Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with picking RIMS
Quote | Reply
I’m building a new bike (Allez Sprint Comp) and would like some suggestions for the wheels I’m planning on having built. I’ll use this bike for group rides, racing crits, road racing and a bit for commuting.
Here are my requirements:

• I already purchased Industry Nine hubs (Torch/Classic Road Hubs)
  • Rims must have aluminum brake track (no carbon brake track)
  • I prefer wide rims
  • I prefer 30mm – 40mm depth rims
  • Durability is important
  • I’ll be using Continental GP5000 28mm tires

Knowing all of this, which rims would you pick? Do any current rims meet all of my above requirements?
What spokes would you suggest?

If it matters, I’m located in Norcal.

Thanks for any advice!
-Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Help with picking RIMS [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How wide is wide enough?

The DT Swiss RR511 (32mm deep, 18c internal) is quite durable and, when built with quality bladed spokes, surprisingly aero.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like HED Belgium or Belgium Plus rims. Little on the expensive side, but they build great wheels with ease.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with picking RIMS [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
How wide is wide enough?

The DT Swiss RR511 (32mm deep, 18c internal) is quite durable and, when built with quality bladed spokes, surprisingly aero.

I'll check those out. I'd prefer wider but so far these are front runners
Quote Reply
Re: Help with picking RIMS [MetinUz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MetinUz wrote:
I like HED Belgium or Belgium Plus rims. Little on the expensive side, but they build great wheels with ease.

These are great because they're so wide, but they're only 24mm wide. I like the internal width being 21mm though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aforce Al33
Kinlin XR31T
Boyd Altamont

Not sure of anything >20mm internal.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with picking RIMS [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, check at Bikehubstore for the Aforce 33 or Kinlin XR31, they're located in your neighborhood.
The Kinlin's "old" anodised surface wears pretty quickly (can't speak for their newer matte finish), but the rims are good, I have some that are 12 yrs old and still running.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
How wide is wide enough?

Dt Swiss 521
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought FLO 30 rims and built them with White Industries T11 hubs. Are they super light? No. But they’re incredibly durable (I used 28 spokes front and rear) and they roll suuuuuper smooth cuz of the width. I think you’d be happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not as deep as you are after but great rims and I built up a set of wheels with an asymmetrical rear.

https://pacenticycledesign.com/collections/rims
Quote Reply
Re: Help with picking RIMS [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews-and-testing/alloy-rim-roundup/

I found this to be helpful.
Quite an old/obsolete list.

This is an interesting bit of info though:
https://novemberbicycles.com/...sw3-and-other-alloys
Quote Reply
Re: Help with picking RIMS [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl.n wrote:
gary p wrote:
How wide is wide enough?

Dt Swiss 521

Great rims,....if you have disc brakes.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I've decided on getting the HED Belgium C2 Rims. They're not as deep as I'd like, but everything else is great.

What number of spokes should I go with? I'm 180 lbs, plan on using these for group rides and racing, and haven't purchased those i9 hubs yet so I could go any setup. Would 24 front / 24 rear work? I assume this is a balance between weight / stiffness / durability?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That front hub and rim combo would build up very strong so could go light spokes up front
On the back you would want a bit heavier gauge to keep appropriate stiffness. For myself I'd go 28 on the rear to match f/r stiffness better and be sure of a firm feel.

I built new wheels for my wifes road bike with Kinlin XR31T (RT on the rear) - they came together nicely. Have mostly used Kinlin rims for ~10years (for training wheels that I build) with never an issue.
Quote Reply