Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hitting running goals without losing tri fitness
Quote | Reply
First time poster here. I've completed a few 70.3's and shorter tris over the past 3 years or so, but I have a running background. As I enter my 30's, I know that the window for running PR's may be closing and I want to meet some of my goals in the next year or two. My question - how have folks on here managed to hit goals in running events while maintaining reasonable fitness for triathlon?

A bit of background - I ran 74 minutes for 13.1 last spring on a moderately hilly course running 60 mpw (7 days running, 2 workouts per week) for basically 2-3 months prior to the race, with a slow buildup to that volume. But I wasn't able to work in any swimming or biking into my schedule and found myself playing catch-up getting into shape for triathlon season. I want to PR this spring, but I want to do so in a balanced way that leaves me poised for success in triathlon starting late-spring. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Hitting running goals without losing tri fitness [etelhtairt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The question is, how much are you willing to compromise your running goals to maintain tri fitness? At your level, with your body apparently able to tolerate that kind of mileage, you will get your best running results by focusing on running. If you want to mix in biking and swimming in the spring, I would focus on intensity (threshold+ workouts) on the bike, and frequency/volume on the run, with a couple of longer runs each week (and whatever swimming you have time for). My half marathon time with that approach is within seconds of what I run with a mini-taper in marathon training. The bike workouts do make it hard to run fast, which probably slows the half marathon time a little, and requires a lot of faith in the process.

Another way to reach your tri and run goals might be to run the 13.1 in late fall when you can drop the biking and swimming more easily.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitting running goals without losing tri fitness [etelhtairt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not at your run level...but, I'm not too shabby for the over 50 crowd. I had good success last year with one longish ride every couple of weeks, and swimming 1-2x per week. Both the swim and bike were just to remember "how"...no fitness/performance/intensity goals. Just get wet, and spin the pedals.

After I finished my run focus and went back to a more balanced approach including typical intensity on the bike...I set a new "old guy" personal-best FTP on the bike after 4 weeks. Swimming pace came back a little slower, but still I was back down near personal-best paces within 8 weeks.

I also have a runner friend who is typically on the M55 AG podium in half and full mary distances who routinely does 1-2x (per week) 20mi bike rides as part of his run program. They aren't hammer rides, just some low-stress aerobic efforts. So, it can definately work.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitting running goals without losing tri fitness [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, this makes me more confident that I can essentially drop swimming and biking for a good chunk of time and then have a seamless transition to triathlon fitness. I guess a big part will be choosing an "A race" early enough in the season that I have time to get the swimming and biking fitness back. 4 weeks to a new FTP after an offseason of running seems quick--good for you! Based on these responses, it sounds like I can go about my typical structured running training and not worry too much about losing all-around fitness as I chase running PR's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seemed to have some success with this. I run closer to 40-45 miles per week, although I swim and bike a lot. With that, you should be able to work in 1-2 swim and bike workouts each week on 40 mile run weeks. Biking can be a good substitute for recovery runs. My runs look like 2 easy runs (~40 mins, one fasted in the morning), one 30 min run off long ride, 1 workout of mile repeats, 2ks, etc, and 15-18 mile long run with fast finish. That comes to 5-5.5 hrs per week, making it easy to find time for a few swims/rides.
Quote Reply