Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by mxblues98
Re: Hit by car on bike- tips for moving forward legally [mxblues98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, so sorry for your crash. Heal up fast!

Every time one of these come up it is amazing the comments you will get from the "peanut gallery" - much of the advice will be wrong, inapplicable, or not consistent with your jurisdiction. I recommend finding someone you have confidence in and following their advice.

Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit by car on bike- tips for moving forward legally [mxblues98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Seriously, lawyer up
2. How's the bike?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop talking about it on an open forum and find an attorney to consult. I speak from experience on this one. Don't give any statements, especially to the other person's insurance company. The first response to your post (David) is an excellent, trustworthy source.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit by car on bike- tips for moving forward legally [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alaska848 wrote:
Stop talking about it on an open forum and find an attorney to consult. I speak from experience on this one. Don't give any statements, especially to the other person's insurance company. The first response to your post (David) is an excellent, trustworthy source.
This. Her insurance company will have many aggressive lawyers, don't be a chump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just settled a personal injury case nearly 3 years post accident. Hire an attorney ASAP, don't post any details on how things happened until you speak with an attorney.

They cost a lot, but are worth every penny.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hit about a year ago and was referred to Bike Law, they had me in touch with a local attorney who is experienced is bike involved accidents. I was very pleased with their advise and the outcome of the incident. Good luck.

https://www.bikelaw.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all replies. Seems need to go lawyer route whether want to or not
As for bike- getting it checked ASAP
Thanks all
t

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now delete this post, or at least delete all your comments. Really, do it now.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mxblues98 wrote:
Thanks for all replies. Seems need to go lawyer route whether want to or not

Ya, I went the "no lawyer route". Positive vibes and all. I was hit by a very nice old man. He was really shaken up as well.

I ended up with lifelong injuries and no compensation. By the time I got a lawyer it was too late.

Her insurance company will likely employ the shadiest nastiest snakes that exist. And if you are in an area where cyclists who ride on the road are considered "insane", that doesn't help either.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit by car on bike- tips for moving forward legally [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

I got hit last year. Doesn't matter how "nice" and shook-up the driver was the decision to pay you for your medical expenses and a new bike will be made by a horrible shyster whose job it is to not pay a penny if they can avoid it. It'll all be made into your fault before you know it.

Seriously - lawyer up, get the bike to a bike shop for a full check and price-up, keep receipts for everything, make notes, keep records. Don't write anything on forums.

Good luck, get well soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You stated you want to make sure the bases are all covered, but don’t want have a professional help you. You cannot have it both ways.

I assume you had professionals treat your injuries. You do that because they have knowledge, experience and training that you lack. Same with the legal system.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit by car on bike- tips for moving forward legally [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
the decision to pay you for your medical expenses and a new bike will be made by a horrible shyster whose job it is to not pay a penny if they can avoid it. It'll all be made into your fault before you know it.

In my case nothing was made into "my fault". I eventually found out their case was based on the fact that I raced my TT bike 2 months later, so I must have been fully recovered. After getting hit by a truck traveling ~60mph. Doesn't matter that riding a TT bike was about the only exercise I could do without issue. Bent over and constrained motion; I could do that when I couldn't stand (and often did). 10 years later I'm still getting bad back spasms if I'm not careful (worst pain you can imagine for a second, then a week of pain and recovery trying to keep it from happening again). Lifting heavy stuff is out. Left elbow and hand still goes numb. It's not that hard to work around this stuff and still enjoy life, and I'm happy I'm not seriously disabled or dead... but ya, wish I'd gotten a lawyer on day 1. At the time I was so happy I wasn't dead and had a super positive attitude about recovery. The thought of getting a lawyer seemed like a lack of faith in the universe or something... which is cool so long as you stick with that no matter what happens.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was involved in a non- bike situation, everything was straight forward, the other party freely admitted guilt. Thought it would be a no brainer with the insurance company, and that we could close this easily. Nope, ended up getting an attorney and suing. Took about 10 months and I received what we initially expected, plus the attorney got his third. Still doesn’t make any sense to me about how the insurance company handled it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hit by car on bike- tips for moving forward legally [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
If you had consulted with a lawyer right after your accident, he or she would have advised you not to race until you were 100% recovered.

10 years later that still isn't the case. Seems odd to even expect it. Many injuries result in permanent impairment to some degree.

Yes, I guess I was totally naive regarding how the system works. I figured the truth should be good enough, right? But all that matters is building a case using superficial formulas. People can use that to milk insurance companies also, which is why it's such a mess.
Quote Reply