Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hip labral tear x 3 years - surgery?
Quote | Reply
Pain comes and goes. I’m an elite level cyclist who has made zero progress with ftp etc since the tear happened. Seen 3 orthos. One is an expert in the country. Over the years I’ve had periods of time with a lot less pain - just ache but lately (pst 3 months) I’m avoiding weight bearing activities. Walking hurts on the right side after 15 mins. Cycling is still easier.

I’m female. 46. Very active. Workup revealed Supra anterior tear - very little arthritis (mra w-dye) PT improves. I have slacked off PT.

I have surgery scheduled in a few days. I’ve had it scheduled before but canceled it.

I cannot find definitive outcomes on this surgery.

I hate this injury - I have very little FAI - mostly pincer but borderline.

Is it worth it???? (Surgery)
Quote Reply
Re: Hip labral tear x 3 years - surgery? [lilygoldilox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t do it in my opinion. I’m 48 yo cyclist diagnosed with FAI early 2018 after tearing labrum in crash the year before and cancelled surgery 4 days before. Finally figured it out earlier this year with info from upright health/FAIFix.com and my own experiments - the bug breakthrough i had was single leg strength work. I had weak hip muscles...not anymore and i have no issues anymore

This year i was able to ride as much as i wanted getting back to my previous level and raced again. Now running a bit too as i have a new lease of life - close to 50k per week so far and will keep pushing it as i always do lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a cam fai and 3 tears - surgery was the best absolutely the right decision for me. I was caught in a vicious cycle...take time off, inflammation subsided, resume activity, inflammation returned, cam fai caused tearing, take time off, etc etc

Unfortunate reality as I understand is is you’ll know if surgery is the right call long after you have surgery.

I did Norseman 11 months post op. Black shirt finisher.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m 7 years out from surgery. It was absolutely the right decision for me. The only issue I had in recovery was that I kept trying to return to heavy duty training too quickly. You’ll be down for 6-12 months from heavy work, and that means you’ll lose some fitness in the supporting tissues as well. I developed a string of calf strains/tears in both legs afterward because as soon as I could run a mile I would start running 10+. It wasn’t until I reset my head and started building from the ground up that I really came back to high performance.

Mr. Spencer was much more diligent and returned much quicker than I did. I have other friends with the same experience.

The biggest thought I had afterward was, “Why didn’t I do this sooner?” I’m an old Marine, and pretty hardened, but the idea of hip surgery was a bit scary...the same as I hear from most others I know who go through it. But the fear is usually unfounded.

I have only anecdotally heard negative results from one person, a PT that I’m working through frozen shoulder with. She’s ambivalent about her results, and not returning to high performance very quickly at all. But is pain free, on the other hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip labral tear x 3 years - surgery? [JANUS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did FAI fix as well. For two years.

Still had problems. I'm strong though due to all of it.

Had surgery yesterday. Good news in that although i'm going on 47, I had zero arthritis. Labral tear with four anchors and did some bone shaving for the FAI -

Surgery should be last resort, and after many years, I was there.

I do believe FAI fix is very very good and kept me from progressing backwards. I kept the pain pretty consistent until this year when I started having pain with walking or any weight bearing. I knew then it was tme and truthfully was worried it was arthritis. I was relieved to find out I had none.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip labral tear x 3 years - surgery? [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
I had a cam fai and 3 tears - surgery was the best absolutely the right decision for me. I was caught in a vicious cycle...take time off, inflammation subsided, resume activity, inflammation returned, cam fai caused tearing, take time off, etc etc

Unfortunate reality as I understand is is you’ll know if surgery is the right call long after you have surgery.

I did Norseman 11 months post op. Black shirt finisher.

Good luck.

Dude this is amazing! I'm one day post op as of today and really excited to be patient and get through the recovery. Hoping to race some this summer. We shall see. Norseman is amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: Hip labral tear x 3 years - surgery? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy wrote:
I’m 7 years out from surgery. It was absolutely the right decision for me. The only issue I had in recovery was that I kept trying to return to heavy duty training too quickly. You’ll be down for 6-12 months from heavy work, and that means you’ll lose some fitness in the supporting tissues as well. I developed a string of calf strains/tears in both legs afterward because as soon as I could run a mile I would start running 10+. It wasn’t until I reset my head and started building from the ground up that I really came back to high performance.

Mr. Spencer was much more diligent and returned much quicker than I did. I have other friends with the same experience.

The biggest thought I had afterward was, “Why didn’t I do this sooner?” I’m an old Marine, and pretty hardened, but the idea of hip surgery was a bit scary...the same as I hear from most others I know who go through it. But the fear is usually unfounded.

I have only anecdotally heard negative results from one person, a PT that I’m working through frozen shoulder with. She’s ambivalent about her results, and not returning to high performance very quickly at all. But is pain free, on the other hand.

Yeah it'll be tough to not overdo it. My surgeon's protocol seems a little less restrictive than others, told me I could spin (no watts) today *day after surgery* I did it on a spin bike for like 5 mins and it was fine. Going to be diligent about being patient. That's a tough one but gonna give it my best. NEed to work on upper body while I'm limited. haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lilygoldilox wrote:

Yeah it'll be tough to not overdo it. My surgeon's protocol seems a little less restrictive than others, told me I could spin (no watts) today *day after surgery* I did it on a spin bike for like 5 mins and it was fine. Going to be diligent about being patient. That's a tough one but gonna give it my best. NEed to work on upper body while I'm limited. haha

Sounds like you have a good surgeon. My surgeon actually wanted me on a spin bike a few hours after surgery (surgery in morning, on the bike at night). Due to some complications I had (a whole different story) I wasn't able to get on the bike after surgery. The best thing for the hip after surgery is to keep it moving but non weight bearing. The more you can keep it moving, the better recovery. Though, there is definitely a concern of doing too much, too soon.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Hip labral tear x 3 years - surgery? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
lilygoldilox wrote:

Sounds like you have a good surgeon. My surgeon actually wanted me on a spin bike a few hours after surgery (surgery in morning, on the bike at night). Due to some complications I had (a whole different story) I wasn't able to get on the bike after surgery. The best thing for the hip after surgery is to keep it moving but non weight bearing. The more you can keep it moving, the better recovery. Though, there is definitely a concern of doing too much, too soon.

I guess I could get my husband to move my leg tonight - PT couldnt get me in today and have to wait until Monday. I don't even know how to use crutches and using a walker instead. I tried crutches and FELL. I am a little mad about the discharge and lack of info. I had a nerve block and in hindsight they should have told me not to do crutches until it wore off. Hope I did nothing wrong, but I was careful and fell to the good side.
Quote Reply
Re: Hip labral tear x 3 years - surgery? [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, sorry for reviving a months old thread... I'm curious about what kind of PT you did to go back to training? (and for Norseman, no less!). I'm 2.5 months post op from the same lesion, cam FAI and labral tear. Thank you!
Quote Reply