Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hollowtech BB preload, did I screw up?
Quote | Reply
I've got a threaded Hollowtech BB. I am choosing to space the left crank to clear the rear brake for a power meter.

I think I've made a bad error in choosing to do this. I understand that not having the plastic keeper between the cinch bolts and not having the plastic preload screw in is a small risk in if it loosens during a ride. Big deal, I'd notice and break out the multi tool and tighten it.

Now, the problem:
I used something rather soft as my spacer washer instead of hard. So, there isn't really any "preload" before I torque down the crank arm.

I've noticed I feel like this setup has some drag in it versus my road bike that is totally OEM and no Macgyver BS done to it.

Has this screwed the BB bearings or is this causing appreciable drag or damage in the crank?

Long run I plan to probably sell the meter I have and go with a pedal meter setup to make swapping between bikes easier and totally eliminate this problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Hollowtech BB preload, did I screw up? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have a lot going on there. Are we to assume you didn't use spacer and compression because the crank offset was shifted to drive side? The crank shaft is tapered in the middle and the OD is larger on the ends for good bearing engagement, if you are too far shifted it will cause problems.

However, there are several other potential problems with your setup including spacing method/degree on drive side, seal covers, method of compression without compression nut...

In most cases the crank should spin freely when installed several revolutions with just a couple of NM compression. WTS, threaded hollowtech BB frames are often not the greatest as compared to some others as alignment is subjected to frame tolerances where as other frames can use a BB that threads onto itself.

Without regards to clearance for PM, install to spec to check for freeplay, spin and you will narrow down your root cause.

Good Luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Hollowtech BB preload, did I screw up? [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Though I can’t condone spacing the crank any wider than recommended by Shimano, I’ll try to help. Bottom bracket spacers should only contact the inner race of the bearing. If the spacer touches the outer race of the bearing you’ll experience drag because it’s fixed to the frame while the crank and axle and fixed to the inner race of the bearing.
Quote Reply
Re: Hollowtech BB preload, did I screw up? [Chris B.O.B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fixed. Custom made a hard spacer tonight. A 1” pvc pipe cut to thickness and sanded to .1”.

Preloaded with a work clamp lightly and good to go.

No outer race rub, feels smoother. Probably confirmation bias.

We’re gonna see at the TT on Sunday.
Quote Reply