Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Home Stretch 1/2 IM question.
Quote | Reply
Cuz I always seem to never taper correctly I figure I will ask some "cooler heads". Got Muncie comming up on July 12. The ole' schedule calls for my longer rides to be 50 miles over the next 2 weeks. 28th & 5th. I kinda fell like for the confidence I need more like a 60-65 this weekend and then to 45-50 next week. Have pleanty of 60Mi + rides this year but always get a little self conscious as I get close to the longer races. I am a weaker biker compared to the run and swim. Advice???? FYI I am looking for a sub 5 hr. so not looking just to finish. Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Re: Home Stretch 1/2 IM question. [Freedie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Freedie,

I just did a 1/2 (finished it in just under 5 hours) and did not get the chance to do my last two long rides. I did get in a 42 mile ride a week and a half before the race. If you have a good base built, which it sounds like you do, don't worry about it. You'll probably do better if you are fully recovered. I think the bottom line is to do what will make you feel the most confident. I think intensity is more important in those last two weeks than distance. Go in fresh and race hard. You'll be fine. Good luck!

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Re: Home Stretch 1/2 IM question. [Freedie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The base seems to be there. If your thinking 2:45 or so on the bike I'd shoot for a race pace effort for 1:45 this weekend, at the very most 2:00. That's 15 min warm-up, 1:15 at race effort, 15 min cool down. Follow it up with an easy 30 min run. As an option you can kick in the last mile.

Why? You get a race simulation 2 weeks out. 10-14 days is what the conventional wisdom suggests it takes for us to absorb any training, so your on the edge of gaining anything of significance come this Sat. This is time to test the fitness and adjust the race plan.

The following Sat, a week out, whatever length of ride your mind needs, throw in a few 30 sec accelerations at race pace, run 20-30 mins off the bike easy, with 10-20 sec accelerations. What I'm trying to do with these is allow my body to recover in the coming week by not overtaxing it a week before the race but at the same time the accelerations reminds me I'm getting close to race time.

Love Muncie, great race, take all this with a grain of salt, I'm way out your league still waiting to post 5:xx.
Quote Reply