Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High-edged arm pads: Kismet, Wattshop, etc.
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I am looking at switching my current arm rests for high-edged ones. I have found a few options and was wondering whether any of you had experience with these and/or could highlight some of the main differences in terms of feel and quality (in terms of support, flexibility, comfort, etc.).

My initially list had the likes of Kismet, Wattshop, D2Z and Aerocoach. I am eventually down to two options: Kismet vs. Wattshop. The Wattshop ones offer the possibility to go for a two-piece dual-sided option, which may offer a bit more of a "locked in" position vs. the single-sided Kismet. I however wonder whether this could be too much and actually impact comfort. Historically, the reviews on the Wattshop have been relatively average in terms of overall finish quality but they are coming out with a revised model shortly. On the other hand, Kismet is probably the #1 brand when it comes to high-hand high-edge option (especially within the tri world under the influence of Matt Bottrill with T.O., Tim Don, Rudy von Berg, etc.).

Keen to hear your views or if you've come across any other alternatives.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: High-edged arm pads: Kismet, Wattshop, etc. [Belgian_Waffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey mate, high arm pads are great. Definitely help with comfort and the 'locking in' feeling!

For reference, I've used the old tririg arm pads - they were awesome, about double the size of the standard Profile design arm pads. I found a big improvement in comfort! Tririg also have a new set of arm pads, called 'Scoops' with two different variations (https://www.tririg.com/store.php?c=scoops) which are the next set of pads I'm going to test out. After such a positive experience the first time round with Tririg, I have to say they're awesome and have great products. They're also relatively cheap, which is positive, and carbon, which is also cool. Can get replaceable pads easily, which isn't always the case for more boutique pads.

Wattshop have some cool ones too (https://www.shopforwatts.co.uk/...cts/anemoi-arm-rests) - no personal experience here, and yeah the reviews aren't always great, but they look cool and have a bunch of different options to fit whatever style of riding and fit you have. About the same price as the tririg ones, and wattshop will drill them for you if you have the right measurements for them.

I've had these Revolver ergo mantis cups (https://www.revolverwheels.co.uk/...re-tribar-arm-rests/). Stay well away. They look good, but are functionally terrible, are really small with the carbon support around the arms & you are probably going to have to have to drill them, but the carbon splinters terribly (and yes, I got a mechanic to do it instead of using my own clumsy hands). They have fairly poor finish quality & the pads they supply are pretty average as well. Also, if you use countersunk bolts, you can't use these as there isn't enough carbon to drill & thread them properly. You could go the custom route with Revolver, but after my initial experience with their product, I wouldn't bother spending $1k+ on their stuff

Kismet look cool - https://www.mattbottrillperformancecoaching.com/...e/kismet-carbon-pads - I've never used them, but they look half decent from finish quality & design perspective. Very nice weight at 104 grams. Same price as wattshop, replaceable pads, all looks good until you realise you have to drill your own holes. After my own experiences (and thus I am biased, so maybe disregard this) I'm not up for that again.

D2Z have some neat stuff - https://drag2zero.co.uk/d2z-shop/ - which I have to admit I love. They have a whole ecosystem which is designed to fit together, but also have just pads that work wonderfully. I've used their carbon poles (https://drag2zero.co.uk/d2z-extension-poles/) which I've loved, they add a significant amount of support & the product quality is great. I've trimmed the poles down to size (myself this time, used a carbon saw, and everything was 100% fine). I'd imagine the rest of their product line is just as good, would have no trouble recommending their stuff. They are a little pricey but I'd probably suggest that it's worth it.

Another option is the pads from Alden Carbon (https://www.alden-carbon.com/angled-aerobar-pad-cups), it's his own stuff & looks great. As everything is made to order, which means it's not too far off custom for your needs. They look cool, and everyone who buys Glen's stuff raves about it. Could be worth reaching out to him!

If you wanted to go the super high-end & pricey route, wattshop have another option - https://www.shopforwatts.co.uk/...ts/anemoi-extensions - available for pre order, looks awesome, but there aren't any reviews about it & being an early adopter can have potential risks associated...

For what it's worth, I'd go Tririg. Best product & customer service I've seen hands-down, and their products would probably fit what you're looking for to a t - increase in comfort & 'lockability' for your arms.
Quote Reply
Re: High-edged arm pads: Kismet, Wattshop, etc. [Belgian_Waffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I don't like armrests with a flat base and a sharp angle to the sides. I want my arm to be cradled.
Which is why I developed the Profile Design Race armrest shape

Not as tall as wattshop or a few of the others. But cheap and intended to lock you in place.
Quote Reply
Re: High-edged arm pads: Kismet, Wattshop, etc. [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dave, aren't they a bit limited with 'adjustableness' though? I love to have narrow arms (might be the exception) and PD just don't fit the bill as I have to trim them if I want to get my elbows close

Any reason why you don't like flat bases, given enough padding?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How high do you want.

Culprit csr isn’t as high as profile race but def a lot of par.

Joshua
Quote Reply
Re: High-edged arm pads: Kismet, Wattshop, etc. [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I considered the PD ones but unlikely they would offer a real change from my current ones (which are ~30-35mm high). This is also why I ruled out the D2Z. Kismet and Wattshop are both higher at 50mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll trade you my AeroCoach cups for your Sync cups.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option is Fibre Lyte.
I've been using these for a few years now, lock you in perfectly.
Only thing i'd change them for is a wattshop 20deg one-piece...

https://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/...ycles_timetrial.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alden design cups are a very nice quality and Glen did some cool custom work for me. Functionally they are very close to the Wattshop cups (I have the 15 cups from both companies), jbut the stiffness of the Alden cups is way higher. Personally I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.
Quote Reply
Re: High-edged arm pads: Kismet, Wattshop, etc. [jaredhartshorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How close do you want them? Assuming enough adjustability in the bars, if you set them up with the cups touching, it's only a couple cm shy of your arms together, which I doubt is actually the fastest position for anyone. I feel like any limitation on that front is the brackets, not the cups
Quote Reply
Re: High-edged arm pads: Kismet, Wattshop, etc. [jaredhartshorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaredhartshorn wrote:
Hey Dave, aren't they a bit limited with 'adjustableness' though? I love to have narrow arms (might be the exception) and PD just don't fit the bill as I have to trim them if I want to get my elbows close

You have Ergo armrests as far as I can tell. Race are 16mm narrower so your arms can be that much closer together (if the mount allows).

That is a rough approximation of a lean cyclist/triathletes forearm where it contacts the armrest (I measured a few in designing the race and ergo).
I'm all about contact area and have support to both the inside and outside of the arm for control.
The race is shown with a 10mm pad - I use the 5mm which gives more relative elevation.
Of course - how you interact with a flat pad is going to depend on arm rotation, body comp, personal preference. So for some people they work.
The genesis of the Race was that I used to cut alloy pipe into armrests that cupped the arm tightly - much less hassle to have them as a stock PD model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Belgian_Waffle wrote:
Hi all,

I am looking at switching my current arm rests for high-edged ones.

Thanks

Are you sure? You can't put your hands on them while climbing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve used both Wattshop and Kismet for the last 12 months.

I have the dual sided Kismet rests at the moment but they have a very tight radius so they don’t fully support your arm. With the vertical side wall they tend to dig in to your forearm too which does become uncomfortable. I opted for the dual sided (I contacted Kismet directly) but can’t say as I notice the inside wall of the rest. Quality is very good and they are nicely finished.

The Wattshop rests are the 15 degree tilt version, they have a much longer radius than the Kismet which supports your arm better and mine have a slight cutout towards the front of the sidewall to prevent it digging into your forearm. Again quality is very good. I’ve used Wattshop for a lot of other products and they’ve always been incredibly helpful and reliable.

I’ve just ordered a set of the new Revolver ProRok to try. The originals didn’t have much sidewall on them but the revised ones are significantly increased to 51mm. There’s a slight inner wall of 31mm to stop any lateral movement. They’re longer than the Wattshop rests at 125mm to support more of your arm although they also do a tri version which is 155mm length. They’re not on the website yet but will be up in a couple of days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can make you a pair if you are still looking for armrest... they will be fully customized to what you like. Feel free to send me a email at mathiasguillemette@gmail.com
***wont cost you 180 bucks***
Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers for the reply!

Yep I'm using PD cups as a temporary fix until Tririg come out with their newly-hinted products for the front end of a bike (or if it's a terrible design I'll get their scoops, just waiting and seeing at this point) & given that I'm riding 90% on the trainer it doesn't matter too much to me. When race season starts up again I'm sure I'll have something different

I definitely like the initial idea for the design of those cups, that's pretty unique thinking. I'm guessing I've just got weirdly shaped forearms which make it uncomfortable for me with the PD ones I've got
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
jaredhartshorn wrote:

You have Ergo armrests as far as I can tell. Race are 16mm narrower so your arms can be that much closer together (if the mount allows).

That is a rough approximation of a lean cyclist/triathletes forearm where it contacts the armrest (I measured a few in designing the race and ergo).
I'm all about contact area and have support to both the inside and outside of the arm for control.
The race is shown with a 10mm pad - I use the 5mm which gives more relative elevation.
Of course - how you interact with a flat pad is going to depend on arm rotation, body comp, personal preference. So for some people they work.
The genesis of the Race was that I used to cut alloy pipe into armrests that cupped the arm tightly - much less hassle to have them as a stock PD model.

Forearm? Who said anything about forearm???

;)

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: High-edged arm pads: Kismet, Wattshop, etc. [undapressure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the detailed comparison! Are the Wattshops dual-sided as well? Any difference in terms of carbon quality and flex between these and the Kismets?

I'll keep an eye for the new Revolver.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wattshop just redesigned there cups. I got a pair for the 15% angle from the first batch out the door. They are bomb proof. I think they were have problems with quality and they real over compensated with these. When I drilled my holes, I used a new bit and seem to take for ever.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: High-edged arm pads: Kismet, Wattshop, etc. [undapressure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the Kismet Deep Groove 2 sided cups or the one with the vertical wall which I only see as one side? Also, what bike is this on? I am interested in the Deep Groove for a Speed Concept. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: High-edged arm pads: Kismet, Wattshop, etc. [bkleem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if your not in a rush, wait

Culprits new design will fit most all riders needs. Will pre sell in fall with early 2022 shipping
Quote Reply
Re: High-edged arm pads: Kismet, Wattshop, etc. [bkleem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am now riding the "vertical wall" ones. Tested the deep groove ones as well but the wall height is lower and I felt I could more easily tuck in with the higher sided ones. Probably the best purchase I've done on the bike and can't recommend dealing with Matt Bottrill and Kismet enough!
Quote Reply
Re: High-edged arm pads: Kismet, Wattshop, etc. [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s the new design?
Quote Reply
Re: High-edged arm pads: Kismet, Wattshop, etc. [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
applying patents, so can't release details. will offer pad only, extensions only and new pad/extension 1 piece
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. Excited to hear more details when time is right.
Quote Reply