Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info?
Quote | Reply
So...who can tell me about this new shoe???

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/...-one-one-rincon.html

Sure the few reviews say it's "less cushioned," but compared to what? A Bondi? Clifton 4,5? If a Clifton 1 can be ~7.8oz...why can't this 7.5 be cushioney?

If anyone can opine: I'm a big guy (205#), but can throw down a 23min 5K (not on fire, but not slow either). My favorite shoes have been the Clifton 1 and Speedgoat...but sometimes I find them a bit mushy. For shorter runs or <13.1, I love the Kinvara 8 for its responsiveness (it seems to spring me forward), but it beats me up over longer distances.

Basically I want a "firmer" lighter Clifton OR a slightly more cushiony Kinvara. And this new Hoka has good numbers...and looks sexy.

EDIT: Tried to add photos for those that don't want to "click," but keep getting error message.
Last edited by: smartyiak: Apr 9, 19 6:13
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [smartyiak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roadtrailrun folks have been testing it and sound like it might be the shoe you're looking for. Not as mushy as a Clifton, but with enough foam to be pleasant for longer. harder runs. I'll be getting a pair soon as there available. You might want to try a Skechers Razor Hyper too. Love mine...waiting for the Go Runs Hyper to be released as they will be great training compliments to the Razor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you run in the Napali at all? The Napali was a cheaper version of the Clifton 3 and the Rincon is replacing the Napali in the lineup.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run in the Napali and am enjoying it. They messed with the arch area on the Clifton 4, I just hope the Rincon is OK in this area.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I hope they're similar as advertised.

Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
roadtrailrun folks have been testing it and sound like it might be the shoe you're looking for. Not as mushy as a Clifton, but with enough foam to be pleasant for longer. harder runs. I'll be getting a pair soon as there available. You might want to try a Skechers Razor Hyper too. Love mine...waiting for the Go Runs Hyper to be released as they will be great training compliments to the Razor.

The only Skechers I tried were the GoRun Ultra. They were waaaayyy too mushy. I swear I was more sore from my legs adjusting to the imbalance of the shoe.

TheStroBro wrote:
Did you run in the Napali at all? The Napali was a cheaper version of the Clifton 3 and the Rincon is replacing the Napali in the lineup.
Didn't try the Napali...not sure why...just never did.

I just got a pair of Altra Duo on clearance that I'm gonna try. They literally arrived last night, so I have no opinion (other than the black/red is super ugly...I'll have to not look down while running :)). I do love the Foot Shape idea they use; why don't more companies use it???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grabbed both pairs of Napalis I have on Sale from Running Warehouse, the second one hit a price where I was like: gotta grab that. Bondi 6s are like on their last 40 miles, so I'll probably grab the 5 and also grab the Bondi B since Dan thinks that may be the greatest shoe ever.

So...some more info.

At least in an 8.5 size per RoadTrailRun

Clifton 6 (8.6oz)shaves and ounce from the Clifton 5 (9.6oz)

The Rincon (7.1oz)

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Apr 9, 19 17:41
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an (odd) update. I happened to go to Nike Outlet to get my son some sneakers. I have NEVER been a fan of Nike shoes (the only Nike I recall liking is the OG LunarTrainer).

But they had a pair of Zoom Fly SP on the clearance rack. At $46, I figured "why not."

I have 4 runs in (about 40k) and they are exactly what I wanted. They seem cushioney...but also responsive and FAST! I ran three days in a row and had almost no soreness at all.

If these things last, I might become a hoarder. It's a little early, but these have sky-rocketed to my vaunted "favorite shoe of all time" category.

Downsides: 1. they seem a little warm...but I Was in Wiliamsburg, VA., so maybe it was just warm out <shrug> and 2) the shoe I got was white on white...maybe that's why they were on sale...b/c the are UGLY. I kinda like them....maybe like modern art: so ugly, they're appealing :).
Last edited by: smartyiak: Apr 29, 19 9:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also very curious about the Rincon. At Ocenside this year I stopped by the Hoka booth and chatted with the reps there.. basically I was trying to toss support for keeping the Clifton 1 around forever (I bought 10 pair during this last production run... wish I had bought 20!) Anyway, they ran in back and pulled out the Ricon and told me it was coming soon and that it was "basically" the Clifton 1 with a few minor improvements. That this was the shoe they were coming out with to respond to all the people that wanted the Clifton 1 to come back. I hope that is true but I won't be convinced till I try the Rincon (and really.. with 8 pairs of Clifton 1's still sitting on the shelf I am good for a bit.) I will note that the day the Ricon went pre-sale on Hoka's website they took the Clifton 1 down :-/.. Not sure where there were with C1 stock but it is completely gone from their website and the few running stores I called said they can't order it in any size (maybe they are all boxed up and headed to some running closeout store, etc... but regardless it does seem the 2nd run of Clifton 1's is officially over. Fingers crossed the Rincon delivers. For me it is more about the footbed than anything else... I have a very low arch and the C1 is a very flat shoe in the arch area which is perfect for me. Any shoe with an arch (or any attempt to put in arch support) just creates a situation where I am now landing with all my weight on the arch of my foot (painful and not sustainable!)

Anyway... if anyone gets their feet into a Rincon please post back with the recon:).

Quote | Reply
I love my Napali’s. Like you, I bought a couple of pairs from Running Warehouse. The weight difference between them and my Clifton 5’s is significant. I’m hoping the Rincon is pretty much a rebadged Napali. My LRS said the Rincons would be available sometime in July. I didn’t bite on the preorder email since I wanted to try them on in store to get the right sizing. The lighter weight of the Clifton 6’s also have me interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a post release bump for some early reviews. Sounds like Hoka has a winner on its hands:

https://www.believeintherun.com/...-performance-review/

https://www.jackrabbit.com/...ne-one-rincon-review

https://www.roadtrailrun.com/...multi-tester-in.html

I'm still loving my FlySP, so I'm holding off for now...but I'm prolly gonna cave eventually and try a pair.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Not as mushy as a Clifton, but with enough foam to be pleasant for longer. harder runs.

Sounds like Clayton to me. I'm a big fan of Clifton and Clayton. I haven't used recent models, so I'm curious about this Rincon.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you mentioned it...reminds me of a softer Clayton 2 Kona but without the arch blisters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A pair just arrived from running warehouse last evening. Excited to give them a try. First blush, it appears that they are pretty close to the Claytons. I think I am going to like them.

Hoka sizing continues to perplex me. For 40 yearsish I have been either a large size 12, or a small 12.5. Very narrow range in my sizing. Claytons were perfect in 12.5. I am on the border with Carbon X and am wearing a 12. The Mack 2 I am an 11.5 (NEVER been that before) with plenty of room. I ordered a 12 and 12.5 in Rincon and then send one back. The 12.5 is huge and the 12 has plenty of room, but probably ok. I am just a bit surprised in the size variance from model to model.

I'll report back after I give the Rincon a good go.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you think?

I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Vaporfly Next and think I'm sending them back. I honestly think the Rincon and MAYBE the Carbon X would be far better for a 3:10-15 Ironman Marathon. The Next and the two prior iterations just seem to do best when you're running low 6's or faster. I haven't had one run slower than 7 pace that felt great.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  Today I ran eight out launch in the Rincon. That was the first real run in them, and although an easy day, they felt remarkably good for a first run. I believe I like them better than the Carbon X. For some reason, but Carbon X Seems to make me supinate. Rincon does not do that.

The only odd thing about the Rincon is that they feel a bit “long.” For example, I run through a college that has a very long set of steps and my toe caught a few times as I ran up the steps. That has never happened before.

I’m excited to try them a few more times. They really feel good!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to nobody in particular...

I have about a week of running in the Rincons and I think Hoka has a real winner. Obviously not as plush as the Bondi but certainly nice and comfy. They feel a lot like the Clifton 1 to me although maybe a bit more responsive. Light years better than the Clifton 2 through 5 (haven’t tried the 6) which are all pieces of shit.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I have about a week of running in the Rincons and I think Hoka has a real winner. Obviously not as plush as the Bondi but certainly nice and comfy. They feel a lot like the Clifton 1 to me although maybe a bit more responsive. Light years better than the Clifton 2 through 5 (haven’t tried the 6)

thanks, I have seen the Rincons but not been able to run in them yet.
LRS had a Hoka demo day and I tried the Clifton 6's, they are way better than the 5s, plan to get a pair once they go on discount sales in a year or so..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like them. I was hoping for a clifton 3 / napali clone, but they feel more similar to a clayton so far (lighter but less squishy than clifton 3). But I haven't been able to do anything other than easy runs in them as I'm nursing a soleus strain at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered some to replace my Nepalis. I'm hoping I like them the same, I really loved the Nepalis.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a pair of low-mileage Napalis; I only use them when I run short distances at lunch on a Treadmill, or for Oly-sprint races. They're great; a bit narrow for my wide feet, but good padding up in front.

I just got and used a pair of Hoka Rincons. They're also good - I did however notice a definite difference between then and my Napalis and Bondis. Feels definitely firmer than the Bondis, but that's likely because the Bondi6 has a real 'squish' to it when running. The Rincons still feel a lot more cushiony than all the Brooks shows I've worn.

The Rincon also feels firmer to me than the Napalis - less of that big forefoot padding. Not a problem for me, just a slightly different feel. Both of them work great for me, although I would still say that the Bondi6 is definitely the most maxi-cushiony shoe for those that feel they need the maximum.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After a couple of runs, I like them, but I agree, they don't really compare to the Nepali, the Nepali is softer/squishier. They do feel good though, so I'm happy with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must be the only person that doesn't like this shoe. It gave me a blister on the side of my big toe. I've never had a shoe do that in the past. Really odd and not sure why.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Rincon - Anyone with info? [jztelemark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, it looks like this shoe is great, but durability is a big concern. The reviews from runners @ running warehouse seem to think their shoes won't last past 250-300 miles. Now, how does that compare to the Clifton 6. If you get ~400-450 miles from the 6, from a cost perspective only, the easy choice is the Clifton.

That assumes you get 400 from the Clifton, though....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I headed to Fleet Feet to try on the Clifton 6's but the sales person steered me to the Rincon. My beef with Hoka's is they are too cushioned and isolated feeling. I have a bit of nephropathy in my left foot due to ACL reconstruction and beefy Hoka's make it hard to "feel" the edge of a curb. In any case, I tried the Cliftons and felt the same dull sensation.
Then tried the Rincon. Wow, this is a cool shoe! It has the cushion Hoka's are famous for but you can actually feel the road. I've put ~150 miles in them, mostly trail running, and really haven't had any issues. I like that the toe box is pretty open (can wiggle my toes) and it doesn't have a huge arch build up. This said, they are somewhat tight; I couldn't put in my orthotic insole and the insole they provide is glued in. Ironically, the laces are really long.
This said, I am really impressed with these shoes.
I typically run in Nike Pegasus but these seem to have kept me more injury free.
Also it's interesting that Ironman has partnered with Hoka and the Rincon in particular.
https://www.ironmanstore.com/brands/hoka
Quote Reply

Prev Next