Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Home Paint job on Titanium Frame???
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever tried painting a titanium frame?

How did you prep it?

Did you prime it?

Paint recommendations (I'm thinking powdercoated black)?

Should I just pay someone else to do it?

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Home Paint job on Titanium Frame??? [Goodtime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pay someone else to do it. Titanium is a relatively new material to paint. Even though it is reported that it is easy to paint, I would trust a pro to do it for you. I couldn't even tell you how to prep the material.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"How did you prep it?"

Wipe it down with alcohol or another solvent.

"Did you prime it?"

You have to prime just about any metal to get the paint to stick well and for the colors to show up. With matte black, you could probably just use primer as the paint.

"Paint recommendations (I'm thinking powdercoated black)?"

Most autosupply stores have a good selection of spray paints. Matte black is a common color.

"Should I just pay someone else to do it?"

No way. Why pay a few hundred bucks and ship it off for weeks, when you can do it yourself for $20 and ride it the next day? I've painted 3 of my bikes in the garage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sacrilege! Don't paint ti! Get it polished to a chrome finish, or buy another steel or AL bike to paint.
Quote Reply
Re: Home Paint job on Titanium Frame??? [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whats a few hundred bucks for paint on a few thousand dollar frame?

Ti needs be primed with an etching primer and adhesive promotor to achive a good bond.

I do designs with bare Ti and paint every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont know about Ti, but look for a commercial powdercoat shop, if you take the components off yourself and bring it in they will powdercoat for about 50 bucks. I had this done by a local place for a steel road bike recently. For 75 they would do a candy powdercoat (color over silver) that looked fantastic, but I wouldnt do that with a beater. I went for matt black. It is still holding up well, and unscratched.

KR
Quote Reply