Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Higdon, McMillan or Something Else?
Quote | Reply
Going to be running a marathon or two next year and was wondering which of the above plans you recommend. I am currently averaging about 30miles a week and am running a half marathon at a 6:45min pace.

looking to see if I can't get a BQ outbox this effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Higdon, McMillan or Something Else? [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For first marathon I would recommend a Barry P Plan. I BQ’d doing Barry P, peaking at 65 mpw, on my first attempt.

I ran my second off of a Phitzinger High Mileage Advanced 18 week plan (peaked at 90 mpw). I skipped the speed workouts when tired. It had me running everyday and doubles once or twice a week.

It was a grind on a few occasions , but I felt very well prepared. Most of this block was during 100/100 ST challenge, which kept me motivated.

I am going to do the Phitzinger plan again for this year’s Boston.
Quote Reply
Re: Higdon, McMillan or Something Else? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input.

I like the Hal Higdon setup and the Barry P but, I am just a little hesitant because I feel like the mileage is too light. Then again this could be me just being use to covering three sports and having two workouts a day to do.

Could I just up the mileage on these plans during the week to help ease my mind? Or do I just stop, trust the process and go with what is out there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both Pfitz and McMillan will provide you with very solid plans....if you actually do the workouts as prescribed. Not sure you are capable of BQ, as you didn't provide your gender/age related to your 6:45/mi half marathon pace. In general, however, 30mi per week is not very much and it may take a while to build healthy mileage and the required cardio-musculoskeletal-mind endurance to approach BQ Qualifying Times.

Add: Also, get use to the idea of focusing on "one" sport - running. It will be necessary if you realistically hope to BQ.

Good luck.
Last edited by: Brushman: Oct 23, 19 8:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed the Higdon workouts, used them for quite a few marathons successfully, though I wasn't (and probably will never be) trying to qualify for Boston. I do know he has a Boston specific program or at least he used to. I felt like the workouts were well structured and I always came to the race prepared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think adding mileage is doable.

I would start with adding a 4 mile easy run to a few of the lighter days to get in a double.
Quote Reply