Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by jakemet85
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [jakemet85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last time this subject came up and people were waxing poetic about the Late Marzocco Linea but some people were not looking to spend that kind of cash for $4500, I pointed out that you could buy a breville with identical specifications for $1,200 and this is how that was recieved:

shivermetimbers wrote:
And to the bro asking why a hand made Italian commercial spec espresso machine is better than a cheap, plastic, mass produced pile of dogshit Breville is worth the extra money? You have just lost at the internet......cheers!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rancilio Silvia is one of the best ''bang for buck'' machine IMHO.

I had the chance to get a commercial machine ( Bezzera BZ35) ''forgotten'' in a coffee shop for bread crumbs.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how much would you like to spend? realize that this would need to cover the cost of a grinder and an espresso machine

~$500, intro-level Saeco/ de Longhi/ Gaggia with an entry-level Baratza grinder. Make sure to get the unpressurized portafilter. That with freshly-ground beans will get you something better than what Starbucks can make. Also, some Baratza grinders cannot grind fine enough. I had to return mine twice before they shipped me something that could do fine enough a grind. Had my first machine for 7 years; 4 years for the grinder. Could have had the espresso machine for longer, but basically ruined it by not descaling often enough. Make sure you descale.

~$750same espresso machine, but with Rancilio Rocky grinder. Personally think it's not worth it at this price point. Either spend $750 more and get the temperature stability of the PID or spend $250 less (and use it for good beans)

~$1500, Rancilio Silvia PID with an entry-level Eureka/ Ceado. The Silvia will allow you to pour latté art (see below, i'm still learning and practicing). I'm "slumming it" with a mid-tier Baratza grinder, which is not the best designed equipment, as the vibration from grinding actually changes the grind setting.

~$2250, you get into some nice heat-exchange machines (essentially can brew and steam at the same time) and a Mazzer Super Jolly or Type A. You are buying a lot of brand cachet when buying a Rocket, but Profitec, Quickmill, ECM, etc. all make very good machines.

~$3000, dual boiler with a Mazzer. When you have limited amount of $$$ to spend, spend more on the grinder. However, the best grinders can be found for $750-1000, whereas the espresso machines will go quite a bit above.

anything more, you have your La Marzocco single group, Slayer, or if you want to be fancy enough, Arduino Black Eagle (cost more than a family sedan).

Also, realize that you'll likely need to spend $50 on a portafilter (unpressurized for the intro-level; bottomless for anything else), ~$30 for a tamper, $30 for cups, and probably $30-50 for water softeners/filters
Last edited by: echappist: Dec 30, 18 18:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jura Impressa C60 has been getting it done for me. Cost waas in the 1000$ range, so not cheap but not crazy expensive either.

I can't say I am a real coffee/espresso connoisseur, but it works well. I also no longer have much interest in spending 2 or 3$ for a cup of crappy coffee from Starbucks, so I figure it paid for itself in about a year.
Quote Reply
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll give you my home solution. I have a nespresso vertuo plus. I make its version of espresso which is a passable facsimile but is not like a talented barista pulling real shots.

Then what I do is heat milk on the stove to 165-170 and dump it into a French press and then plunge it 10-15 times or so.

I use it to emulate a cortado. This is the low cost solution and is a pretty decent home version. If you have thousands to spend and lots of spare time to fiddle, get a real one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gaggia Classic + Gaggia MDF grinder. I would say the absolute bare, bottom level of acceptable. I really want to upgrade, but my student loans are a little more important to me right now.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rancilio silvia with rocky grinder is what I use.. have used it every day for past 9 years and still works amazing. Super easy to use, but also easy to mod if you want. Super pleased I bough it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried them all, then went back to making coffee in a French press.

Where you got the beans from, and now long ago were they roasted, makes the most difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Delonghi Dedica. $300 and does everything that I need it to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jakemet85 wrote:
Looking for any recommendations on a home espresso machine....

Anybody have any experience with a certain one they love or hate???

Thanks
Budget?

I'd suggest figuring out how much you want to spend, double it, then spend that on the grinder. Then triple it again and buy the actual espresso machine.

(VBM Domobar Super owner here, 11 years and still rocking strong)
Quote Reply
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
how much would you like to spend? realize that this would need to cover the cost of a grinder and an espresso machine

~$500, intro-level Saeco/ de Longhi/ Gaggia with an entry-level Baratza grinder. Make sure to get the unpressurized portafilter. That with freshly-ground beans will get you something better than what Starbucks can make. Also, some Baratza grinders cannot grind fine enough. I had to return mine twice before they shipped me something that could do fine enough a grind. Had my first machine for 7 years; 4 years for the grinder. Could have had the espresso machine for longer, but basically ruined it by not descaling often enough. Make sure you descale.

~$750same espresso machine, but with Rancilio Rocky grinder. Personally think it's not worth it at this price point. Either spend $750 more and get the temperature stability of the PID or spend $250 less (and use it for good beans)

~$1500, Rancilio Silvia PID with an entry-level Eureka/ Ceado. The Silvia will allow you to pour latté art (see below, i'm still learning and practicing). I'm "slumming it" with a mid-tier Baratza grinder, which is not the best designed equipment, as the vibration from grinding actually changes the grind setting.

~$2250, you get into some nice heat-exchange machines (essentially can brew and steam at the same time) and a Mazzer Super Jolly or Type A. You are buying a lot of brand cachet when buying a Rocket, but Profitec, Quickmill, ECM, etc. all make very good machines.

~$3000, dual boiler with a Mazzer. When you have limited amount of $$$ to spend, spend more on the grinder. However, the best grinders can be found for $750-1000, whereas the espresso machines will go quite a bit above.

anything more, you have your La Marzocco single group, Slayer, or if you want to be fancy enough, Arduino Black Eagle (cost more than a family sedan).

Also, realize that you'll likely need to spend $50 on a portafilter (unpressurized for the intro-level; bottomless for anything else), ~$30 for a tamper, $30 for cups, and probably $30-50 for water softeners/filters

I bought 3 different home machines and upgraded along the way. It was all a waste of money.

I ended up with a double boiler La Spaziale plumbed in machine and a conical burr grinder. I've had it for 10 years now and love it.

I still have my E61 machine that I keep at a summer place for use when I'm not at home. It does not even come close.

As everyone else has said, fresh beans are key. I home roast but a good subscription delivery service works also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gaggia Classic and a Rocky Grinder
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for bang for the buck I suggest the aero press, it is a great little device and can make some very good coffee and is basically a French press without the fines on the bottom of your cup.... as for a machine that is a whole lot like asking which is the best car.... go to a store that carries a lot of machines and ask and try them out to see which fits your liking and budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People like to dump on it since there's some plastic to the casing and it's mass produced, but the Breville Dual Boiler cannot be beat at the ~$1000 price point. To get similar features in the higher end brands will cost roughly three times as much. As others have said, don't skimp on the grinder. You can buy a $10,000 espresso machine, but it will brew garbage if you have inconsistent grinds. I'm also a big fan of home roasting coffee beans. If you want to get into roasting, a Fresh Roast SR500 is $180 and is a good starter roaster. It will pay back somewhat quickly since raw beans are ~$6/lb vs $12-15/lb for good quality roasted beans.
Quote Reply
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I’m wondering about in the super-premium level is this: how many home-made drinks would someone have to make to equal finding the best local coffee shop with really good baristas making you a $5 double shot? That’s 600 drinks, almost 2 years. But at home, you’d have to buy the coffee and learn how to actually pull a few shots based on your 2 drinks per day. A barista practices and perfects dozens of times per day.

$3000 or whatever the prices are make absolute sense if you’re planning to open a shop and sell dozens of drinks per day over a few years.

I’m still using my Aeropress after 5 years, bought for $29, and a few lost pieces replaced for $12. It’s not really espresso, but it’s the best coffee I’ve ever made. I use a burr grinder that was a wedding gift. The aeropress is so good it makes average beans awesome and high-quality beans sublime, for probably less than $.40 per cup.
Last edited by: 140triguy: Jan 1, 19 6:17
Quote Reply
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't matter what espresso machine you get if you don't have a grinder that will grind fine enough.
You need a burr grinder so budget accordingly for that item first. You could easily spend $100-$400 on a grinder.
I had a Gaggia Classic. It was cheap and did a decent job.
I've had the Rancilio Silvia for about 6 years. It is a significant step up. It is a very popular machine. Parts are readily available and affordable.
Silvias are about $750 new but it will last many years and pay for itself quickly in coffee shop visits.
Quote Reply
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
for bang for the buck I suggest the aero press, it is a great little device and can make some very good coffee and is basically a French press without the fines on the bottom of your cup.... as for a machine that is a whole lot like asking which is the best car.... go to a store that carries a lot of machines and ask and try them out to see which fits your liking and budget.

I'll second the Aeropress, but it took me a lot of tries to fine tune my technique. Finally got the "This is really good coffee" stamp of approval from my dad at Christmas.

What are you using for a filter on yours? I'm still using the included paper ones, but I'm getting close to running out and am trying to decide between more paper filters or one of the fancier one way flow metal filters.
Quote Reply
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
s5100e wrote:

I'll second the Aeropress, but it took me a lot of tries to fine tune my technique. Finally got the "This is really good coffee" stamp of approval from my dad at Christmas.

What are you using for a filter on yours? I'm still using the included paper ones, but I'm getting close to running out and am trying to decide between more paper filters or one of the fancier one way flow metal filters.
I still use the paper filters, they are dirt cheap and do a really good job of catching the fines. I looked at getting a permanent filter but so far have not found one that I can easily buy so it is just the standard filters. In fact I use the aero press at work for my daily coffee and have an entry level Breville Cafe Roma machine at home but will probably upgrade over time. I just bought a good grinder so things are starting to move in the right direction. Grinding with a good grinder makes a world of difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you looking for specifically? Do you just want espresso? Espresso based drinks like latte, macchiato, etc.? Mix of both? Something else?

I drink more coffee and use either an aeropress or clever dripper. For my espresso fix, I have a super automatic (gaggia titanium). It makes an okay/serviceable espresso. What I like about it is that it's super convenient. I turn it on, wait for it to warm up, push a button and it's done. Milk based drinks are pretty easy with it too. My BIL has a Jura and I would say they are pretty similar.

For a decent/good espresso, I'd have to invest more time and money. If I were to go that route, I'd probably get at least a gaggia classic or the ranchilio silva as previously mentioned. For now, if I wanted a great espresso, I'd go to my local coffee shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are really SO many options from the $15 stovetop options, which I have, to the multi-thousand dollar machines. I currently have a Nespresso Essenza, which I think is terrific, but I can see why it might not meet some connoisseur's standards. However, I also have the refillable pods which allow me to use and grind my own beans to whatever specification I choose. They're reviewed poorly, but I've found them to produce results indistinguishable from commercial pods.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
....makes average beans awesome and high-quality beans sublime, for probably less than $.40 per cup.

Totally. That's the thing about coffee; if made correctly, you can make an amazing brew from average beans but you can also really easily ruin a really good roast.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s5100e wrote:
bufordt wrote:
s5100e wrote:

I still use the paper filters, they are dirt cheap and do a really good job of catching the fines. I looked at getting a permanent filter but so far have not found one that I can easily buy so it is just the standard filters. In fact I use the aero press at work for my daily coffee and have an entry level Breville Cafe Roma machine at home but will probably upgrade over time. I just bought a good grinder so things are starting to move in the right direction. Grinding with a good grinder makes a world of difference.

I also use the Aeropress for my daily coffee at work. I am the office weirdo coffee guy. The benefit is that when a vendor gave everyone in the office small batch roasted coffee beans, I ended up with 3 packages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
What I’m wondering about in the super-premium level is this: how many home-made drinks would someone have to make to equal finding the best local coffee shop with really good baristas making you a $5 double shot? That’s 600 drinks, almost 2 years. But at home, you’d have to buy the coffee and learn how to actually pull a few shots based on your 2 drinks per day. A barista practices and perfects dozens of times per day.

$3000 or whatever the prices are make absolute sense if you’re planning to open a shop and sell dozens of drinks per day over a few years.
Many reasons and not all of them economic.
I used to home roast so cost price would be under $1 a cup. Say I save $3 per cup. And get exactly the blend I want, roasted the way I prefer and brewed exactly the way I like it. Or I can experiment to my whim. Plus it’s just plain fun. I mean why do a triathlon to struggle from point A to B and back to the start, when boats, motorbikes and cars exist to do that for you?

I could employ a barista to come to my house every morning but that might get even more expensive, and he might not appreciate the sight of me bleary eyed in my underwear.

By comparison, you could spend $30000 on a new kitchen. That would buy you a fancy restaurant meal every night for 2 years, so why do you even have a kitchen?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jakemet85 wrote:
Looking for any recommendations on a home espresso machine....

Anybody have any experience with a certain one they love or hate???

Thanks

I don't quite get the hate for Breville, but it seems like their popularity / mass market has created some backlash. I've had a few different versions of Breville units:

The basic Cafe Roma got me started, but really didn't produce the quality of shot that I was looking for.

The Breville Barista Express was a nice step up. The integrated grinder was a nice feature for me. The pressure gauge was really helpful for me to learn how to tamp.

I now have the Breville Oracle and can't be happier with it. Like the ads say, it really does a great job of combing the features of a semi-automatic and automatic espresso machine.

One thing that you will hear over and over again. Get fresh roasted beans. It took me a while to come to grips with the fact that you just can't expect to get good espresso-worthy beans from the grocery store aisles. I have found a company here in Toronto, that ships beans to me the day after they are roasted (I wait until day 5 to start using them). The crema and flavour is noticeably better when the beans are 'ripe'.
Quote Reply

Prev Next