Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [gjohnson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at the end of the day. i think it's about balancing everything. you can have a high stroke rate but if you're form is terrible, you won't be going anywhere. you can have the best form, but if you're stroke rate is slow, you won't be going very fast.

i'd say at least 3 swims a week if not 4. higher swim rate lead to slower bike and run? not necessarily. if you improve your swim, you'll be more efficient overall and have more energy for the rest of your race.
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a video lesson with paul from swimsmooth it was awesome.

we used my tempo trainer and set out 62spm as my set point (for now). Oddly enough the other week i swam without it, dropped a whole 60 strokes off my 1km time, but was a whole 1min faster! I started swimming life as an overglider, then reverted to somewhat as a 'thrasher'....so i am overanalyzing this data of being quicker with a lower stroke count because i dont want to be an overglider again. Im going to swim tomorrow a 1km set and drop the trainer to 60spm and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
gjohnson wrote:
I'm currious to know whether any age groupers with a limited swimming background and limited time to train have sucessfully used a high swimming stroke rate to improve their swim. Something like 80 strokes per minute.

The total immersion folks claim that age groupers with limited time to train shouldn't use a high stroke rate because it takes too much time to effectively develop and will kill your bike and run on race day. They advocate a rate around 55 strokes a minute, or even slower.

However, I also think there's a lot to be said for needing a high stroke rate to swim fast. I find that with the lower stroke rate I'm over-rotating to propel myself through the water, which gets me out of alignment and lead to slower swimming.

Is it possible to swim fast using a high stroke rate with only 2-3 swims per week? And will the higher swim rate lead to a slower bike and run on race day? Any age grouper will no swimming background and limited time sucessfully pull this off?

That would be me, assuming reasonable values of "swim fast" and "successfully." But I may be a serious outlier, so YMMV.

http://s194.beta.photobucket.com/....html?sort=3&o=0 shows me doing a 100yd sprint from a wall start in about :57, using 19-21 strokes per length. I think my stroke rate approached 100spm at points. It may look like crappy swimming, but I have been beaten out of the water in my AG in a race about twice in the past decade (and both were in the only half IMs I did). I feel fine out of the water, and can hammer the bike/run immediately.

I started swimming at age 26 (wow, more than a quarter century ago!), and had a ridiculously high turnover from the very beginning. While I started out with masters swimming, I only once was over 20,000yds in a given week those first years. I only swim about three times per week these days, (Sunday was 3200scy, yesterday was 2300scy), but every set I do is done as hard as I can do it.

I see a number of types of swimmers in my morning group:

- Ex-swimmers: lower turnover, lots of kicking, excellent streamlining, long glide off the wall, fast
- Ex-Channel swimmer: high turnover, lots of kicking (but she's short), fast
- triathletes: low turnover, too much glide, crappy leg position, slow
- me: no glide, no kick, high turnover, "fast"

I typically hold 20-22 strokes per 25yd length, and hold 1:15s or better for intervals up to 500 (did 11:59 for 1000 this year, though). That's about 80spm.

To improve your turnover without losing speed, you really have to focus on correct and efficient catch and pull: no slipping the hand/arm through the water. I probably give up some of the finish, but that isn't the most important part of the stroke.

Ken - I've read your swimming posts with interest over the past 9 months or so, and this last one really piqued my interest. If you can swim a 57 for 100 scy off the wall in practice, I would think you could go a lot faster than 11:59 for a 1000, i.e., more like 10:20 or so. Most distance swimmers I know can hold their fastest practice 100 speed + about 5 sec or so, which for you would be about 1:02. Do you think you're more of a sprinter??? Or perhaps if you gave up the bike and run and just swam 6 days/wk for a winter, think you could get down to 10:20-ish???

In any event, I am NOT being critical at all here, but rather as a long-time swimmer I am genuinely curious. Cheers, Eric.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most distance swimmers I know can hold their fastest practice 100 speed + about 5 sec or so, which for you would be about 1:02.//

I think you are off in your assessment of what an all out 100 vs a 1000 pace are. Keep in mind we are talking about masters athletes that swim around 10k a week or so, not college swimmers doing 100+k per week and 19 years old. Lets take one of the best sprinters in the world and also a world class distance swimmer. Phelps can probably swim about a 41 or so for 100 yards. By your calculation he should be able to hold 46's for a 1000. That would be a 7;40+. Now if you are a swimmer you know how ridiculous this swim is. So if the fastest guy in the world is not even close and a top 55 top swimmer is not even close, who is it that you know holds a 5 second gap?

Not saying there is not someone, but it is going to be very rare. Even Jordan who i consider a non swimmer who has built up tremendous endurance with absolutely no speed will not fit. I think he went about a 58 100 and then did a 10;59 1000. That is about the closest guy i can think of and he is about an 8 second spread. And he did both those time in the same swim meet..
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Most distance swimmers I know can hold their fastest practice 100 speed + about 5 sec or so, which for you would be about 1:02.//

I think you are off in your assessment of what an all out 100 vs a 1000 pace are. Keep in mind we are talking about masters athletes that swim around 10k a week or so, not college swimmers doing 100+k per week and 19 years old. Lets take one of the best sprinters in the world and also a world class distance swimmer. Phelps can probably swim about a 41 or so for 100 yards. By your calculation he should be able to hold 46's for a 1000. That would be a 7;40+. Now if you are a swimmer you know how ridiculous this swim is. So if the fastest guy in the world is not even close and a top 55 top swimmer is not even close, who is it that you know holds a 5 second gap?

Not saying there is not someone, but it is going to be very rare. Even Jordan who i consider a non swimmer who has built up tremendous endurance with absolutely no speed will not fit. I think he went about a 58 100 and then did a 10;59 1000. That is about the closest guy i can think of and he is about an 8 second spread. And he did both those time in the same swim meet..

Monty - You missed the "fastest practice 100 speed" part. Ken said he did the 57 from a wall start in practice, which I took as starting in the water, so probably he could go 53-ish if rested and off the blocks in a meet, which would translate to about a 9-sec gap between the all-out 100 and 1000 if he went 10:20 on his 1000. Eric Vendt's record for the 1000 is 8:36 or 51.6/100. I have no idea what he can do for an all-out 100 free but 42.6 doesn't seem unreasonable for a distance guy like him. James Bonney told me his best 100 free was 46.0 vs his best 1000 at about 9:10. So, a 9 sec diff comparing absolute best 100 free times but about 5 sec diff using best 100 practice times.

As for myself, my lifetime best 100 free in a meet is a 1:03, my best 100 free ever in practice is a 1:07, and my lifetime best 1000 is a 12:00, or 1:12/100, both of which were swum in my late 20s. Ken's post got my attention since we're about equal in the 1000 but he's way faster in the 100. For the record, I'm 57 and swim about 30,000 yds/wk. I've been swimming year-round since age 13 but I've just never been all that fast.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the record, I'm 57 and swim about 30,000 yds/wk.//

Hey, where were you when we did out 1000tt for swim smooth? Now we have our last guy for a 4 man relay, You, half speed and i all 57, and the youngster ken will be in our AG in a couple weeks. And i missed the part where you said workout 100, and i know ken would agree with me that he would not swim any 53. At our age we often swim out best time in workouts, and he maybe gets another second+ for the dive, but that would probably be it. That 1000 he did was a great swim, it was 2nd only to halfspeed's 11;30+. Ya, i still think even the workout 100tt is not a 5 second predictor of a 1000 time. I think a get out workout swim would just be a second or two slower than a race 100, so in the 7 and on up to 15 seconds would be the range.

Thinking back to my last masters meet where i swam both, i was about 59 and 12;18 for the two swims. in workouts the best i can do is about a 1;01 and in that workout 1000 i did a 12;36, so a pretty big gap for me. If you want to spank someone, it should be me!! (-; I seem to be able to do ok on OW race days, so go figure..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I seem to be able to do ok on OW race days, so go figure..
That's because you're a toe sucker! Ok, ok, you swim straighter than most of us in OW.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious, what should a normal, "front pack" triathlete be able to do for the 1000? I would have thought Jordan was slower than 11:00. That article by Jesse Thomas a while ago suggested he had a hard time breaking 12 and he seems to have no problem staying with the lead pack most of the time.
Last edited by: HXB: Dec 12, 12 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
For the record, I'm 57 and swim about 30,000 yds/wk.//

Hey, where were you when we did out 1000tt for swim smooth? Now we have our last guy for a 4 man relay, You, half speed and i all 57, and the youngster ken will be in our AG in a couple weeks. And i missed the part where you said workout 100, and i know ken would agree with me that he would not swim any 53. At our age we often swim out best time in workouts, and he maybe gets another second+ for the dive, but that would probably be it. That 1000 he did was a great swim, it was 2nd only to halfspeed's 11;30+. Ya, i still think even the workout 100tt is not a 5 second predictor of a 1000 time. I think a get out workout swim would just be a second or two slower than a race 100, so in the 7 and on up to 15 seconds would be the range.

Thinking back to my last masters meet where i swam both, i was about 59 and 12;18 for the two swims. in workouts the best i can do is about a 1;01 and in that workout 1000 i did a 12;36, so a pretty big gap for me. If you want to spank someone, it should be me!! (-; I seem to be able to do ok on OW race days, so go figure..

Didn't hear about the Swim Smooth TT. The best I could do now for a 1000 would be about 12:50, maybe 12:45 on my very best day, so I'd be your slowest link. What's the deal with the 4 x 1000 relay??? Haven't heard of that one:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Monty - You missed the "fastest practice 100 speed" part. Ken said he did the 57 from a wall start in practice, which I took as starting in the water, so probably he could go 53-ish if rested and off the blocks in a meet, which would translate to about a 9-sec gap between the all-out 100 and 1000 if he went 10:20 on his 1000. Eric Vendt's record for the 1000 is 8:36 or 51.6/100. I have no idea what he can do for an all-out 100 free but 42.6 doesn't seem unreasonable for a distance guy like him. James Bonney told me his best 100 free was 46.0 vs his best 1000 at about 9:10. So, a 9 sec diff comparing absolute best 100 free times but about 5 sec diff using best 100 practice times.

I like stuff like this, even though, truthfully it has no merit ; ) I just like hearing what guys do in practice.

So about Vendt: Indisputable fastest practice swimmer of all time. Set of 400 IMs on 4:15, went under 3:50 on all of them 3:43 on the last one. The time he swam CW with Phelps was interesting. Other than kick sets his send offs were considerably faster than Phelps. You probably already know this, but Phelps and Garret Weber Gale are the kings of the kick board. I know Phelps did 50 x 100's on 1:15 (maybe, I don't know interval actually) and went under 1:00 on all of them. WTF. And he doesn't look like he is trying on a board. It's just, I don't know, weird to see. It looks like he is getting pulled by a stretch cord.

Now to the question at hand:

Several months ago I started a thread about how most of the US National team does a majority of their training in SCY - not LCM. Ehh, I don't want to start that debate again but for what it is worth: If you want to swim with a SR in the 80's you need to train with your SR in the 80's. And doing long slow swims in a long course pool - or worse OW - will not allow you to develop the strength and endurance to do that. If you are swimming a 1000 straight and by the end of the 1000 your SR has deteriorated 10%, then you wasted 10 minutes (well probably more like 15) of training time. You should have done 10 x 100's and keep your SR rate high for all 40 lengths.

Grande Pelota: the conclusions drawn in the blog you reference are dubious. Obviously the writer was correct about the most powerful part of the stroke - basically when the hand is from lower chest to hip - but they ignore the competing force: drag. Studies have been done to show that a swimmer is traveling fastest when the hand is out front, and they are going their slowest when their hand is in the power positions. This is simply due to the drag that is created when your hand is in exit phase of your stroke. You wrote that swimmers need to "let go" and get their hands to the power position sooner and more often. I am not sure what you are advocating, but if you are saying "short up front, long out the back," well solid research has concluded that is faulty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finding Freestyle Dark Star Postal Meet

This should happen again.

Like now.
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I like stuff like this, even though, truthfully it has no merit ; ) I just like hearing what guys do in practice.

So about Vendt: Indisputable fastest practice swimmer of all time. Set of 400 IMs on 4:15, went under 3:50 on all of them 3:43 on the last one. The time he swam CW with Phelps was interesting. Other than kick sets his send offs were considerably faster than Phelps. You probably already know this, but Phelps and Garret Weber Gale are the kings of the kick board. I know Phelps did 50 x 100's on 1:15 (maybe, I don't know interval actually) and went under 1:00 on all of them. WTF. And he doesn't look like he is trying on a board. It's just, I don't know, weird to see. It looks like he is getting pulled by a stretch cord.

Several months ago I started a thread about how most of the US National team does a majority of their training in SCY - not LCM. Ehh, I don't want to start that debate again but for what it is worth: If you want to swim with a SR in the 80's you need to train with your SR in the 80's. And doing long slow swims in a long course pool - or worse OW - will not allow you to develop the strength and endurance to do that. If you are swimming a 1000 straight and by the end of the 1000 your SR has deteriorated 10%, then you wasted 10 minutes (well probably more like 15) of training time. You should have done 10 x 100's and keep your SR rate high for all 40 lengths.

Grande Pelota: the conclusions drawn in the blog you reference are dubious. Obviously the writer was correct about the most powerful part of the stroke - basically when the hand is from lower chest to hip - but they ignore the competing force: drag. Studies have been done to show that a swimmer is traveling fastest when the hand is out front, and they are going their slowest when their hand is in the power positions. This is simply due to the drag that is created when your hand is in exit phase of your stroke. You wrote that swimmers need to "let go" and get their hands to the power position sooner and more often. I am not sure what you are advocating, but if you are saying "short up front, long out the back," well solid research has concluded that is faulty.

AJ - i too love hearing what kind of times guys do in practice. I didn't know with certainty about MP being a super kicker but I had kind of guessed it watching video of his underwaters doing dolphin kick, as his ankles are just unbelievably flexible. If I had ankles like that, I'd be a 200 flyer myself:)

Regarding kick sets, and you may remember this from a thread 7-8 months ago, I've heard that Mel Stewart could do 20 x 100 dolphin kick with a board on the 1:10, coming in at under 1:00 for the whole 20. The guy who told me that was an assistant coach at U. of Tenn back when Stewart swam there from 1988-92. If this is true, that would imply kicking 2000 in around 20:30 if he just went straight!!!

And regarding Vendt's 400 IM set, that is just unbelievable doing them all under 3:50.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

I'm going to say that it it is probably in the middle, but solid research was probably done in a pool. I think that what is missed for open water, and for 'most' age group athletes who are racing 70.3 and 140.6 distance races is that a lot of times they can't get long out front because they are swimming with 2000 of their closest friends. Instead of being long out front they are left with short up front by virtue of necessity or it is situational. So, what does that leave you? It leaves you the middle and back part of the stroke. Or, the catch is so in effective because there are so many bubbles, etc. Again, that leaves the middle and back part of the stroke for a lot of swimmers to get their propulsion. It means that their 'catch' or 'anchor point' or whatever is likely further behind or deeper in open water than it might be in a pool. This, to me, is where band swimming can play a big part in training triathletes. Less about body position, more about moving forward in the water.

If you are an off the front swimmer, then some of the above might not be completely applicable.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Last edited by: -BrandonMarshTX: Dec 12, 12 11:29
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [HXB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HXB wrote:
I'm curious, what should a normal, "front pack" triathlete be able to do for the 1000? I would have thought Jordan was slower than 11:00. That article by Jesse Thomas a while ago suggested he had a hard time breaking 12 and he seems to have no problem staying with the lead pack most of the time.

Because that word does not have specific meaning, there is no answer to your question.

But you are comparing how Jesse practices vs how Jordan swam in a meet. Also Jesse improved a ton in the water over the last 18 months. My guess he can now do a set of 1000s on 12:00 and get plenty of rest.
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [HXB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious, what should a normal, "front pack" triathlete be able to do for the 1000?//

I assume you meant front pack pro, and it will be a range. I would say from 10 minutes to 11 minutes, maybe a bit more. Now doing these times do not guarantee your spot in the lead group, just a shot at it. A better predictor would be this time accompanied with a 200 time. That is where jordan falls off the scale, he swims fast enough in the 1000, but is way behind in the 200. And Jesse is not a front pack swimmer, he is 2nd pack and like AJ said, he is much faster now than when he wrote what you quoted. He and jordan are probably right about the same for the 1000, but i bet jordan gets him in the hour swim by a bunch, but may not have him in the 200. Not sure what jesse does for a flat out 200, but jordan's was about a little over 2 minutes, like 2;03+. Front pack guys really need 1;55 or so speed to be able to keep up with the fast early pace in big races..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope people keep perpetuating the dumb idea if high stroke rate because it will substantially increase any advantage that real swimmers have, and it will make for cool splash photos at mass swim starts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure I've posts this before, but here's Club Wolverine doing a kick king of the pool. Wu Peng is representing China as a butterflyer at this week's short course world championships.

http://www.youtube.com/...rjyTpVw&index=25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what my stroke rate or DPS is.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, no dis to Jordan, I think his swim times stand out more because he is winning big races, hes still a solid triathlete swimmer, at least in my opinion. So if he wasn't getting dropped in the first few minutes, he would be able to hang I guess. I need to start keeping track of my 1000 and 200 abilities, I can break 12 for sure but I've never truly raced one.
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [Sam Apoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam Apoc wrote:
I hope people keep perpetuating the dumb idea if high stroke rate because it will substantially increase any advantage that real swimmers have, and it will make for cool splash photos at mass swim starts!

I agree! Many seem to think the higher the stroke rate and the higher the heart rate the better. Those simply indicate the higher the stress on the body and the quicker the injury or burnout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For triathletes, or those swimming in large packs in open water, higher rates are more effective, generally.

There's just too much unstable water for the long polished pool strokes, and too much contact. Basically the longer polished pool stroke athlete generally has a consistent strong kick. A strong kick is not a triathletes friend as it simply costs (heart rate) too much, and triathletes are usually not good kickers.

As mentioned in prior threads, one does need conditioning for higher rates, so just train for it.

Regarding Jesse Thomas and more recently, Sean Jeffereson, their improvements have come from very specific workouts, a dynamic swim training environment and LOTS of specificity. Jefferson was about 3:30 down on Hunter Kemper last year in the swim; at the recent LA Triathlon he was :30 down. All due to proper preparation plus some good dna; he's a 3:56 mile runner :) Jesse had his best swim in Maine at Rev 3 after a 3-week intensive injection of open water training and specific pool sets.

From my experience, swimming/training at 55 strokes per minute as advised or prescribed by some will not lead to FAST open water swimming.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Gerry Rodrigues
http://www.tower26.com
twitter: @tower_26
FB: Tower 26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

You use a lot of words for a guy who is pretty clueless. I didn't write that blog, and it is obvious you are not clear what I am advocating. It sure as hell ain't, "short up front and long out back". As to that blog, I found it insightful while not really drawing a whole lot of conclusions.

As far as drag, sometimes it is useful to isolate a thing to measure a thing. While I did not write that blog, I can assure you the author is well aware of the competing force of drag. It really is ok to leave it out of the discussion from time to time. Unless you mean to say that because the most powerful part of the stroke has higher drag, that a swimmer should seek to minimize that drag at the expense of the power.
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [Gerry Rodrigues] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BOOM! lock up the thread and let's move on. =P
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A drowning person has the same thing in common as this. Lots of strokes but they "ain't going anywhere" but down. You definitely need DPS. The only way you're going to improve that is with good body position or you're still going nowhere if you're vertical.
Quote Reply
Re: High Stroke Rate Swimming for Age Groupers [hotman637] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hotman637 wrote:
Sam Apoc wrote:

I agree! Many seem to think the higher the stroke rate and the higher the heart rate the better. Those simply indicate the higher the stress on the body and the quicker the injury or burnout.

My thoughts exactly. In addition, I'd like to add that I love it when people get on here and profess about both Total Immersion and Michael Phelps in the same post! Solid gold.
Quote Reply

Prev Next