Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hi, new introduction, with swim video
Quote | Reply
Hi all, my name is Gina and I have been trying to train and learn more about triathlon for almost a year now. I have been reading the forums on Slowtwitch for several months now, just trying to learn and absorb as much information as I can. I've always been intimidated to post anything here as I am far from the level that you all are currently at.

I was planning on doing the Ironman 70.3 Tempe this Oct, but it looks like that won't happen due to covid, but I still continue to train and learn. If anything this gives me an additional year to learn and grow before actually finishing a half Ironman.

I am 39 years old, I turn 40 next week!! I don't have much of an athletic background, but I have done running off and on through the years, which has maybe given me a small base to grow from. I don't have much of a swimming background, but I was a lifeguard when I was younger. I never learned proper swimming technique though.

As far as biking goes, I have done a lot of indoor training on Zwift/Rouvy, but I have a hard time going fast down hills and by fast I mean anything over like 18 mph haha. I have to get outside more and get comfortable with riding. When I ride too fast outside I feel dizzy and scared like I'm going to fall off the bike. That is something that I am trying to work on though. I don't know if I will ever be able to do a triathlon on an actual Tri bike in Aerobars, but I enjoy a regular road bike, which gets the job done.

I am currently trying to do a swim focused build so if anyone has any advice, tips, drills, and/or critiques that will help me I would love to hear it! I just had a video recorded today. I can see that I am crossing pretty badly and will need to work on that. The weather is still nice here in NM so I'm hoping to get a lot of swim training in before the summer is over.

I currently swim around a 1:50 per 100 meters on the short course 25 meter length pool.

here is a link to my latest swimming video from this morning:

Gina Swim

Thanks, and nice to meet you all!
Quote Reply
Re: Hi, new introduction, with swim video [ginalclark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! welcome to the sport. Always plenty to work on no matter who you are.

From the swim video...

You DO have proper body position - which for many is difficult to obtain. Your kick looks reasonable too.

I assume that video is of you doing your "best" form but not at speed. A video of you going as fast as possible in 50 and maybe 100 might reveal different things. Personally, I'm a big fan that speed is a excellent (but tough) teacher.

Assuming your near term goals are finishing; as apposed to competing in your AG, you should be fine swim wise. Just stay with it and make peace with the pace clock. Know that it takes dozens of intense sessions to see the results reflected in your times.

Re: The bike, keep practicing, keep in mind if others can do it, so can you. Perhaps you can find a friend and ride Mt. bikes to expand your comfort zone(s), and skills [nothing like learning to read the terrain, body position, braking, etc. - handy skills to build confidence for the road].

Most important enjoy the journey and savor the progress,
keith

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ginalclark wrote:
When I ride too fast outside I feel dizzy and scared like I'm going to fall off the bike. That is something that I am trying to work on though. I don't know if I will ever be able to do a triathlon on an actual Tri bike in Aerobars, but I enjoy a regular road bike, which gets the job done.

Just get as many outdoor rides that you can and get some clip on Aerobars.

You don’t have to use them all the time, but gradually spend more time in them when you feel comfortable. You’ll probably feel more comfortable with a wide aerobar stance so just get what feels somewhat comfortable and then your speed confidence will gradually come up as well.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Hi, new introduction, with swim video [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Keith and thank you!

I really appreciate your feedback on my swimming and bike. As far as swimming, that is my somewhat moderate pace. I actually need to do more speed work. Still trying to get my breathing down right. When I do speed work, I generally breathe every stroke and only turn my head to my right. I'm sure my form is definitely different when I do that. I can feel myself getting more sloppy the more tired I become.

My goal for the half Ironman is to finish. I am doing this more for fitness and to try and keep healthy. I'm okay with not placing in my AG, I just want to feel good when I'm done and not struggle too much. haha

As for the bike, a mountain bike does feel more sturdy for me, but it's hard to get the speed I need. I will go ahead and try to alternate if I can, just to get some of the skills down and build more confidence.

Thank you again! I will try to enjoy the journey and progress throughout this!
Quote Reply
Re: Hi, new introduction, with swim video [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi plant_based!

Thank you for your feedback. I do need to make more of an effort to ride outdoors. I have to do better with that. Surprisingly, I don't mind the trainer that much. I've done a lot of treadmill too, so I am use to indoor training. I just have to become more comfortable outside. I will look into Aerobars. As of now, I feel like I need a steady grip on the handlebars to feel grounded. It's definitely all about building more confidence in myself out there. As the saying goes, "practice makes perfect", or in my case, it'll help a little each time! haha

Thanks again!

Gina
Quote Reply
Re: Hi, new introduction, with swim video [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You swim better than a lot of folks in triathlon but there's always room for improvement. You are correct about the crossover but there are other related issues to consider. I would work on the set up and catch phase of your stroke and also the timing. More of a "front quadrant" stroke where you reach and extend one hand (without rotating your elbow to the inside) while the other hand comes over the top. This does two things, it provides support and balance that will keep your hips from over rotating and gives you time to apply the high elbow catch.

Another thing related to timing is to take a quicker breath and return your head to the neutral position before the arm stroke comes over.

Good luck and welcome to triathlon!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Hi, new introduction, with swim video [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Fuller! Thank you!

I believe I know what you're talking about when you refer to the "front quadrant" stroke. I think I have done some of those in drills. I will have to add some more time with that then. I will also look more into it to make sure I am doing it correctly. There are definitely many things to improve on and I will keep trying. The breathing is still very hard for me. I am always trying to find better ways to become more comfortable.

Lots to think about! Thank you again for your welcome and feedback!

Gina
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of getting free advice from YouTube, here's a couple of things to absorb that are generally considered correct:

Brenton at Effortless Swimming is pretty good but sometimes a bit long winded, he has a huge volume of video online. https://www.youtube.com/...KLvk2ET20&t=800s

Chloe Sutton I think does a great job of keeping things simple and easy to understand. She's a bit too perky but I've got used to it and have begun to appreciate her approach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1OY_yQBiXM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN7jvcoKQZ8

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your body position looks great! You keep your hips up, core engaged and have a steady kick, which is half the battle with adult swimmers.

The two biggest factors that are limiting your speed is your catch and your pull. I could write a long explanation, but, this link does a wayyyyy better job. And it gives you drills to fix it!

Also, I like to use a snorkel when I’m working on catch/pull. That way I don’t have to worry about breathing and all of that. However, They are a little weird to get used to.

Have fun progressing!

https://swimswam.com/...freestyle-technique/

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Hi, new introduction, with swim video [Jkgoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much Fuller and Jkgoff for the video links. I will watch them all and take in what I can. I'm excited to one day help my speed some more and hopefully have correct form. I did go ahead and purchase a snorkel to help me focus more on my catch and pull. There is so much to think about when you're in the water, it can be overwhelming.

Thanks again!

Gina
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also try to get in some open water swims if you haven’t already to get comfortable with that. .

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Hi, new introduction, with swim video [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi JackStraw13!

I've only done one open water swim so far. I plan to do another in the next couple of weeks. It's unfortunately hard to fit them in with the distance to the lake and having some closed. I did enjoy the openness, though. Hoping my next one is just as enjoyable!

Thanks!

Gina
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ginalclark wrote:
Hi plant_based!

Thank you for your feedback. I do need to make more of an effort to ride outdoors. I have to do better with that. Surprisingly, I don't mind the trainer that much. I've done a lot of treadmill too, so I am use to indoor training. I just have to become more comfortable outside. I will look into Aerobars. As of now, I feel like I need a steady grip on the handlebars to feel grounded. It's definitely all about building more confidence in myself out there. As the saying goes, "practice makes perfect", or in my case, it'll help a little each time! haha

Thanks again!

Gina

Yeah - to be honest, the first time I tried to ride in my aerobars, I felt clumsy and reckless. But, eventually you start to get it. Just spend some time in the position and if it doesn't feel right, keep adjusting until you feel comfortable/aero.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m no expert, but I also started the sport as an adult with minimal swim instruction. My impression was that your position and stroke is at a great place for a beginner, glad to see others confirming that.

It is so boring, but I’ve found that consistent swimming combined with steadily increasing volume and intensity allowed me to keep making gains. Personally I find it easier to focus on 1-2 technique things per session rather than trying to keep track of lots of different things.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Hi, new introduction, with swim video [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, plant_based! It'll be interesting to see how I fare the first time I try Aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ginalclark wrote:
Thank you, plant_based! It'll be interesting to see how I fare the first time I try Aerobars.

Honestly it feels touchy initially - but you'll get it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Gina, welcome aboard. The fist main things I would work on if I were you, all have to do with your arms and hands. The worst thing I can see is that you are dropping your elbow when you pull, thus sliding off the water, instead of holding it and moving it. Next is that you break your wrist on the pull, try and keep your hand and forearm as one long, straight unit when pulling. And just relax your hand, you can see you are forcing a cupping with it, and that just leads to unneeded stresses in the catch and pull phase..

If you can get a coach on deck to watch you in real time, that would hasten your improvements immensely. If you cannot, then take one or two items at a time and just work on them, and watch lots of videos of good swimmers. That will help you understand the advice you get here, form a mental image of it, and then go replicate it as well as you can on your own..Good luck!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hi, new introduction, with swim video [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi MI_Mumps!

I agree about being consistent. I think that has helped me the most. Currently, I swim anywhere from 3-5 days a week depending on my training week. I try to switch up what I do on each day because yes, it can be boring. I do have so much to work on though, so I think you're right about focusing on 1-2 techniques per session. Thank you for your feedback!

Gina
Quote Reply
Re: Hi, new introduction, with swim video [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Monty and thank you!

I agree with you and other posters about my catch and pull. Having watched the video again, I notice some of things everyone has mentioned. I was actually considering taking a master swim class soon if I can. I've heard that has helped swimmers gain improvements. I have watched several of the videos and with everyone's guidance, I will definitely be trying some new ways to improve. Thank you for your advice! Interested to see how swimming goes tomorrow trying some things out!

Gina
Quote Reply