes the speed for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with some of the other comments. Just make sure the presets are at whatever speed you want to toggle your jog/run speeds. Presets may even work better to have different "push it" levels if you want to do like a 20 second full sprint or something from time to time.

If you're still thinking about the c990 this website will knock the price down a bit https://www.nordictrackpromocodes.com/...pon-and-promo-codes/

I got a NT 1750. It was a little pricier, but it's been good. The free year of iFit has been nice too for throwing in some HIIT stuff.
Quote Reply