Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hoka Bondi 6 for Iron distance?
Quote | Reply
Hey there.
Training for my first Ironman.
I have done 70,3 at five hours. 1:42 run so I'm not the fastest guy out there.
I am a HOKA fan and considering shoes for 2020 season. I used Clayton 2 for last season, my 70.3 included. So I'm considering Mach 2, Clifton 6, Rincon...

...and Bondi 6. Mostly because I don't know how 42 k (or 26.2 miles) will beat up my legs. I realize Bondi 6 are heavier than all of the above. But: will the extra cusioning still make them a good choice for me?
I am a medium sized guy, 178 cm 72 kg (or 5"10, 158 lbs)

So, all self-proclaimed experts, hit me. What do you say about racing Ironman in the Bondi 6's???

Re: Hoka Bondi 6 for Iron distance? [triathlonpastor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlonpastor wrote:
Hey there.
Training for my first Ironman.
I have done 70,3 at five hours. 1:42 run so I'm not the fastest guy out there.
I am a HOKA fan and considering shoes for 2020 season. I used Clayton 2 for last season, my 70.3 included. So I'm considering Mach 2, Clifton 6, Rincon...

...and Bondi 6. Mostly because I don't know how 42 k (or 26.2 miles) will beat up my legs. I realize Bondi 6 are heavier than all of the above. But: will the extra cusioning still make them a good choice for me?
I am a medium sized guy, 178 cm 72 kg (or 5"10, 158 lbs)

So, all self-proclaimed experts, hit me. What do you say about racing Ironman in the Bondi 6's???

the rincon is, effectively, the new-and-improved clayton. you'll love the rincon. i don't believe you'll find the bondi a more cushioned shoe. you'll simply find it a more substantial shoe. there's more medial foot control, a much more substantial heel counter, so if you have a really good footfall, a good self-supporting arch, your foot doesn't cave in, your ankle doesn't tip over, and if you don't use a substantial footbed (orthotic) then the rincon may be great. the cushion is similar in both shoes. if you need more than just the rincon, then i'd step up to the carbon x, not all the way to the bondi.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi 6 for Iron distance? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the rincon is, effectively, the new-and-improved clayton. you'll love the rincon.

This is good info. I'd moved to the Mach (and Mach 2) when they discontinued the Clayton. They've been "ok", but I'd like to get back to a Clayton like fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run in both Bondi 6 and Rincon.

In my experience the Bondi 6 is noticeably more cushioned than the Rincon. I notice right away on all surfaces.

But don't get me wrong. The Rincon is veru cushioned too. Just the bondi6 is even more so.

I don't think you can go wrong with either for distance but the Rincon is like 8 oz vs 10.5 for the bondi6. And in the new York times article about Nike 4% the bondi6 places dead.last on some of their charts for speed. So of the Rincon works for you it might be better on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi 6 for Iron distance? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I run in both Bondi 6 and Rincon.

In my experience the Bondi 6 is noticeably more cushioned than the Rincon. I notice right away on all surfaces.

But don't get me wrong. The Rincon is veru cushioned too. Just the bondi6 is even more so.

I don't think you can go wrong with either for distance but the Rincon is like 8 oz vs 10.5 for the bondi6. And in the new York times article about Nike 4% the bondi6 places dead.last on some of their charts for speed. So of the Rincon works for you it might be better on race day.

i don't dispute your characterization. i think over a long enough distance i'd find the bondi more cushy. but i still think the carbon x would be a worthwhile consideration for the OP.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I have been really interested in the Rincon. It seems to be a very nice combo of cushion and "lightness".
I might go for Rincon as my race shoe, and something like the Bondi 6, Clifton 6 or Elevon for my long, easy stuff.

The Carbon X is an expensive piece of equipment...

Quote | Reply
triathlonpastor wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I have been really interested in the Rincon. It seems to be a very nice combo of cushion and "lightness".
I might go for Rincon as my race shoe, and something like the Bondi 6, Clifton 6 or Elevon for my long, easy stuff.

The Carbon X is an expensive piece of equipment...

about the elevon: it's advertised as plush, but it is definitely not. this would be my training shoe if it were. as it is, i'm training in the bondi original reissue (a 9 year old shoe, reissued). they're on my feet, and i'll go out for a run in it as soon as i click the POST REPLY button here. what i've heard is that there's a new elevon in the works, that might be out quite soon. but that's a rumor and i don't know if it's real.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ran IMAZ in Bondi 6's, and PR'ed. Personally, at or level, I don't think shoe weight makes any difference. I've been a Hoka fan since 2012. I've trained and raced in Stinson Tarmacs, Mafates, Bondis, Challengers, ATR's, and Cliftons... and the only difference is the lighter the shoe, the longer it takes to recover from a harder effort, and the more injuries I've had. I was always going back to the Bondis for recovery, and two years ago I decided to quit messing around with my old knees, and just do all my training and racing in the Bondis. I'm now on my 3rd pair of the 6's, and have gotten all my masters tri PR's (sprint/oly/half/full) in them.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi 6 for Iron distance? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered the Rincon.

Should I get a pair of Bondi 6 too? For long days, and perhaps the one full distance Ironman race (Kalmar Sweden) of the season?

Right now I rotate the Challenger ATR 4, the Clayton 2 and the original Challenger ATR (those ones are near death but I can't let go just yet. I love them).
Last edited by: triathlonpastor: Dec 26, 19 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi 6 for Iron distance? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can run 1:42 half marathon, you can really benefit from carbon plates. Why not Carbon X or Next%?
I've used Clifton, Clayton, Arahi and Rincon and Rincon are the best.
They are damn light, well supported and cushioned.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi 6 for Iron distance? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I moved from the Clayton to the Mach, and was OK about it, but not thrilled. I recently bought a pair of Rincon and I'm underwhelmed. To me, they feel very narrow. I have wide feet, so YMMV, but on top of this is the fact that with just 82 miles on them parts of the heal pad have come lose and begun to tear off. I've never seen this from a HOKA before.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train in Bondi 6's and race in Next%. I am older (57) and not a great runner (1:46 half in the Next%). I am also a big (195 lb), heavy heel-striker.

My experience mirrors what The NY Times article laid out. I hate how the Next% look; I hate how they feel; when I first walked in them, I almost sent them back immediately; felt awkward running in them; and I am at least 20 secs per mile faster in them.

I don't even like saying that out loud because I know it sounds ridiculous, but they sure work well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my Hoka Biondis, but damn are they slow ! I use them for recovery runs only. I'm about your ht and wt and but a little faster. I can't tell you if it's the shoe weight or the energy absorbing cushion, but the Hokas add 20-30s/mile. I race in the Nike 4%. The NYT article is spot on. They are the fastest shoes going right now. I won't be surprised if they eventually get banned like the speedo LZR swimsuit.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

about the elevon: it's advertised as plush, but it is definitely not. this would be my training shoe if it were. as it is, i'm training in the bondi original reissue (a 9 year old shoe, reissued). they're on my feet, and i'll go out for a run in it as soon as i click the POST REPLY button here. what i've heard is that there's a new elevon in the works, that might be out quite soon. but that's a rumor and i don't know if it's real.

Elevon 2 is coming out. Believe in the Run has review on it. The way it's been described is as a former Clifton or if the Clifton and Bondi had a baby. I'm slightly interested.

The Bondi B reissue seems really firm to me, doesn't give me nearly the same plush that the 6 did.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi 6 for Iron distance? [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBri00 wrote:
I like my Hoka Biondis, but damn are they slow ! I use them for recovery runs only. I'm about your ht and wt and but a little faster. I can't tell you if it's the shoe weight or the energy absorbing cushion, but the Hokas add 20-30s/mile. I race in the Nike 4%. The NYT article is spot on. They are the fastest shoes going right now. I won't be surprised if they eventually get banned like the speedo LZR swimsuit.

I'm actually the opposite, at 59 years old and aging knees. When I use the lighter less cushioned, less stable shoes, I hurt, and have to hold back, and run gingerly. With the B6's, I can run with more abandon, and run just as fast if not faster. I'm not fast by any means, but have run 20 minute 5Ks and a 1:31 half marathon in the B6's, as a 55-59 age grouper.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting and a 20 min masters 5k is very respectable. Perhaps I run in the B6 on recovery days when I'll be slow no matter what and just blame the shoes when it's really the fatigue.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1:31 half and 20 min 5k as a 55-59....not slow in my book. Not slow in most books I don't think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 178cm 78kg and I use the rincon as one of my daily trainers and the Skechers razor 3 as speedwork/2019 race shoe for IM distance. I would say the Rincon has much more cushion than the razor and i found the razor perfect for the 42.2 and I am 6kg heavier. I think the Bondi 6 is overkill for your size and the rincon or carbon X would be much more suited racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi 6 for Iron distance? [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow thanks you guys! Every time I've tried to venture away from the Bondis (or Stinson Tarmacs of the past) I get hurt, either knee trouble or plantar fasciitis. As mentioned I've tried various Clifton models, Challengers and also several Sketchers models, and always end up back in the Bondis. They may be heavier, but this allows me to train harder, race harder, and recover quicker, with less down time from problems. My days of "racing flats" are long gone. BTW, Hoka really got it right with the B6's... my favorite model since the beginning of Hoka.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathlonpastor wrote:
What do you say about racing Ironman in the Bondi 6's???
The "Estimated change in race time, compared with a previous result, when switching shoes" chart in the NY Times
article shows Bondi 6 as the worst marathon shoe to switch to (gives up time vs. gaining time.) YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i currently rotate 2 pairs of shoes for training. the current mix is the Hoka Rincon for an all around shoe and long runs and the Nike Zoom Fly 3 for tempo runs and speed work. i've raced in the Rincon and it has been a fantastic shoe. I do plan on racing my Olympics and 70.3's in the Next %, but the Rincon is the best shoe i've ran in. i've got 200+ miles in them and just ordered the NB Fuel Cell Propel since I got them for next to nothing and to try something new. But I might pick these back up.

but to my research, the bondi 6 are geared for heavier runners looking for more cushion.
Last edited by: casper3043: Dec 26, 19 21:30
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi 6 for Iron distance? [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really enjoying this conversation :)

As mentioned I already ordered the Rincon but still consider adding the Bondi 6 and just trying them out.

My main concern in this matter is NOT speed since I'm not a fast runner. My main concern (much like Matt Dixon talks about as a reason for going with HOKAs) is holding the distance without getting too beat up and losing form.

Thanks for all the great insight guys. Vaporfly, Carbon X and the likes are simply too expensive for me. My budget is tight and I'm not a podium chaser even in my age group (45-49).
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi 6 for Iron distance? [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone tell me how the arch support in the Rincon compares to the Clifton?I feel like there's just a little too much in the cliftons.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi 6 for Iron distance? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Can anyone tell me how the arch support in the Rincon compares to the Clifton?I feel like there's just a little too much in the cliftons.

I'm sure the other guys here can guide you better, but when I get hold of my Rincons I can compare them to the Challenger ATR 1, the Challenger ATR 4 (high arch support) and the Clifton 3 since I own those.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Bondi 6 for Iron distance? [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
Slowman wrote:
the rincon is, effectively, the new-and-improved clayton. you'll love the rincon.

This is good info. I'd moved to the Mach (and Mach 2) when they discontinued the Clayton. They've been "ok", but I'd like to get back to a Clayton like fit.

I just put on my new Rincons.
I have to say that the feel much more like my Challenger ATR 1 than any other Hoka I have ever tried on (except for the trail lugs). I have the Clayton 2 and the Rincons feel much more like that first generation Clifton/Challenger.
Don't get me wrong. I love my Clayton 2s. But it's not that feel in the Rincon.
If you ask me.

Take care!
Quote Reply

Prev Next