Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
High Hamstring (or Biceps Femoris) Tendinopathy: Who's had it?
Quote | Reply
i have some questions i'd like to ask you. testing some theories.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: High Hamstring (or Biceps Femoris) Tendinopathy: Who's had it? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had it, summer/fall 2019
Quote Reply
Re: High Hamstring (or Biceps Femoris) Tendinopathy: Who's had it? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had it, made life miserable for at least 6mo.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep-on/off issues with it for the past several years. Well-versed in that one, by this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Either side at different times. I may be an outlier, though, as it seemed to stem from a spine fusion a few years earlier...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be happy to answer any questions. I battled bilateral HHT for years, saw 5 orthos and got 5 different opinions. I had full reattachment surgery in 2017....the best thing I ever did. Unfortunately, I know this injury oh too well! I did everything you could imagine prior to surgery- prp, graston, lasers, needling, acupuncture, tenex, physical therapy etc....The joys of iron distance training and racing. Worth it though!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had it. Started about a year ago. 99% healed as of this week.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

there's a pretty huge thread on this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. Had it. Did IMNZ on it 2016, thought it was just a niggly calf pull.

Reattachment surgery 2017 by the always excellent Dr Matt Brick. Several halfs since then and IMNZ this year.

Happy to answer any questions based on my own experience!
Quote Reply
Re: High Hamstring (or Biceps Femoris) Tendinopathy: Who's had it? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Slowman wrote:

there's a pretty huge thread on this

yes. we have it archived in hot forum topics.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, took me out of racing throughout all of 2011 and most of 2012.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, took about 2 years to get rid of.
Quote Reply
Re: High Hamstring (or Biceps Femoris) Tendinopathy: Who's had it? [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quintana who wrote:
Yup. Had it. Did IMNZ on it 2016, thought it was just a niggly calf pull.

Reattachment surgery 2017 by the always excellent Dr Matt Brick. Several halfs since then and IMNZ this year.

Happy to answer any questions based on my own experience!

let's back up. my assumption here is that we're talking about the origin of the biceps femoris, in the region of the ischeal tuberosity, i.e., the sit bones. where the ass and the leg meet. is this what you all have in mind when you answer this question? or are you thinking of something else?

i ask because i don't see how the calf would be involved in this. and, yes, matt brick is excellent. i think about him often. i have often thought of stalking him down for an interview.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had it/have it since 2015, never fully heals, but I can bike/run as much as I want with a proper adaptation period during a build. Its really mild most of the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Summer's been dealing with it for the past year or so. Seen a number of chirps and PTs and is finally getting it under control.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wont speak for Quintana who but for me- yes at sit bone and yes- pain can come down your leg, calf and foot If you train on this injury long enough. You can develop scar tissue on sciatic nerve right at site where sit bone and 3 tendons attach if you are lucky like I was! :( . My pain began to travel down my leg and foot. During my 4 hour surgery to reattach tendons- 2 hours was cleaning up all the scar tissue. I feel like a miracle after years of suffering. I read all the threads and learned on ST when first diagnosed years ago as it was hard anywhere else to find info on.
Last edited by: KSP: May 4, 21 3:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hullo Mr Dan,

As another respondent suggested, it was inferred pain from the (sciatic?) nerve that sits next to the tendon at the leg slash bum interface. Matt B noted after surgery that the tendon was 60% detached, and that the scar tissue (which he also cleaned up) from the injury and the surgery resulted in what felt like a calf pull. For this reason it was a frustratingly long time to diagnose, as we were looking at the wrong part of my leg. MRI of the correct area identified it though.

He also said that it would be six months before I was pain free (running) after surgery - he was correct pretty much to the day!

Think I have his email address somewhere if you want to PM me (or however that works here on ST). I noticed that he's started racing again and is pretty speedy still.
Quote Reply
Re: High Hamstring (or Biceps Femoris) Tendinopathy: Who's had it? [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had this forever... probably 4-6 years. I continued trying to run through it and that was a big mistake. Then, it began bothering me on the bike, sitting, etc. I saw at least 10+ providers such as chiro, PT, sports doctors, etc. Had everything under the sun done to treat it...stretching, dry needling, etc. The only thing that worked was to address back issues and the PT I saw recommended McKenzie Method (used to treat sciatica, etc.) and I took 12 weeks off from running and 4 weeks off from the bike. I also strengthen the hamstring as well. Be careful stretching it since that seemed to irritate it more. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the injury twice, about 3 years ago on the left leg, and in January this year on the right, There are several excellent YouTube videos on therapy. It took from late January to mid March to resolve my most recent injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

This is my the topic for my PhD which I'm currently undertaking.

We are currently recruiting for a trial for people with Proximal Hamstring Tendinopathy (PHT) in Melbourne, Australia. https://twitter.com/.../1389182504343523330
(I'm also testing some theories!)
Quote Reply
Re: High Hamstring (or Biceps Femoris) Tendinopathy: Who's had it? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Had it. Started about a year ago. 99% healed as of this week.

Would you be willing to share how you healed it?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been dealing with this since August 2019, ask away

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, ongoing, currently in remission. Literal pain in the ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/url]I got this in October 2013 (still clearly remember finishing the race and thinking - what is that pain in my ass?) and battled with it until sometime around May 2019 when I finally gave up. In that time, I saw several physios and got several misdiagnoses. I spent 9 miserable months basically sat on the couch or at work. I did nothing but eat, work, sleep and be thoroughly miserable for that entire 9 months. My wife made a baby in 9 months, I could not even repair a fricking sheath around my hamstring. Once it finally healed and I could feel no pain at all I slowly got back to it and became a changed person. I took things really steady, had nothing in particular to train for through Covid and have managed to make a full recovery. What a long and frustrating journey it’s been. After years and years of pain I can finally train and recover pain free. In all that time I only found 1 physio who gave me the correct diagnosis along with any helpful and meaningful advice. Needless to say, I am so looking forward to the end of Covid and the start of my active pain free life style again. For anyone who lives an active lifestyle like me and my wife, it’s hard to articulate what an infuriating injury this is. Look after your hamstrings and sit bones peeps.

Just for info, my rehab had many elements - but anecdotally some of the ones that I think really helped. Hot shower on my ass every morning to promote blood flow around the area. Hot wheat bags out the microwave and onto my ass for the same reason. Bought a kneeling chair and a saddle chair for work instead of the usual office chair. The relief around my sit bone was almost instantaneous. Now use a standing desk around 50% of my working day and take mobility exercise seriously instead of just giving it lip service. I still use the kneeling chair every now and again as well - although it can make my knees sore.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman: Had it.

Tigerchik: Dedicated eccentric exercises seem to have been my solution. I use TRX style strap and do a medley of bodyweight curls. Exercise ball would work too. Also runners arabesque.

Many other factors seem to be involved for me. Premature speed work seems to contribute, stretching too. I can't tell if cycing helps or not. Skiing helps, wrecking doesn't.
Quote Reply

Prev Next