Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hoka Skyward X
Quote | Reply
Went on sale yesterday or today. I ordered a pair and should have them next week. Looking forward to trying them out.

I said in another thread these shoes are going to be a potential problem at IM and other tri races because people love their Hokas and these are illegal at 48mm of stack. Folks are going to love them when training in them and will want to use them to run the 13.1 or 26.2 in their next 70.3 or IM and have no clue they're not allowed for racing.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aren't those rules only for professionals? I didn't think they were checking shoes of amateur athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea what the actual rules are, but I’d be totally fine if enforcement only happened at the finish line. If you’re trying to KQ you should know these aren’t allowed (if that’s the case) and shouldn’t be able to claim a spot, but why on earth would anyone care if the person finishing 35th in their AG ran in these?
Last edited by: Lagoon: Apr 25, 24 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are super comfy. I tried on a pair about 6 weeks ago. We've had them in the store for sale for the last month.

Everyone who puts them on loves them. 100%.

Not everyone loves the price. I just wish they came in wide

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Aren't those rules only for professionals? I didn't think they were checking shoes of amateur athletes.

Applies to both Pro and AG. It’s a DQ.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 25, 24 14:54
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
These are super comfy. I tried on a pair about 6 weeks ago. We've had them in the store for sale for the last month.

Lack of wide is a bit concerning. I will see how they fit. I’m normally okay in a size 12 regular (but far prefer wide) with Hoka and reviews say they’re roomy.

Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So this is a Hokas answer to Asics Superblast and Adidas Prime X? Yeah I don’t get why they ban these for AG. If they are not going for the money, podium or KQ, it shouldn’t matter. I can see the point though. They want to draw a line somewhere
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Does it replace the Bondi X? I noticed the Bondi X (my shoe) apparently is now gone from the Hoka website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I imagine race officials will enforce stack height rules similar to drafting, i.e. focusing mostly on the pros and FOP age-groupers. I doubt they'll be DQ'ing people right and left at the finish line and withholding finisher medals. It would be, for instance, a PR disaster if IM DQ'ed a cancer survivor or wounded warrior at the Ironman finish line because their shoe is too tall.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [nanban_ronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Listen to the slowtwitch podcast with Jimmy Riccitello - it may not be a race official in the course of the event, it could be a racing peer or a spectator that reports you and prompts an investigation where things like race day photos may be reviewed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this a training shoe primarily? If so, why does it have a carbon plate? Didn’t we just have a long discussion about training in non carbon shoes?

I’m just confused what the intent of the shoe is and who’s the audience.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Does it replace the Bondi X? I noticed the Bondi X (my shoe) apparently is now gone from the Hoka website.

No. It's got a different feel than the Bondi X

This is an ultra plush shoe. In fact I'd call it the most plush running shoe on the market.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 25, 24 16:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to hear how they go for you, I was really disappointed in my last pair of Bondi's. And like many here, I like a wider shoe, but often just go with a bigger one to accommodate, so would like your take on their sizing too..

And to the guy that asked who would these be for, well just about everyone of us that got hooked on the original Bondi and now find the new versions just too stiff. At least that would be my hope..
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Is this a training shoe primarily? If so, why does it have a carbon plate? Didn’t we just have a long discussion about training in non carbon shoes?

Yes, it's a training shoe. I also see this shoe replacing the people who use the Bondi because they are on their feet all day. Medical field, warehouse workers, people standing all day for work. (these groups were ~ 75% of our Bondi sales over the last 24mo, not runners). Now if some of them can get over the price tag is another story.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
trail wrote:

No. It's got a different feel than the Bondi X

This is an ultra plush shoe. In fact I'd call it the most plush running shoe on the market.

So the Bondi X, Hoka's previous plush-and-plated shoe went away at the same time a new plush/plated shoe arrived purely by coincidence?

Edit: Not trying to be snarky...I realize you could have interpreted my question as "Is the new shoe like the Bondi X?"

My question was more, "Does Hoka intend this as their new plush/plated shoe that will replace the Bondi X? Or is the Bondi X just gone because it's being updated?"
Last edited by: trail: Apr 25, 24 17:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

As a Bondi X user I have two answers.

First, a racing shoe is whatever shoe you race in. And the Skyward X or Bondi X are just fine to race in. Yes, you'll give a second or two per km in weight. If that matters to you.

Second, I find myself running a little different in plated shoes. The Bondi X "rewards" subtle differences in stride. I like it. I think it makes sense to train how you race. Back in my collegiate running days I'd wear the minimalist stuff the best marathoners were running...now at age 50....yeah, the Skyward X ain't gonna hold me back.

That said, I think it makes almost no sense for non-runners - medical people, etc - to wear a plated shoe. Unless there's literally no other way to get the magical plushness.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 25, 24 17:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
stevej wrote:

Yes, it's a training shoe. I also see this shoe replacing the people who use the Bondi because they are on their feet all day. Medical field, warehouse workers, people standing all day for work. (these groups were ~ 75% of our Bondi sales over the last 24mo, not runners). Now if some of them can get over the price tag is another story.

Thanks. I ran in a bondi x a few years ago. After 1-2 runs I wasn’t a fan. Ended up sending them back.

How would these compare to the ASICS nimbus? I started running in them recently (nimbus 25) to help with coming back from a major injury and over a year and half of not running. I’m a fan so far but I’m not running anything fast and just trying to put in consistent slow running without anything flaring up. I can see myself running in these long term for easy runs.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [Yutaka Sonik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yutaka Sonik wrote:
Listen to the slowtwitch podcast with Jimmy Riccitello - it may not be a race official in the course of the event, it could be a racing peer or a spectator that reports you and prompts an investigation where things like race day photos may be reviewed.

They're no peer if they report the 52nd in the age group for wearing this or the prime x, they're just an a-hole. Screams Marathon investigation type shenanigans, remember, dumb shit that has caused people to commit suicide.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

So the Bondi X, Hoka's previous plush-and-plated shoe went away at the same time a new plush/plated shoe arrived purely by coincidence?

Edit: Not trying to be snarky...I realize you could have interpreted my question as "Is the new shoe like the Bondi X?"

My question was more, "Does Hoka intend this as their new plush/plated shoe that will replace the Bondi X? Or is the Bondi X just gone because it's being updated?"

The Hoka rep didn't frame it as this is a Bondi X replacement. More along the lines this is a very plush shoe built on the J or H frame (I can't remember which) that is designed for people who want the max cushioning available in any shoe in any brand. When I put it on I took 2 steps forward, turned and asked if it came in wide. If it had I would have ordered it on the spot. Especially given dealer cost.

It's the most plush shoe and the most comfortable shoe I've ever put on my feet. Full stop. Or at least that i can remember.

Sorry I can't more directly answer your is the Bondi X going away. I feel like I heard that it was but don't quote me on that.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

That said, I think it makes almost no sense for non-runners - medical people, etc - to wear a plated shoe. Unless there's literally no other way to get the magical plushness.

What medical people, warehouse workers, people on their feet all day long want is comfort so their feet are not hurting at the end of a 6h surgery or a 12h shift walking 17 miles on concrete. They don't care if it's plated or not. They want cush, they want softness, they want to feel like their feet are being hugged on a pillow and not on a hard piece of foam.

They often self select a plated shoe based on these factors. You can bring them the Brooks ghost to try and the Brooks Glycerin 11/10 they select the Glycerin or Nimbus over the ghost. I suspect they will now select the Skyward

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

How would these compare to the ASICS nimbus? I started running in them recently (nimbus 25) to help with coming back from a major injury and over a year and half of not running. I’m a fan so far but I’m not running anything fast and just trying to put in consistent slow running without anything flaring up. I can see myself running in these long term for easy runs.

I like the Nimbus 26 better than the 25. In fact a lot of our Hoka Bondi users have switched to the Nimbus. Call it ~ 20%

The Skyward is going to be more plush......I think.

Haven't tried them on side by side. I'll do that next week. Currently in ATL doing some aero testing.

If I don't follow up on this shoot me a message to try them on side by side and report back for you and everyone else.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Skyward X [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree completely - should have had "peer" in quotes - the point was that the the podcast spoke to this technical item specifically and a shoe protest could very well come from someone other than an official and that such protests, with sufficient phot or video evidence, would be considered and could result in a DQ. Now why that can't be done with Race Ranger and drafting, who knows - maybe why Race Ranger was turned down in the last minute at Oceanside. Developing technology is code switch for "imagine the barrage of protests we'll get for the video frame with the blinky red light".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
trail wrote:

What medical people, warehouse workers, people on their feet all day long want is comfort so their feet are not hurting at the end of a 6h surgery or a 12h shift walking 17 miles on concrete. They don't care if it's plated or not. They want cush, they want softness, they want to feel like their feet are being hugged on a pillow and not on a hard piece of foam.

My wife, a nurse, wears Hokas. No need to "splain" to me what people who work on their feet like. I'm just making the point that the plate probably has nothing to do with the decision process, and I already made the point that if a plated shoe is the only one that works for other reasons, then fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
trail wrote:

They often self select a plated shoe based on these factors. You can bring them the Brooks ghost to try and the Brooks Glycerin 11/10 they select the Glycerin or Nimbus over the ghost. I suspect they will now select the Skyward

We've had good luck with people choosing the Brooks Ghost Max over the Bondi, plus the price point is far more reasonable, and comes wide.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoka had these to demo at last night's pub run (here as main shoe sponsor for the Big Sur International Marathon).

The Skyward X had rave reviews from all the runners demoing them. I really like them myself, very plush and light, didn't feel the height compromised stability. I can't really compare them to other new cushioned trainers as I mostly run trails in some older shoes. I would definitely start running again on harder surfaces with these.

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply

Prev Next