Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High Altitude Race - What to Expect?
Quote | Reply
I live and train in Phoenix, at about 1200 ft, and enter sprints, splash and dashes, xterras, etc. Looking to push it up to olympic distance. We are going to be in Flagstaff (7000 ft) a few weekends from now and there is an oly/half going on right down the road which has caught my interest because I never get to race in 60-75 degree temperatures.

However, I'm not sure what to expect with the altitude. The swim will probably be in a wetsuit (lake temp around 70) and the distance isn't an issue. I've done 2000m+ OW swims in recent weeks. Not worried about the cycling either, if I get gassed I can just back off a gear. For reference, I ride sprints at around 20mph on a mid level TT bike.

I'm not a great runner, am slightly asthmatic, and am short and heavy for this sport. I'm a recovering former competitive lifter so I carry a lot of excess bulk. 5'7" 195-200. Back in April I had my best competitive run in a local fun run, 4.2 miles at an 8:10 pace. If I ran a fresh flat 10K tomorrow, I'd probably come in around 55 min. What I don't want is to swim and bike reasonably well and then collapse to a 1:30 "run" split.

Any advice or tips for dealing with the thin air other than to get up there three weeks early to acclimate? They do offer an aquabike option.
Quote Reply
Re: High Altitude Race - What to Expect? [Pigeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have read a lot about altitude training and heat training. Both get your heart rate up and both make it harder to get your heart rate down.

For me personally the altitude in Flagstaff has never really had a huge effect on me. Maybe 1-5 bpm heart rate higher.

I live in Phoenix and am doing the 70.3 race on the 19th and there is not one ounce of me that is worried about the altitude.
Quote Reply
Re: High Altitude Race - What to Expect? [EastonZ16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. I think my approach will just be to go out slow at something like a 9:30 for the first mile and see how my body is handling. I'll probably take a couple quarter mile brisk recovery walks along the way (but I'd probably do that at sea level anyway).

Any issues with altitude headaches, excess fluid loss, etc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve raced mountain man at least 10x. 1 word...PAIN. The swim will make u feel like u are having a panic attack. You won’t catch ur breath until the finish. The bike has a good hill going out. The run starts flat til 1.5mi then 1.5mi up a hill (2 switchbacks) then a forest road at the top. If you do the 1/2 you get to then run out lake Mary rd while everyone from the oly leaves and cheers you on (and laugh at u for doing the 1/2)

It’s a great race! Do it. Practice the swim if u can

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pigeon:

Take it easy at the start of the swim. You should think hard to go slow at the start of the swim. Let everyone else do their normal sprint start, then settle into their pace. They'll be sucking air early on nearing a panic attack. Don't be one of those guys. Keep a steady race pace in the swim and you will be fine. On the bike and on the run you will breath a little harder, mostly on the up hills or when pushing speed but your body and mind will naturally adjust. When swimming it's different. If you go into early oxygen debt you cannot keep your normal swim stroke, hence the heavier breathing to the point of hyper-ventilating. If you do go out a bit quick on the swim, either go to breast stroke or backstroke to keep you head up to get enough O2 to recover. I lived in Phoenix and did Mountainman twice. Learned how to properly breath the hard way the first year. Much better prepared the next year. Great race. Beautiful setting. Lake Mary was smooth, clear, and clean. Roads well kept and minimal traffic. Run partially in the forest. Only bad thing was smoke from the campers' fires. The setting is wonderful. The bike course is rolling. There is a tough hill climb on the run going out but it's a screaming downhill coming back to the finish line. Go up early to enjoy the summer cool to escape's the Valley's triple digit temps and the geography of the high country. No need to go to get used to the altitude though. Good luck. Go easy.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/feed
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/tri-50-states

Quote Reply
Re: High Altitude Race - What to Expect? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think if you are going to have trouble you will notice it before you even start the race
I live at 50 feet above sea level.

When I go to even 5000’ above sea level I have a hard time breathing just waking up a small hill

If I were you I would be concerned being a heavier triathlete and slightly asthmatic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can tell you as a fellow asthmatic I live in MN and have an altitude less than your area (maybe 300-500ft or less...haven't looked it up exactly). One time I was on a business trip in Park City and ventured into Salt Lake City to workout at the gym. Trying to run on the treadmill there was really hard....didn't help that at that time I didn't have my asthma in the best control either.

Just my experience but if you aren't acclimated it is much harder than you think. A few years prior to that Utah trip I actually lived in Denver for awhile and after I acclimated it wasn't such a big deal but the first couple of weeks doing anything strenuous was harder than I expected. Oh and I didn't believe it the first time I had a few drinks during happy hour when I first moved to Denver but the alcohol "tolerance" change at altitude vs closer to sea level is real.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Aug 3, 18 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: High Altitude Race - What to Expect? [djmsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good tips. I usually start slow on the swim and off to the side, just to avoid getting swam over by all the heros that are gasping for air 200m in. If I just approach it as a throwaway race with no personal time goal then I should be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Phoenix to Flag quite a difference... agree best strategy is to go carefully and watch heart rate, definitely don't go by pace, altitude will surprise you. Then there's that hill on the run just when you don't want it.I assume you are talking about Mtn Man.

My first experience with that altitude was Mormon Lake half marathon many years ago, seemed fine until the turnaround and then it hit me. Was smarter in following years. Sadly I think that race is gone, used to be a nice August break from the heat. Sprint, Oly, Half Iron distance Mtn MAn all the same - enjoy the cool water, cooler temps and the scenery and don't look at your watch or powermeter!

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've lived in Flagstaff for 10 years and I'm STILL not acclimated to the altitude. haha. But it's really only the swim where it's a factor i.e., where you feel like your heart is going to explode when you go hard. Agree with everyone here - go easy at the swim start then see how you feel for the bike and run. If it's an oly you can redline for a couple hours, right?
Quote Reply
Re: High Altitude Race - What to Expect? [Hatsack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again. It is the Mountain Man Olympic. Anyone who's done this race have any input on the typical water temp? Unless they have wetsuit strippers, I'll give back every minute it shaves off my swim trying to get the damn thing off in T1. It'd be easiest to go without if its not numbingly cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was just in yesterday and it’s perfect - about 70-71.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be better off without. It won’t constrict as much. I always feel better swimming the days before without one than I ever do in the race. See you out there

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply