Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with new aero bar purchase! Hed or Oval
Quote | Reply
I am getting ready to build a new Tri bike and I am currently using Syntace C-2s. I want to upgrade my aero bars and could use any help/input.

Are the new carbon aero bars like Hed and Oval A900 a better choice considering the extra cost? I have read previous comments and I hear comments about lack of stiffness and use on rolling/hilly terrain.

If you had your choice would you pick Hed or Oval A900 carbon aero bars? They look very similar.

Thanks!
Last edited by: tommy: Dec 31, 03 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Help with new aero bar purchase! Hed or Oval [tommy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both bars are great bars and I would not worry about flex as I put as much torque on my Hed aero bars as anyone and they are fine. My only problem with them is the limited space on the bull horns. The folks at bikesports indicate the oval has a little more hand room so you may want to go that direction or if you have time I would wait and look into the new carbon visiontech.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't be happier with my decision to get the Hed aerobar. the adjustability of the bar is beyond compare (well, the oval doesn't really count since it's nearly the same bar). Based on this, I wouldn't recommend waiting for the new Visiontech bars. the shots I saw from interbike don't suggest it will be very adjustable.

I'll reveal my shallowness and admit that I choose the hed over the oval for the snob appeal. due to posts here I was a bit concerned about the hand position on the bullhorns, but haven't once wished that it was shaped any differently. maybe I have small hands, I don't know.

websites list the oval at 100grams heavier than the hed's. not that I trust weights listed on websites, but the oval wouldn't likely be heavier based on more bar in their design. the hed angles up to the "hoods" position, while the oval goes straight out then up. More material weighs more, so another nod to the head.

finally, I lost the bolt that secures the pin that holds the left brake lever in recently. I called Hed to see if I could get one, the woman who answered the phone was very nice, went to see if they had any, then took my address to send me one. no charge. if you search this board, you'll see many similar comments about hed customer service. oval may be equal, but currently they're unproven.

unless you get a chance to try both (unlikely given the rarity of finding this in a LBS) to see if you like one shape better than the other, I'd strongly recommend the Hed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't had the opportunity to try the Oval bar but have used the HED bar and like it very much.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help with new aero bar purchase! Hed or Oval [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The HED bar is VERY well done!

Sam

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: Help with new aero bar purchase! Hed or Oval [sambean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the HED bars, and love them.....

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky
Quote Reply
Re: Help with new aero bar purchase! Hed or Oval [flytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never rode on with a HED but I love my Oval. It just depends how much you really want to pay. Both are practically the same bar.
Quote Reply
The real deciding factor- [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What color is your bike? and what model? It seems that one of them will probably match with your bike better than the other.

-It's not how fast you are, It's how fast you look.
Quote Reply