Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hitch Rack - Rocky Mounts vs One Up USA (Platform)
Quote | Reply
I am in the market for a hitch rack (platform style) for my brides van. As an active family with three littles ones it is time for us to commit to a bike carrier rather than trying to figure out how to stuff them in around the kids :)

Does anyone have an opinion on Rocky Mounts or One Up?

Here are the two I am looking at:
  • https://www.rockymounts.com/collections/hitch-racks/products/splitrail-ls-platform-hitch-rack
  • https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-heavy-duty-double-bike-rack/

Ease of use is huge being it is for my wife.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Rack - Rocky Mounts vs One Up USA (Platform) [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rather than the 1up, I prefer the design of their co-inventor:
https://www.quikrack.com/
Nowif they ever had any inventory.

I'm a Kuat fan. I have a Sherpa, but the NV can expand up to 4 bikes.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Mar 19, 19 14:30
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Rack - Rocky Mounts vs One Up USA (Platform) [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a single 1UP and absolutely love it. Very easy to put a bike on and take off. With the double, the "tilt" handle may be a little more out of the way and harder to get at; but they do have an optional accessory to help with that. The Rocky mount comes with the handle already in a more convenient spot by the looks of it. The Quik Rack has an easier hitch mating system IMO but I was tired of waiting for stock and ordered the 1UP. No personal experience with the Rocky Mounts.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Rack - Rocky Mounts vs One Up USA (Platform) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick Rack 2 video has a the "old rack" with a 1UP sticker on it.

And not selling or producing but looking to license patent and domain names?

What is the deal with this?
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Rack - Rocky Mounts vs One Up USA (Platform) [Vigilante] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick Rack founder has been promising a "better" rack for a while now and I was on wait list, but never seemed to make it to production. Looked again at website a few weeks ago and I saw the design and patent offerings. Never notified that production was not happening. Bought the 1-up and amazed at quality. Best rack by far - over Yak, Kuat and others.
Last edited by: shannond: Mar 19, 19 18:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be a Thule guy, but decided to try out the rocky mount Hitch rack with the add on extension to carry up to 4 bikes. After a struggle to assemble the add-on and taking single trip with it, I returned it (amazon prime) and now have not only one but two separate 1upusa racks with add on trays (they are so awesome that my wife wanted one of her own).

The design of the “new” version (from the old owner that sold and started a competing company) looks like an improvement but like others have said, they still haven’t delivered on any orders that I am aware of. There used to be a pretty big thread on MTB forums about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Rack - Rocky Mounts vs One Up USA (Platform) [Vigilante] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently licensed to Saris ("Coming late spring 2019" according to the Saris site): https://www.saris.com/product/mtr2

They had a prototype at Crankworx: https://bikerumor.com/...-shrinks-and-swings/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the 1up. I have the double as well and it has been bombproof for the 2 years I've had it. 29" MTB, road, tri bikes, and beach cruisers with no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Rack - Rocky Mounts vs One Up USA (Platform) [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is definitely not the same rack as the Quik Rack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1up hands down.

I was holding out for the quickrack last year, but they were taking so long to go into production and then low inventory. I went with the 1up and couldn't be happier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright! I'm buying the double on 1UP USA and adding two add ons.

What accessories are needed?

Seems like it would be a good idea to buy the add on locks. Is the hitch lock also a good idea?

Do you buy the bike lock on their website or use a cheaper one?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 4 bike 1 UP and love it - it weighs a ton - so the only accessory I bought was the EZ Pull just makes raising and lowering a lot easier. Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have 1up double 2 in w/ 2 add ons to carry 4 bikes. VERY easy to use. My wife uses it the most with kids and finds it to be great. It is heavy in the 4 rack mode. We added the EZ pull handle. We highly recommend 1up.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Rack - Rocky Mounts vs One Up USA (Platform) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Rather than the 1up, I prefer the design of their co-inventor:
https://www.quikrack.com/
Nowif they ever had any inventory.

I'm a Kuat fan. I have a Sherpa, but the NV can expand up to 4 bikes.

Have they shipped any quikracks yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use a coiled cable lock that I loop through my hidden hitch eyelet, the rack, and my frame. I dont leave my rack on all the time though. To remove the rack, you need a specific tool (security allen wrench with a hole in the middle) and since this isn't common, I consider it secure enough when the rack is on the car alone. I have secure parking at home and work though.

One accessory that seems to be new, and interests me is the hitch bar stop. They didn't have that when I ordered mine. If i'm not careful, I can slide the rack all the way in to contact my painted bumper. I've marked my hitch bar with tape for the ideal position but the hitch stop would be nice since I remove and install my rack often. Might need to order one...

I would suggest the EZ Pull to allow you to fold up/down the rack a lot easier. The stock location of the handle would be a pain with multiple add ons IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not buy their locks. When I need to secure it, I just use a u lock through one of the chain loops on the hitch receive and around the main frame on the rack. It's super secure that way. If I want to also secure the bikes I just run a heavy plastic coated cable though bike frames and wheels and attach to the u lock.

As for other accessories, I've ended up getting the fixed hitch attachment so if I need to carry just one bike it's faster and lighter to just hook an add on to that. I also ended up getting the utility carrier. With that I can carry a 60" wide bag with a ton of luggage and supplies plus two bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Rack - Rocky Mounts vs One Up USA (Platform) [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody know of which rack would be nearly as good as the 1up but made a lot lighter? I've got a Yakima with three trays and it ways a ton. I'd like to get something a lot lighter if possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Rack - Rocky Mounts vs One Up USA (Platform) [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a 3 or 4 bike rack that fits a 1.25" hitch?
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Rack - Rocky Mounts vs One Up USA (Platform) [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:

You can get an adapter for most hitches.
I'm not sure it's a great idea though, as you want lots of leeway in the tongue weight capacity.
Bikes don't weight much, but you don't want to lose them if you hit a huge bump.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Rack - Rocky Mounts vs One Up USA (Platform) [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Anybody know of which rack would be nearly as good as the 1up but made a lot lighter? I've got a Yakima with three trays and it ways a ton. I'd like to get something a lot lighter if possible.

My Kuat Sherpa is as light as it gets at 26lbs, but only fits 2 bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Which one? I have the Dr. Tray with 3 trays (2" version) and it's by far the lightest rack I have owned. I take it out when I'm not going to use it for a few weeks at a time because it's really that light and simple. It folds up pretty flat too for easy storage on the wall. My old racks would almost never come off.
Quote Reply
Re: Hitch Rack - Rocky Mounts vs One Up USA (Platform) [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:

Yakima Dr. Tray with the +1 tray will hold 3 bikes and fits a 1.25" receiver.
Quote Reply