Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hey Mister Tibbs...
Quote | Reply
now that I think about it...wasn't it Sidney Poitier?
would that mean CJ is african american (I'll cut it to black if noone minds...in most euro countries, there is nothing pejorative or offending in saying this...)?

How come there are so few black triathletes?? not talking kenyans turned triathletes...

just curious. see tons of whites, tons of asians (see japanese contingent sent to hawaii every year)...but
in France, very few triathletes come from Guadeloupe etc...(black), and same in the US...
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"How come there are so few black triathletes"

Wondered that myself. My wife has a close black female friend who is very good runner but won't attempt a triathlon/duathlon. Asked her why so few black triathletes and her reply was "black people just don't swim or ride bikes" Another black guy and a black woman that I went out with for two years also told me the same thing regarding swimming. In fact the black guy honestly believes that black people can't swim because they naturally "sink" in water. I tried to teach me ex girlfriend how to swim for two years but gave up on her as hopeless. It was all in her head that she couldn't do it.

This is obviously not a genetic thing, but a cultural perception. Which might also explain why there are also so few black people involved in scuba diving.

That's $.02 from a white guy, so I can't really speak for black triathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, I'll explode the myth. I've heard all the stuff about bone/muscle density, but black people can swim! When I was competing in college, there was a highly ranked black breaststroker at the U of Chicago. Also, when I was in high school there was an excellent butterflyer who was black. I think it is just that swimming is kind of a "country club" sport that not many blacks get exposed to growing up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, I buy the swimming. maybe it's genetic...most of the black dudes and dudettes may not float as well, although I am sure Anthony Nesty and Anthony Irvin (although he is of descent only) may disagree...

but cycling? can it be cultural somehow?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It's not a genetic thing or cultural percepion, unless you're refering to white people's perception. Many blacks don't swim because their parents can't swim. Who takes their kid to a pool or beach when they'd drown trying to rescue their can't swim kid? And the parents can't swim because up until 20 or 30 years ago white folks didn't figure they'd spend any of thier public money to build pools for a segement of the population they didn't care much for. So, the fear of swimming gets passed down. Take a look at your city and see what neighborhoods the public pools are located in.

SM
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"a "country club" sport that not many blacks get exposed to growing up. "

Kinda like golf or tennis. I would imagine sooner or later a Tiger or Williams sister will show up in triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indeed...country club? huh?
what's the cost? pair of speedos? swedish goggles...
no, I don't buy that...

I would possibly buy the cultural argument brought up by skid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's pretty much the same argument. Not so much the cost as accessibility--in a lot of towns without a municipal pool (and in a lot of places, blacks weren't welcome in the municipal pool), there are only two places to swim. One is the country club, with swimming lessons every morning and swim teams, too. The other place is the creek, with no swimming lessons and no swim team. The inaccessibility/lack of welcome became imbued in the culture. I agree with Cerveloguy (for once!). Someday, there will be a black swimming star, that will probably come out of a large city with a municipal pool background--ala Arthur Ashe in tennis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"country club? huh?.....what's the cost?"

A very $$$ bike or two, Zipp wheels, one piece carbon aero bars, latest Orca wetsuit, latest gotta have gizmos, entry fees, travel costs, etc.

This can be an expensive sport if you want to make it into one. But then of course it doesn't have to be. And a lot of that $$$ stuff won't make you that much faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I agree with Cerveloguy (for once!). "

Ha!!

tri_bri2, what's that old expression - great minds think alike. Or is it fools seldom differ? Good thing for one of us that we don't agree too often!
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [skid marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
communities with pools BUY THEM with property taxes from the residents

geez
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
communities with pools BUY THEM with property taxes from the residents

geez
Not in Cali they don't. Funded by membership dues and use fees in every city and county in the state, bar none. The new pool at La Jolla High was 100% paid for with private dollars (that came from rich white people). It may be a public pool, but it sure looks like a country club over there to me...
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not in TX either...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well my aussie french friend I am o'fay. Cracker to the core. I chose Mr. Tibbs because The Heat of the Night has always been one of my favorite movies. When the sheriff says "what's your name boy." and Sidney busts out with "You will call me Mr. Tibbs." Balls. Balls as big as church bells. A black man standing up for himself at that time and place. Beautiful. I just wanna channel some of that right now. I need to be a bad ass again. And we all know Sidney is one bad dude.

As far as blacks and triathlons. Easy, blacks don't want to do triathlons. Blacks can swim, ride bikes and run. They just don't want to. In the black community right now the basketball and football are oricales of faith. Go watch a pick up game at your local public park one day. You will see men in true passion. The black community loves ball games and they find great pride and power on the field, court and diamond. Simple. They don't want too. I say it's thier loss. The more the marrier in my book.

Just keep those crapy purple shirts out of the way. Inpure sub-humans.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it is a lack of money...I come from a very modest background...didn't live on a paved road until in second grade, had junky old hand-me-down bikes. Learned to swim in the creek (well, if you can call what I do swimming...I am getting better, but, it's hard to fall OUT of a hole).

One thing for certain, darker-skinned individuals aren't unwelcome in the triathlon communities I've been in. In fact, they are treated somewhat as celebrities...because they are so rare. I do the same thing that most others do, make it a point to introduce myself and even hang out with him or her (one of each gender have ventured out to the races I've been in) before and after the race just to make sure they feel welcome. It quickly becomes apparent that they don't need my attention, because they are almost surrounded by a bunch of other crackers like me doing the same thing. (Actually, I have a good deal of American Indian in my genetic makeup, but, I sure look like a plain ole' saltine cracker.)

But, I have a real fear of the sterotypical large-wheeled Confederate battle-flag adorned jacked-up trucks I see coming up from behind me while I'm riding. Lots of trepidation occurs as I try to determine if they are going to launch the last bit of their chili-dawg out the window at my head. It's happened enough times to give me good reason to be biased against the occupants of this kind of vehicle. Now, if I were Black, I would imagine the fear would be multiplied. Who needs this kind of problem when trying to enjoy being outside and doing something fun and healthy?

There are enough people talking on the cell phone while driving, or just not paying enough attention to see a lone cyclist in the road, but the blatant purveyors of the attitude that suggests that they don't-give-a-#$%@ about anybody else, and actually do things that could be called assault, well, it happens enough to an apparent cracker like me that I don't know if I'd ride many places if I were melatonin-enhanced.

BTW, this whole auto-bike thing has changed for the better immeasureably since I moved to a small town. The thing I have to watch out for here is: people not being used to a cyclist going so fast. They are very apologetic when they start to pull out in front of me, and I end up having to brake. Waving at me with ALL FIVE FINGERS extended, mouthing "I'm sorry!", etc. I do wish they'd go ahead and pass me when there is a double yellow line and no other car is approaching...that's just being a little TOO nice for my taste...and it often makes me go faster than my workout goals because I'm trying not to hold such a nice person back! Sometimes, I just pull over to a side street so they'll go on by. What a change from the bad manners of too many drivers on the outskirts of Charlotte.

I don't mind having to watch out for myself, but, I do mind people purposefully doing things that can result in injury. And I think this perception of purposeful dangerous acts would be greater if my skin color were darker. Maybe this is a contributing factor to the relative absence of darker skinned people riding bikes.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there was 3 black people at IMoo this year (two men and a woman), 4 at IMLP last year, 2 the year before (that I saw - there may have been more). They all did QUITE well. One black guy (no I will NOT say "African American") and I were talking at the awards banquet after IMLP...very nice guy...said to me in a "Koontookintaa" (how do you spell that)

Well once I got out a da wata...I juss rode da bike till I knew I had ta run...and I ran like like da man was chasing me

All with a GIANT smile on his face. he then looked at me and said "and NO the bike was NOT stolen"...

I really hope more black people do join us in this little tri game we play...I also hope that they have the sense of humor that the guy I met in IMLP has. (but maybe that is only cause I beat him buy a good 90 minutes....had he beat me I am sure I would not feel the same way).

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois, when you get a chance, check out the exploits of a probable new board member of the SouthMidWest Region of the USAT, Olen Penn and his girl friend, Darlene Jones. Darlene did the Iron Star 1/2 in 5:22, won her age group, 35-39, and had the 83d fastest swim in 33 and change. All I will say is that Olen and Darlene do not fit the stereotypical skin color of the triathletes about whom we usually talk.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had a guy in our team in France (Eric was his name) who was black. Really cool dude and very strong rider (elite 1) on the flats. He was the nicest guy of the bunch, but came to know when to be mean...
the dude was like lynford christie on a bike.We had a close call with kids in a car once. He got off his bike the kids saw him coming and just went away so fast!!!
Was hilarious...then he comes back, quiet as a yogi...like, hey why did they leave, just wanted to talk to them (which was true)
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know Olen aka Muscleboy...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perchance was that guy Erik Saunders, who now rides for Ofoto - Lombardi Sports?

bub
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [bub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope. Forgot his last name. but he was from Guadeloupe I think...and couldn't talk english whatsoever...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny story: One time at my wife's work they were all discussing the reason for no good black swimmers. After several minutes of thinking up all the reasons, one of their black friends came by so they asked him the question. His answer was "no money in it" :) They all had a good laugh.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [Larry Mackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes there is money...in the form of scholarships...

in Oz, there is quite a bit of money in swimming...
hackett, perkins, thorpe, oneil etc...make a very good living out of their sport and endorsements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indeed...country club? huh?
what's the cost? pair of speedos? swedish goggles...
no, I don't buy that...

million dollar pool, swim team membership, etc. For the most part its economic. Their aren't many people who grew up on the lower end of the economic scale who are good swimmers.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe...but it's not the cost of the sport...

you don't have to buy the pool team membership?

There are 3 swim teams in El Paso which is a POOR town on average. Yet some kids get full scholarship to swim...

it's not the very top level, but full scholarship just to swim is a prtty good indication that you are a VERY decent swimmer
Quote Reply

Prev Next