Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hoka Bondi B - quick review
Quote | Reply
Hoka Bondi B - quick review

In short, awesome shoe ;

Never have felt anything like it; incredibly light for it's size;This is definitely going to be my long distance shoe;
I've done some tempo runs (6minute miles for me), and some hill work so far on this shoe, and my leg recovery has been awesome.

A quick overview of me

I am 46, just under 6' / 180 pounds / high arches -- with damaged tendons in right foot and a fused tibia/fibia on the same leg.

Because of high arches -- I like to run in a neutral shoe --something that lets my foot pronate a little and allow the arch to move.

I have a good mid foot to forefoot stride;

I am an okay runner I think; my IM runs are usually between between 3:15 and 3:45 / 1/2iron runs between 1:20 and 1:40 - I run around a 17 to 18 5K -- so nothing extraordinary but okay I think;

I do well with the Asic Keyanus (sorry about the spelling), and Zoots TT3.0 and 4.0 -- Newtons are a bad choice for me because the cantilever effect of those shoes puts a lot of stress on my arches and my damaged tendons.

I weighted all these shoes; I can't find my notes, but the Hokas are almost as light as the Zoots, a lot lighter than the ASICs, and about the same as the Newtons (I think).

The biggest difference for me with the Hokas, is that it slightly changed where/how my foot lands so I've adjusted my stride a little.

For a big shoe, they are of course "cushioney" but somehow incredibly light and responsive; "road feedback" is acceptable to me. I am sure I am losing some speed because of their shock-absorption features but for an HIM or IM run I don't think this would matter at all.

I live in the NorthEast but ordered mine from the Boulder Running Company out in Colorado -- not a lot of U.S. retailers stock this shoe.

Only downside is that I have to sneak them out of the house so my wife doesn't realize how much money I've spent.

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [jkahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Photo?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of me or the shoe ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkahan wrote:
of me or the shoe ?

you and the shoe.... together, maybe on the couch with only a blue fleece blanket and a bottle of wine.

Quote:
I am an okay runner I think; my IM runs are usually between between 3:15 and 3:45 / 1/2iron runs between 1:20 and 1:40 - I run around a 17 to 18 5K -- so nothing extraordinary but okay I think;
of the house so my wife doesn't realize how much money I've spent.

Don't fall prey to ST group think. For most folks out there, 17-18 on a 5k is awesome, especially at 46. Same with the other times. You are a good runner.

Maybe one day I'll be that fast too...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Quote:

of the house so my wife doesn't realize how much money I've spent.

Don't fall prey to ST group think. For most folks out there, 17-18 on a 5k is awesome, especially at 46. Same with the other times. You are a good runner.

Maybe one day I'll be that fast too...

except there are huge swings between all his times indicating hes lying about them.

a 1:20 HIM, thats <1:15 open half give me a break
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
classic -

"there are swings in his times, which means he must be lying about them."

honestly, crap like this is why i'm considering walking away from slowtwitch.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What I thought:
Pros-
Cushion
light
comfortable

cons
To much cushion for me
stiff upper
warm shoe

Shoe was alright. Not sure I would wear it in an IM. It is a very warm shoe and I would have to see how it did when wet. Looks like it could absorb a lot of water.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [Fork-Um] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"To much cushion for me stiff upper warm shoe"

are you sure you're talking about the bondi b? and not the mafate? i have both, and the mafate is definitely a stiff upper compared to your typical road shoe, because it's not a road shoe. it's designed for trail ultra runs.

but the bondi b has a very soft upper. softer than my adrenalines, and my asics lightweight trainers.

but they're cushy, no doubt about that. i don't find that they're slower than a typical lightweight trainer, i find it quite a fast shoe, even in a 5k. however, it's not a racing flat, no confusing this shoe with a green silence.

i think the benefit of this shoe for a triathlete is in half-mary and up in a triathlon. leg soreness will really slow you down, hence the value of a cushy shoe like this. it might be slower than a racing flat for a lighter weight triathlete in an oly or shorter, but, for guys like me - 165lb - or heavier, even an oly run wears on your legs.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Preferably you in the shoes, but I'll settle for the shoes.... ;)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't be the only one who involuntarily burst out an expletive when they saw the price of these things?

Honestly, where will it stop?
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Picked up a pair since Dan's review made alot of sense to me. Mostly an adventure racer doing 24 hour plus stuff with other events thrown in but usually long. Did a 12 hour Rogaine a few weeks ago and we were out for about 9 1/2 hours. Towards the end of the race we came to a couple of road sections and my teammate who is faster than I didn't want to run. He said it was because his feet were so sore. Mine were too so I was glad. :0) I think that these shoes will make a big difference at the long stuff plus neither of us are light-weights.

I do not notice anything other than the cushioning. They feel very stable and didn't notice a difference in my stride. I would think the cushioning would cause some loss of energy but I didn't really notice any. Over time something might pop up. Dan you have been in them longer any change in race or training times??

I would like to see them in a wider last like an EE.

I will also have to see how they hold up to a 24 hour adventure race, getting wet and muddy and how durable the uppers are. I will report back by the end of the summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [gdunha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did a 45mi bike followed by 10 mi run in new bondi b's. my running buddies were pretty leg weary at the finish whereas i honestly felt i could have run another 10 mi. last race was in brooks t6 racers. no comparison. bondi b feels tighter in the toebox, warmer upper, heavier (almost tripped on a couple of uphills), but my legs felt surprisingly fresh. i would definitely try this on a long run, but hope hoka will widen the toebox, look to brooks racers/zoot for more breathable uppers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bottom line--they work! I'm rocking them at my LC races. I'm old and heavy (54/165) but they are a godsend

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [markesong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree 100% about the toe box. I think these things are targeted toward ultra runners. I found that the more miles I put in the wider my foot got. I could do with a little more room.

Incidentally I did run into one downside. I had a 6 hour urban race where I had to carry my running shoes on the bike. I took my smaller pack since it was a short race and the Hokas barely fit. I was not able to zip the pack all the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not ending yet- check out the Mizuno Wave Prophecy, and make sure you're not drinking anything at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the review. I ordered a pair of One One's and can't wait to get them. Something in Dan's review made me worried about how the Bondi B would hold up. I think Dan said he would be using it as a racing flat. Could you let us know how it stands up to daily training. I think I'd prefer it (rather than the One One) as a daily training shoe (I train mainly on roads, only some on trails), but I don't want to be replacing a $180 shoe every 300 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [winsomeeu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winsomeeu wrote:
Not ending yet- check out the Mizuno Wave Prophecy, and make sure you're not drinking anything at the time.

Ef me... $200?!?

There better be some gold somewhere in those things...

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [JackM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be happy to follow up with how the shoes work out -- unfortunately, I had a bad bike crash in mid April and will be inactive for months. I've just returned home from hospital hence my late reply:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal up soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack

I've had my Bondi B's for a week- I'm not a strong runner - actually far from it - and my biggest issue has always been my knees - rugby for 17 years did it's fair share of damage. Anyhow - I have medial meniscus tears and have actually put off the surgery.

Fast forward to two weeks ago - I had not been able to run any decent distances (3+ miles were agonizing) but since running in the Bondi B's - I have very little to no knee pain.
I find them supportive - "soft (but a good soft) in the heel area - plush might be a good description, without giving up road feel.

All in all - cushioning is making it possible for me to start ramping up the miles again and pain free so far.

I love these things - and yes - they were a little on the high side price wise - but tell me what isn't expensive these days (particularly in this community)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How would you describe the fit?

I have a low-volume foot with a narrow heel. But, I have a wide forefoot with splayed toes. Finding a shoe with a wide toe box and narrow heel pocket is a big problem for me. :(

"I have sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from these lands."
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure how to answer your question about "fit." -- sorry

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the bondi b would be fine as a daily training shoe. while it's my racing flat, it's also my training shoe for all but the longer or more technical trail runs - i use the mafate for those. i've got quite somwhere around 200 miles in a set of bondi b and they're still going very strong. i'll get more life out of these than i do out of my brooks adrenalines.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi B - quick review [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
How would you describe the fit?

I have a low-volume foot with a narrow heel. But, I have a wide forefoot with splayed toes. Finding a shoe with a wide toe box and narrow heel pocket is a big problem for me. :(

I have a very neutral, easy to fit, foot and wear either an 8.5 or a 9 in most shoes. I ordered the Bondi B in 8.5 and it was way small, especially in the forefoot. I got the 9s and they were pretty snug in the forefoot as well. I was worried that they would not work because of this but they really loosened up and feel great now. I don't know how good they would be for someone with a wide forefoot.

I do love the shoes. I have several 20 mile training runs in them and they leave my legs feeling better after a long run. I am trying to decide whether or not to wear them for my upcoming marathon.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next