Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [jkahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[Replying to the thread in general.]

Based largely on the recommendations in this thread, I just purchased a pair of Bondi B's. I'm hoping somebody can help with sizing. My shoes are a US size 11 and are a bit tight, especially in the toebox. But, I suspect that I may have gotten a pair with the older (unisex) size. The tag in the tongue is marked "UK 10.5, EU 45.3, USm 11, USw 12". The last two US sizes lead me to believe that the shoe is made on a unisex last. The Hoka website lists unisex, men's, and woman's version of the Bondi B. The tag has a date code suggesting the shoes were made in December, 2011.

So, I'm guessing that the unisex shoes shown on the website are the older models, and the new m/f shoes have the new sizing. Can anyone confirm or refute this? Can someone with a "new" shoe tell me if the shoe or box says "mens" anywhere, and whether or not the tag in the shoe says "USw"?

If it turns out that I just have an old unisex shoe, then I'll try to exchange it for a newer men's in the same size. Otherwise, I'll size up.

Thanks for your help.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Stinson Bs say they were made in August of 2011 and also have the USM and USW sizing. I'm a 10.5 2E, but got 11s to accomodate my wider feet. Fit is pretty good but not perfect. Lengthwise, they're fine.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like you got a pair prior to them rejiggering the sizing. i'd send them in for a half-size up. just make sure the half-size up isn't out of the newer batch ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: May 30, 12 12:38
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys.

Dan, do you happen to know if the unisex sizes are in fact the old models, and the mens/womens sizes are the new ones?

If you have a new model, does the tag in the tongue still list both USM and USW sizes?

The issue for me is toebox width, which I would presume is bigger on a mens shoe. If I do really have a unisex one, then I'd like to try to exchange it for the same size in mens, rather than size up to the next unisex size.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afaik, and as well as i can remember, the unisex as well as specific mens and womens models have always been around.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got my Stenson B's today. They seem to fit similar to my other running shoes, NB, asics, avia. Maybe a little bit Narrower. I'll run in them tomorrow.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
I just got my Stenson B's today. They seem to fit similar to my other running shoes, NB, asics, avia. Maybe a little bit Narrower. I'll run in them tomorrow.

What does the tag on the tongue say?

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok just put on the same socks I run in and walked the dog two miles. I think they are smaller then my other running shoes. I just called Running Warehouse ( the place I bought them) and asked if anyone else has this issue. The woman said no. Anyway, I could just go with my very thin socks and I might be ok. But I think I'm sending them back for a half size up. They said just send them back if I wanted.

As for the tongue
UK 9.5 EU44 USm10 USw11

Made 08/2011

Hope this helps

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: May 30, 12 16:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stinsons are not smaller, imo, than other shoes. they run true to size.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I am about ready to take the plunge. Which model should I start with, and where should I get them?
In Reply To:

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I just tried my asics, NB, and Hoka's one pair after another. Maybe Dan's right...it just might be me.

Running Warehouse will take them back. They give you a return shipping label too. Easy peezy. Just try them for yourself.

One thing, I already like them :)

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you want the bondi. that's the shoe. either inside out sports, runningwarehouse.com, zappos. of course, my preference is inside out, because owner cid cardoso runs in this shoe himself. but the important part, for you, is that you get them. several colorways.

one thing: in a couple of months, i'm hearing that a more tri-friendly version is due to come out. basically, loops on the heel and tongue to get them on quickly with. maybe some mesh here and there.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one thing: in a couple of months, i'm hearing that a more tri-friendly version is due to come out. basically, loops on the heel and tongue to get them on quickly with. maybe some mesh here and there.
----------
Good to hear. I was going to get the Bondi next but maybe I'll hold off for a bit.

I went with the Stinson B because they are for my long runs which have a combo bike path/ fire road/trail.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will add into this thread by saying that the Bondi B's have saved my running. I am heavier runner 220 plus & I was developing issues in my feet. My mileage was reduced drastically as my feet would be extremely sore if I ran more that 15k at a time.

I am amazed how much difference these shoes make- I have owned these shoes for about a month and have pretty much tripled my mileage to the point where my wife got in the car in the car on Sunday to look for me as I was over an hour late from my run.

They have allowed my to run longer as I dont have any feet/joint pain, I now wake up the next day after a long run (20K+) with only muscle soreness.

They are worth every penny if you have joint, arthritic issues or if you are a hevier runner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I called the US Hoka distributor, and he said that all of the Bondi B's are built on the same last. The mens/womens/unisex designations are just different colors.

The Stinson is apparently a different beast...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are the hoka's on the fast 10k and 15k trail runs? Lots of switchbacks and single track.

Bondi's or Stinsons?

the hoka brand was born as a shoe for ultra trail runners. the mafate is the flagship trial shoe. but i run trains in the bondi fine. and the founder of the company - who is an ultra trail runner - also runs trails in the bondi, when i last checked.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [mike@wahoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike@wahoo wrote:
How are the hoka's on the fast 10k and 15k trail runs? Lots of switchbacks and single track.

Bondi's or Stinsons?

Hokas are definitively not for all of your miles...that said, they are great for about 75% of your mileage...the long runs, the recovery runs, the easy morning runs...pretty much anything not short and fast...I probably wouldn't take em to the track or to the local 5k...

Dan is right, the Mafate is the trail shoe that started it for Hoka and the Stinson is the current "crossover" shoe...I race the Bondis in ultras...50k and beyond...I stick to a more responsive mountain racing flat when racing a short trail race...but, I have friends who race in the Bondi on short trail races and love the fact that their legs are not beat up the next day...

Just be aware that there is a bit of getting used to with Hokas...a more minimal drop will put some stress on your Achilles and calfs...and there is a bit more material under foot, so getting used to a slightly different foot plant takes some time...especially on rocky or rooty trails...

PS...I'm 6' 165 and am a pretty classic forefoot striker...started as a runner and switched to triathlon 20 years ago...
Last edited by: jager66: Jun 3, 12 13:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bondi B's arrived in the mail today. Only had a short run tonight but I have to admit that while the 'sponginess' is a very different feel, they felt very smooth and I didn't feel like I was losing any momentum or energy. I'll give them a few weeks of good running and post my feedback. Tapering this week, so the true testing won't really start until next week.

Thanks for all the input.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [mike@wahoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike@wahoo wrote:

Bondi's or Stinsons?

The Evo's have more bite in the outsole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran at 9,400' here (Mt Charleston to avoid Las Vegas heat) and loved the Mafate Lows! Really, truly all that is promised and then some for trail running. Thanks for the introduction; I am a convert to something better!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, i want to run that trail, looks yummy. And to keep with the topic of the thread, i'm still loving my Bondi B's, and i'm pretty sure they are worn out too. They still have a nice bounce to them after a lot of hours running and walking on them, will get a new pair soon and see if i can feel the difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty,

Any idea how many miles you got out of the shoes? I don't mind paying $170.00 as long as I get some descent miles out of the shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [Ann Arbor Jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I probably have only run a couple 100 miles but i walk in them at least 4 days a week, usually 8 to 10 hours a day. I've been doing that for over 6 months at least, so a lot of foot time in the shoe. I was always told that walking around in shoes breaks them down, but perhaps that was just an urban myth, but my shoes still feel great when i go run in them.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great stuff! Doing a 33-mile trail race in Big Bear in mine this Sunday. Looking forward to seeing how my legs and feet feel around mile 20! I have the Stinson Bs.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next