Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hoka One One negative effects?
Quote | Reply
I am wondering whether anyone has experienced pain after switching to Hoka One Ones. I recently picked up a pair of Bondi B's (at a great price) and was really excited to run in them. I had been running in Asics Landreth 7's (discontinued, but like a Cumulus) and was experiencing some knee pain. I have worked over the last two-plus years to alter my gait and cadence and am a midfoot striker and run at a cadence of about 180. I am 51 years old, 6'1", 225. I have been running regularly for about four years, along with cycling and weight training, so I am in reasonably good condition and fairly strong. I run 20-30 miles/week. The first two runs in the Hokas were great, but not very long (3.5 and 4.5 miles). I felt like I was floating and was in love. Four days later, I sent 5.5 miles. My hips started hurting about mile 4, and I barely finished. It was a hot day, so I wrote it off to that. I ran eight more at distances ranging between 3.5 and 4.5 miles with no problems, and then yesterday ran another 5.2 and felt the same hip pain that I had on my other "long" run. I have not had knee pain, which is a plus, but this hip pain is something that I have never had before. I know that Hokas are touted as being good for longer runs, including ultras, and I am not anywhere near that (nor do I plan to be), but I am a little concerned that I can't get past 5 miles in them. What have others of you experienced?
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One negative effects? [agingvter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i went to hokas about 3 months ago - liked running in them but afterwards my legs ached in ways I never felt before - in general joints felt much better, feet hurt less - but yes some hip pain and general soreness/aches.

I decided I would give them a solid 8 weeks - after about 2 months things got better - did a HIM in them and the general pain i feel at teh end of a half was far less in the hokas - after three months i dont have any of the soreness i first experienced - though running still tears me up pretty good (48 and not a svelt guy here) - i'm pretty sure the hokas changed my gate a bit

at this point i am a hoka guy - gonna do an IM in them in Aug - see how that goes - but still in terms of overall after run discomfort - hokas have left me feel the best

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
welcome to your 50s. you're going to have all kinds of injuries for the rest of your life. they just magnify as you age. it's not usually going to be caused by your running shoes. that said, why don't you run 5 or 6 miles in another shoe and see if you have hip pain? is it because you're afraid you'll have knee pain?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been running in Hokas exclusively for about 18 months now after a series of foot/calf/achilles issues that had me injured for nearly a year. I've not had one issue running in the Hokas and, IMO, they are the only thing that has kept me running in the last 18 months.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have had knee problems, I think the Hoka One One could be a great fit. That being said I had a similar situation with tendonitis on the top of my foot from running in a very stable show and then racing in spikes or flats. What made the difference was running in minimalist running shoes for me to strengthen my ankles and feet that I wasn't getting in a really stable shoe. When I first attempted this I tried running too far in them and it put a lot of stress on my feet and my knees because my body wasn't used to the new stress. What helped was gradually incorporating them in, first through strides, then to short runs so my gait and my body could adjust. That's what I would recommend. Start doing strides and short runs in them until your body gets used to them.

Hope that helps,
Vince
Tri Bike Run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an older runner, who's nearly always been a little short for my weight, I found the Hokas absorbed a lot of the pounding that running caused.
There is no doubt in my mind that they force you to change your gait. That change will manifest itself in aches and pains that were never evident before.
Hip pain was one of them for me. They are a surprisingly rigid shoe, which has an affect.
Before trying Hokas I was a confirmed lightweight shoe enthusiast, including barefoot training (which I still like).

An example of how different.
I have often done a spin class without cycle shoes (forgotten or just lazy) and then run after on a treadmill (winters here can be chilly).
In any standard or lightweight shoe that can cause some pain in the arch of your foot as the shoe happily bends over the pedal, especially if you get out of the saddle.
In Hokas this does not happen, no bend whatsoever.

Older bodies do not adapt as quickly, get used to that. But they can be taught!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if the more cushioned experience of the Hokas is causing you to allow your hips to tilt more. When landing the non-loaded side should stay supported by the muscles and not drop (or not drop much). When using your less cushioned shoes you may be maintaining form in the hip naturally. The cushion may be luring you to into poor biomechanics. If this is the case, strengthen your core, hip stabilizers & leg adductors, and maintain awareness of keeping your lower core activated.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the Bondi B and the way the shoe locks in the foot caused all kinds of foot pain that only got better when I stopped using them. Should Hoka make a shoe with a different last that is truly neutral I would go back. The cushioning is that good.
But the stability mechanisms built in is not meant for truly neutral mechanics and since you run in the Cumulus ( I run in the Glycerin) then they might not work.
Good Luck! John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you do this when you do a single legged squat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2hX4qry5jY

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a similar experience, stinson tarmacs. Feet, ankles and "normal" knee pain gone, but replaced by a different knee pain in an area that had never had any pain in my life. And it occurred only with the Hoka's, right after each run. So I ended up switching to Sketcher ultra and rides (much lighter, softer and more flexible but more conventional). Of course, I see Hoka is coming out with the much lighter Cliftons so I am intrigued...I'd love to get that cushion in a light responsive package, but not sure if it's really possible, that I'm asking for the best of all worlds.

Shoe choice is so personal, I feel it is based on a preferred resiliency/feedback to the runner more than any particular technology feature. Sketcher have a soft and dampened feeling I like, but someone else may not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Hokas but i can only walk in them. Running in them literally shears the skin off the sides of my feet. Too narrow of a toe box.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going on 2 years now with Hokas exclusively. From my very first run (a 12 miler) I have been pain free and I find my legs to be much fresher than they used to be in previous shoes (Brooks, KSwiss). But, they are definitely not for everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a 49.99 year old female. I loved my Hokas at first, but like you experienced troubles on runs around 4+ miles. I have duck feet/knock knees (isn't that attractive!) and found that in my case I really need to feel the ground more with my big toe to signal what goes on higher up my leg, especially around the outside of my knee. I got terrible knee issues running in them. I finally switched back to traditional running shoes and I am doing tons better. I think the cushioning is good for many, but for others it can disrupt the gait. :) Best wishes, Marianne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great forum (I am new to it), and what great and informative responses. I am gathering that the gait can be an issue, and I went for a 3 1/2 miler today paying particular attention to my form and gait. Granted, it was a shorter run, but no problems (and the cushy ride is wonderful for my tired and aching knees). After reading some of the responses, it occurred to me that the cushy ride of the Hokas has lulled me into a kind of laziness, and when I went for a run in my Vibrams yesterday, I could notice a huge difference between the way I was running in them and the way I was running in the Hokas. I imagine that if I concentrate on running in the Hokas with the gait and form that the Vibrams encourage (along with doing some hip-strengthening), my problem may correct itself. Thank you all for your feedback!
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One negative effects? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might try the ALTRA Olympus. Larger toe box.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One negative effects? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
I have been running in Hokas exclusively for about 18 months now after a series of foot/calf/achilles issues that had me injured for nearly a year. I've not had one issue running in the Hokas and, IMO, they are the only thing that has kept me running in the last 18 months.

+100

I didn't run for several years due to chronic, unrelenting plantar fasciitis. From my very first run in Hokas (on about April 1 this year), I have had not the slightest foot pain.

No matter how much I overdo it, my muscles get tired, but my joints and feet don't hurt.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One negative effects? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to agree with Dan. After 35, the injuries & recovery process was a whole new game. Seems like ever since 35, I've been spending more time each year on injury prevention than actual training. Alternating a run/bike day seems to have kept the body happier, as does a full night's rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One negative effects? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
I tried the Bondi B and the way the shoe locks in the foot caused all kinds of foot pain that only got better when I stopped using them. Should Hoka make a shoe with a different last that is truly neutral I would go back. The cushioning is that good.
But the stability mechanisms built in is not meant for truly neutral mechanics and since you run in the Cumulus ( I run in the Glycerin) then they might not work. Good Luck! John
Have you tried Altras? The Provision with the 'stability' insert--which appears to be nothing more than extra cushioning--doesn't offer quite the cushioning as Hokas but is very neutral. I've also put the Provision insert into Topo Athletics MT (2mm offset) and really like the effect.

alex_korr wrote:
I love my Hokas but i can only walk in them. Running in them literally shears the skin off the sides of my feet. Too narrow of a toe box.
Ditto! My old Stinson Tarmacs stretched over time as my feet re-spread (post ORIF and many months of non-weight bearing), but they are still too narrow.

mzappella wrote:
...I really need to feel the ground more with my big toe.... I think the cushioning is good for many, but for others it can disrupt the gait. :)
Exactly, that's the downside to all that cushioning, and also to stiffer shoes like the Conquest.

agingvter wrote:
...it occurred to me that the cushy ride of the Hokas has lulled me into a kind of laziness, and when I went for a run in my Vibrams yesterday, I could notice a huge difference between the way I was running in them and the way I was running in the Hokas. I imagine that if I concentrate on running in the Hokas with the gait and form that the Vibrams encourage (along with doing some hip-strengthening), my problem may correct itself.
Consistent evaluation of biomechanics via self-awareness and outside, expert help is key.

Rocky M wrote:
Seems like ever since 35, I've been spending more time each year on injury prevention than actual training. Alternating a run/bike day seems to have kept the body happier, as does a full night's rest.
I've found that via dedication to staying healthy, not pushing the absolute edge of the envelope, keeps me out of injury, which ultimately has led to better fitness (since I'm not wasting time recovering from injury). And, as you mention, so too has multi-discipline training and lots of sleep.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to pick up a pair of Rapa Nui 2 trail shoes fairly cheap and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Mid-foot striker, 6'4", 190, cadence usually right around 180. First run in them was around 4ish miles. Went to stretch afterward and my muscles were so loose I didn't feel like I needed to stretch. Three more runs of up to 8 miles and I felt the same thing...just unbelievably keeping muscles and joints loose. Problem was I donated 4 toenails to the cause. I am 100% sure it is the appropriate size. There is something about the toebox and my toe off that just doesn't work. Sucks because I really want to like these shoes as there is no question I experience less fatigue, but I've lost my fair share of toenails over the years and I've found enough shoes where it isn't necessary no matter how long I run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could very well be. I have adductor problems 1 week into using hokas...maybe start off lower miles and really watch stride length. Someone else mentioned new hokas and groin pull to me a while ago. But didn't connect the dots... A higher platform could create such scenarios.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running in the Bondi 4's for a year now and love them. I have had no issues with them at all. No full IM in them yet but they were wonderful on my half IM. I also run in the Challenger ATR for trail running. I've done half trail marathons with no issues. I'm going to try the Clifton 3's just to see how they are but love my Bondis. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One negative effects? [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Single leg squat on a foam surface will pretty much replicate how your lower extremities will behave in a pair of Hokas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes Hoka One One running shoes are typically characterized as a very plush highly cushioned running shoe which is very popular with runners. Now if one were to cut the typical Hoke One One classic Bondi running shoe in half along its length as was recently done on a Youtube video online; one would literally see a very substantial highly cushioned midsole component to the running shoe that basically encases ones foot in a protective bathtub enclosure made of protective cushioning foam.

Now this has become a highly desireable characteristic in quite a lot of running shoes such as the Asic gel running shoes as well as any other popular cushioned brand name running shoe; but its safe to say that the Hoka One One Bondi has just about the highest know amount of midsole foot cushioning in their typical running shoe.

Now this can be both a good thing and also a bad thing at the same time; depending on ones perspective. Now if one is an in shape and athletic runner; then a good running shoe with plenty of that desired midsole foot cushioning can be quite a good thing indeed; but it also has the potential to also be a bad thing also as well;

simply because of this pillowy soft midsole foot cushioning platform itself; now allows ones foot to sink quite a bit downwards into this midsole foot cushioning platform which also now also causes the connected upper knee joint as well as the associated connected upper hip joint to sink down and alter its relatively stable running alignment with each foot strike;

now for some it sometimes causes knee pain along the inside of their knees and for others it causes hip pain; now this is typically usually primarily caused by insufficiently conditioned and strengthened hip flexor muslces which is quite common in average runners;
now the good news one can generally simply remedy this by going to the gym and readily working with a physical fitness certified atheletic trainer;

to have them properly work on strengthening ones hip flexor muscles with you, by simply doing exercises designed to build up muscluar strength and muscular endurance in ones hip flexor muscles over time by having the physical fitness certified atheletic trainer design a hip flexor exercise training regimented exercise program that works for that particular individual;

so yes one can definitely eventually effectively wear and finally safely enjoy running and wearing highly cushioned classic Hoka One One running shoes quite safely without any of the described knee and/or hip pain; provided one has sufficiently strengthened ones hip flexor muscles; now in the mean time while one is working on strengthening ones hip flexor muscles with ones physical fitness certified athletic trainer;

now one can certainly do extended power walking while wearing both protective ankle braces and also protective knee braces; this to help keep both of ones ankles/knees in the relative associated perfect running vertical alignment position, with ones hip joint and its associated hip flexor muscles while they are in the active dynamic process of being strengthened until that process has been safely successfully completed eventually without potential unintended injuries to ones ankles, knees or hip joints; while working with ones physical fitness certified athletic trainer;

now the other major secondary reason for utilizing and wearing both of the protective ankle braces and the protective knee braces during this period of time while one is actively dynamically strengthening ones hip flexor muscles over time; is simply because it naturally allows one to directly proprioceptively actively dynamically sense ones relative associated perfect running vertical alignment body position in relation to ones hip flexor muscles that one is strengthening;

now this makes it not only much easier to actively monitor ones real time running muscles user's feedback but also make it much more safe and a truly highly effective exercise training regimen program, when one is strengthening ones hip flexor muscles at the same time; this will of course naturally reduce the amount of time that it takes over the long run to actually eventually condition, strengthen and train ones hip flexor muscles to the desired objective target muscle strength; so that one can eventually safely enjoy running and wearing even highly cushioned classic Hoka One One Bondi running shoes quite safely without any of the described knee and/or hip associated signs /symptoms pain that has been previously described.
Last edited by: daniel58: Aug 5, 19 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One negative effects? [daniel58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is there a particular reason why you've chosen to resurrect this thread, 3 years old?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next