Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hip strength
Quote | Reply
Can someone give me a good hip strength routine?
Really sick of the internet suggestions riddled with advertising.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Hip strength [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Hip strength [BoKnowsT1D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Looks like some good reading at work tomorrow!
Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my tried and true, you will need nothing else.

1) go to the gym
2) find the square rack or whatever it’s called
3) start with nothing but the bar and do 3x 5 deep squats
4) start with nothing but the bar and do 1x5 deadlifts

Go three times a week
Add 5 pounds each visit until you can’t add, then add when you can. Your hips will be strong, you will not get sore doing this. It’s conservative and it works and is time effective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's a great place to start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsqhcbPVXDQ

also use an elliptical, no hands, feet absolutely flat on platforms, at various resistances. it enforces all of the drive out of the hips, they can't hide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What specifically are you looking for, overall strength or rebuilding strength after an injury? The link I sent you, the squat deadlift progression, (though I started with just bodyweight and then goblet squats with a focus on the proper hip hinge), are all valid suggestions. The hip thrust is also an excellent exercise.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Hip strength [BoKnowsT1D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m having some knee issues while trail running. It feels like it starts at the hip and works its way down. Just wanna work on strength/mobility to see how/if the knee will respond. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s.gentz wrote:
I’m having some knee issues while trail running. It feels like it starts at the hip and works its way down. Just wanna work on strength/mobility to see how/if the knee will respond. Thanks.

So what if your knee issues are the result of a strength imbalance, and your strengthening work makes the imbalance worse?

Go to a quality orthopedic surgeon who is experienced with runners, and who can diagnose your knee issue and prescribe appropriate therapy.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Hip strength [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not bad enough to see a surgeon at this point. Only an issue when trail running with steep ups and downs. I've had issues with this knee in the past and it's always tied back to the hip.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip strength [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mhepp wrote:
I like this one from Runners Connect
https://cdn-strength-training.runnersconnect.net/...%20Hip%20Routine.pdf

Thanks. I've actually used this routine in the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s.gentz wrote:
It's not bad enough to see a surgeon at this point. Only an issue when trail running with steep ups and downs. I've had issues with this knee in the past and it's always tied back to the hip.

"Surgeon" only in those would have the most experience. I'm not advocating surgery, of course. Example: my wife had knee pain, and my orthopedic surgeon (who is an Ironman triathlete) diagnosed a poorly-tracking kneecap due to a weakness in a particular quad muscle. Strength training for that muscle eliminated the pain. Had she strengthened the wrong muscle, it would have made things worse.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Hip strength [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
"Surgeon" only in those would have the most experience. I'm not advocating surgery, of course. Example: my wife had knee pain, and my orthopedic surgeon (who is an Ironman triathlete) diagnosed a poorly-tracking kneecap due to a weakness in a particular quad muscle. Strength training for that muscle eliminated the pain. Had she strengthened the wrong muscle, it would have made things worse.

This.

I had knee problems for about 5-6 years. After 3 knee surgeries I finally went to an orthopedic surgeon who deals with athletes of all levels. In the first 30 seconds of the first appointment he diagnosed me with hyper-flexibility and lack of ability in my hips. No other surgeon had even bothered to look past my knees. 3 months of PT and I've been pain free since. Now we're working on my shoulder.

Strava
Quote Reply