Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hobby or something else?
Quote | Reply
Reading through the hobbies thread I was thinking about replying and kind of got stuck on the word hobby.

When I think of hobby I think of something light, fun, but without substance.

When I think about athletics (insert sport here) it has never in my mind been about hobby, but being an extension of lifestyle, being active, and being part of a culture. (runner's culture, tri culture, etc.)

At the same token I couldn't put down photography as a hobby. I worked for many years shooting rollerblading and other sction sports. To me i take photography too seriously to call it a hobby.

This brings me to my question.

When does something stop being a hobby and become something else? Or if you think that my definition of hobby is BS, why?

If anyone is wondering my hobbies would be, this forum would definately be on the list.
Quote Reply
Re: Hobby or something else? [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A hobby is no longer a hobby when it becomes a predominant focus in your life. When it becomes a lifestyle. Then it is something else- much bigger.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hobby or something else? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should take a shot at answering this to.

hobby: "I like to do triathlons"
"I like to surf"

Not a hobby: "I am a triathlete"
"I am a surfer"

(is that a haiku?)
Quote Reply
Re: Hobby or something else? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys,

You are making me feel bad...
I consider Triathlon as Hobby in my life.... I have a pretty busy job with a lot of travels and some boring customers..... I don't know about you, but I have no time to plan anything else in my life if I dedicate 3 hours everyday to training sessions....
By the way, my vision of a HOBBY is something that you really enjoy !!! And couldn't be the JOB like the pro's.... If you are a pro and still enjoy a lot doing Triathlon than this is the PARADISE !!!!!!!!

Ciau...

Luiz Eng
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lifestyle arguement may have validity but in reality, when you can make a full time living at it then you can stop calling it a hobby.
Quote Reply
Re: Hobby or something else? [Leng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about the tone of the threads...

I think that enjoyment is what makes hobbies worth doing... yeah yeah personal betterment and all that otherstuff but it comes down to the fact do you like doing it.

there is often more honor is doing something for the love and not for the money... why do you think that ball players always repeat the mantra "I play for the love of the game" oh yeah and I happen to get paid 10 million dollars.

The reason I started this thread was in response to a previous thread asking what people's hobbies were. I was planning on replying and got stuck on what to put down. Specifically, I used to work as a sports photographer (rollerblading mostly) I take my photography very seriously and I enjoy it very much, but the title of hobby just didn't fit in my mind. It made me wonder what is a hobby and when is something no longer a hobby...

Triathlons are a hobby of mine. I have no illusions of becoming a pro. I do not have the time to do even the minimum of training at this time. I enjoy triathloning and I am glad you like triathloning too.

sorry if I made you feel bad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhhh the offseason....a time when tri-geeks wax eloquent about their passion for the sport......

Tread lightly for soon the megabricks and LSDs will be upon us...
Quote Reply
Re: Hobby or something else? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree Taku, a hobby is something that you enjoy doing, but its not a major aspect of your life, its a part of your life, but its not your life. Right now, for me, triathlon is my sole passion, therefore i consider it more than a hobby. I define myself by triathlon, i am a triathlete, and a man and an American. It defines who i am, and has molded me into the person (both physically and mentally) that i am.

I would have a hard time saying that going to work for 40 hrs or more a week is a hobby---cause it consumes so much time out of your life.

So maybe then, i define hobby by how much time you spend doing it. If you do 2 sprint tris a yr and train 3 hrs a week---I'd call triathlon a hobby. But its different for everyone.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply