Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with wahoo rival
Quote | Reply
Looking for help with my new wahoo rival - having trouble with structured workouts. I'm following an 80/20 sprint plan (first time training for a tri in a long time, last one was in 2013!) and building the workouts in TP. No problems sending the workouts to the watch or getting through them. The issue is review in either the wahoo app or strava after completed - in both cases the whole workout is one lap. So, if I want to look at how fast I went or what my HR was for an interval I can't do that.

The run profile is set to auto lap every mile and it does that when in that mode just fine - displaying the time it took to run that distance on the watch and in the apps. In workout mode i have the autolap for each interval setting on. On the watch I can look through the history and see the auto laps, but only as time per interval (also odd each interval is short by little bit - a second or so). Which is no help as I know I was doing a 5 min interval (for example). In the wahoo element app workouts show only one lap with average pace and HR for the whole thing as does Strava - ie all warm-up, work, and cool down averaged together.

I'm just looking to be able to review after the workout is complete what pace and HR I did for each section - in the wahoo app would be fine. Strava too.

What am I missing? My firmware is updated.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with wahoo rival [MadisonGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Final Surge where it will show the lap breakdowns
Quote Reply
Re: Help with wahoo rival [laseranimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you - I was not aware of that app - looks nice and I'll give it a try. Would you be able to quick check how a workouts recorded by a rival look in the element app? Does it give lap data for intervals?

The fact the element app does not break the workout down by intervals using the lap feature really makes me think I'm doing something wrong - as how could they leave that out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so for whatever reason Wahoo Element, Strava, and Training Peaks do not show data for each interval when you're using the structured workout function in the Wahoo Rival. They'll only pull either data from an auto lap in a non structured workout or a manual lap, which defeats the entire purpose of a automatic structured workout because when you trigger a manual lap it will advance to the next interval.

I'd been using final surge as a backup to Training Peaks and I'd honestly switch over if Wahoo ever allowed importing structured workouts from Final Surge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok - I've tried Final Surge - both on the desktop and on Android and for the structured workouts everything is still all in one lap. Nice looking platform though... even if the name sounds a little terminal.

I'm really curious about how this lap issue with structured workouts originated. It seems like it would be so easy to put a lap mark at the end of intervals for easy integration into all the platforms - like what that configuration option in the element app seems to suggest it does (but does not actually function). Naively I could more easily understand how 3rd part platforms might not work if there is not a good standard around the data (or something like that), but I don't get how it does not show up correctly in their own app!

I think I need to dig around and better understand how FIT files are structured.

I can still do the workouts I want to do and really like the TP integration. Overall the rival works for me - also excited to try the multiport handoff. I assume this issue is on a list to be fixed, but until then there has to be a workaround...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the latest update "fixed" the combining all laps into one lap

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017569220-ELEMNT-RIVAL-Firmware-Updates

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You noticed that update quickly! Thanks - made sure I updated the watch before my run yesterday - works perfectly now. Shows the intervals correctly in the Element app and in Strava.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to resurrect this but I recently got a Rival and am having this exact same issue...even though I'm on the latest firmware that should have fixed it. Is it still working correctly for you? It's really frustrating!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with wahoo rival [swb384] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience is similar. Waiting to hear from Wahoo

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Help with wahoo rival [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They sent me a replacement, I’m out of town but will try it out when I’m back. I highly doubt it was a hardware issue but I’ll know next week. It worked correctly when doing a structured running workout, it seemed to solely be an issue for swimming. I really liked the watch otherwise, but as someone who uses the structured workouts pretty regularly for swimming on my Garmin it felt like a huge step backwards to give that up and go back to writing down the sets or being forced to remember them!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with wahoo rival [swb384] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm after that firmware update I've not had a problem with structured training for running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had a rival for almost a year and it always showed laps in Training Peaks for me.

About 6 months ago it started doing some weird things recording swim distances and splits and I had to do a factory reset but it has been fine again ever since.

I do find that the Rival can be a bit buggy at times but they have all been things I could fix pretty easily so I am still happy with it.
Quote Reply