Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform
Quote | Reply
The wife just got a mini van and we are in the market for a hitch rack. The choices are mind boggling.

Do I at all need to worry that if we travel to a race with my nice tri bike and the kids and her clunker mountain bikes that a hanging rack is not a good idea?

I know on the platform ones the bikes won't move around but a hanging one?
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are worried whith the hanging ones - why not going for a platform type? - They are well tested nothing happens even at higher speeds here in Germany :)

Honestly I did not know until now that there is something like a hanging rack - never saw one here.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [Rrrrrr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanging would be something like this - https://www.rei.com/...wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thule gives advisments which racks to use with carbon frames and which not. Their platfom racks usually are fine to handle carbon frames by using a "frame protector" for the upper clamps (bubblewrap does the trick, too).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Platform are easier/ more secure.

Hanging racks handle more bikes better.

How many bikes are you looking to carry?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Max four but not all the time.

The other challenge is I don't know about the slanted top tubes of my kids bikes and how that may work on the hanging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have adapters for the sloped top tubes and other “oddly” shaped bikes.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a hanging rack, much like the Thule one posted above. Funny thing though, I still prefer to put the expensive bike in the 'trunk' of the minivan with the front wheel off. Especially on longer trips where there's a chance for bad weather. The less nice bikes go on the rack. There's typically enough space to add in luggage and a bunch of other gear.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have 2 Kuats in our family, they are great racks. Not cheap but so well made, super stable, and great with all kinds of bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Kuat tray style, it is a 3-up. Super sturdy.

Deal is with nice bikes with it you probably don't want to be strapping down on fancy wheels. Carbon fairing like HED or Flo especially. But I wouldn't even on a full carbon wheel. Meaning, you'll need to carry an extra "clunker" wheel for each really nice bike for strapping the one wheel to the tray. The other wheel is held down with a shepherd's crook on the tire, so that's fine.

Just so you know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky Mounts is the best (platform) rack I've used. I've had several (hanging and platform) over the years and it is the heaviest, most sturdy (the bikes don't flop around) and secure (two locking features). It isn't cheap but it's the last rack I'll buy.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my Rocky Mounts. And they are expandable to 4 bikes. I've had it for just over a year.

The platform racks can more easily accommodate odd shaped bikes like mtbs or tri bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out this rack. You get a garage wall mount kit with every purchase. And some people suggest if yur hauling 4 bikes get the 5 bike rack and leave extra space for that super nice bike.

https://www.velocirax.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I love my Kuat tray style, it is a 3-up. Super sturdy.

Deal is with nice bikes with it you probably don't want to be strapping down on fancy wheels. Carbon fairing like HED or Flo especially. But I wouldn't even on a full carbon wheel. Meaning, you'll need to carry an extra "clunker" wheel for each really nice bike for strapping the one wheel to the tray. The other wheel is held down with a shepherd's crook on the tire, so that's fine.

Just so you know.

That's why I love my 1UP. No hook contacting the fork or brake and no strap around a carbon rim. I also like that I can use it as a 1 bike carrier 90% of the time and then easily add positions when I need them. The sections also fold up and go on a shelf in the garage when not in use instead of taking up floor space.

I've owned KUAT, Yakima and Thule racks and the 1UP is easily my favorite. The only downside is that it isn't easily lockable, I have to string a cable around the bike when needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Thule Apex (hanging) and it's awesome.

If I brought my tri bike along with others, I would remove the wheels. I'm super happy with this rack. I've only ever used 1 platform rack and it was ok, but the Apex can fold up and fit in the truck if I want to leave it in the car while I ride. Get a lock for the pin, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you go 1Up hitch trays, you won't even look at other racks. We always keep one on, which allows for it to be folded up & full use of the rear door, and can easily bolt together up to 4 total.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My parents have a hanging hitch rack and are always wishing they bought a platform rack. My mom isn't strong enough to lift her (heavy) cruiser high enough to get it on the hanging rack plus it requires her to install a rack crossbar from headtube to seat post. I've also watched friends have to "carefully" pack their carbon bikes on hanging racks to make sure they don't bang into each other while they are driving.

If you have the money, buy a platform rack. I have a 1up rack and the best part of it is it's expandable. I just leave it on my car as a single tray and when the wife wants to ride some cruisers on the boardwalk, it quickly expands to two trays with a couple of bolts. The downside is they aren't cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the van have a hitch already? If so, is it 1 1/4" or 2"

Either way, 1UPUSA will take care of you. Last rack you'll ever need and they fold up when not being used so you can still park everywhere.

https://www.1up-usa.com
Last edited by: kppolich: Mar 8, 21 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except if you look at the new company from the people that made 1UP racks - QuikRStuff - check it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Sweet!!! If I ever put a hitch on the car this will be the one. I have to be able to haul six bikes and I drive a Transit van so that's a lot of length with that system. Ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went from hanging to Kuat platform and couldn't be happier about it. Much more stable.

And I use the straps to secure Flo 90 rear down just fine, no issues at all
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
Rocky Mounts is the best (platform) rack I've used. I've had several (hanging and platform) over the years and it is the heaviest, most sturdy (the bikes don't flop around) and secure (two locking features). It isn't cheap but it's the last rack I'll buy.

Very happy with my Rocky Mounts as well. Very sturdy construction and very easy to load/unload and fold up when not in use.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had roof, hanging, and platform racks. All I have left are platform racks ... so much easier.

I have a Yakima Dr Tray with the third bike attachment and just got a 1up for my son. The 1up is outstanding and not that much more than comparable Yakima and Thule racks.

I was on the QuickRStuff list but they seem to have some production issues. I just needed a rack for my son and the 1up shipped the day after I ordered.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
The wife just got a mini van and we are in the market for a hitch rack. The choices are mind boggling.

Do I at all need to worry that if we travel to a race with my nice tri bike and the kids and her clunker mountain bikes that a hanging rack is not a good idea?

I know on the platform ones the bikes won't move around but a hanging one?

I have both: My platform rack doesn't work with my commute bike because of its fenders. My hanging rack doesn't work (well) with my tri bike because of its eccentric top tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch racks -- hanging vs platform [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the 1Up bike rack. These racks are well built and designed, with no plastic parts. No issues with carbon wheels or disc wheels because it holds the bike by the tires.
Quote Reply

Prev Next