Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with nemesis - the dreaded run
Quote | Reply
To all,

I need some serious help...

As some background info, I have been a triathlete for just a year now from very little activity before then and in my childhood. I am 34, 5-10 and weigh 170lbs (now, dropped about 35 lbs since start). I work with a coach and train at 6 days a week with some days morning and night or bricks here and there.

Now the problem, In the swim, I am in the top 25% in the age group (i can swim sub 6:00 400s or sub 25 minute miles), I can bike in the top 20-15% in AG (averaging 23-25 over a 40K distance). however, I am always bottom 15% on the run. Even in run only events, I pretty much suck. My best ever standaone 5K has been 27 minutes. In races, I cant replicate, not even close. In training, I have been able to run 5 K in 24 minutes but that has been the best ever. My fastest mile ever was about 7:15 but I could not continue beyond that. I just think that there is something fundamentally wrong with the way I run. I have had people look at me run and I am not the elephant man when I run, I am pretty normal I think.

It is not a matter of going easier on the bike and or swim, It does not matter what I do in the events, I just cant run. Not sure if it is mental (Im sure part of it is), I do speed work (intervals) and have a solid base (maybe too much base and not enough speedwork). Or maybe Im just not meant to run. I just cannot seem to break the 10 minute mile average in a race (be it a sprint or an Oly).

Can someone help me diagnose the problem and come up with some possible plans? I know this is a small sample of my training but don't want to bother people with too much. Any help, be it moral or scientific is welcomed. Maybe I should just become a roadie.....not!

Thanks, JJ
Quote Reply
Re: Help with nemesis - the dreaded run [juanjob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would spend this winter running. Take a few weeks off after the end of the season, then, for the next 3-4 months, set up a schedule where you run 4-5 days per week and blow off the other 2 sports until next spring. They come easy to you, so I think you'll be able to pick them back up in no time. If anything, I'd try to swim once a week to keep a little feel. Best case, find a running race in February or March to train for. 1/2 marathon would probably be good, because you'll need to log some long runs and benefit from tempo work there. It doesn't sound like you are ever going to be one of the faster runners, but I bet you can drop 4-5 minutes off your 10k time just by spending this winter as a runner, esp. if you can drop another 10 lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes! That is really slow in relation to your swim and bike.

You say your base is good. How good? How many miles a week and how many weeks?

If that's ok, I would maybe look at flexibility. Good bikers and swimmers tend to be hurt by tight hamstrings and lower back that hurt their running. The more resistance in those area, the greater the effort needed to run.

Also, do you run with a group? I would think running with a running club on your long runs can make the difference. You may have to work hard to keep up and may become a hard workout, but if you prepare and recover properly they can make the difference.

Finally, what kind of interval stuff are you doing? Are you just doing 400s or 800s at faster than threshold? Those may make you fast on the track but may not help in a triathlon where you are forced to run at a speed slower than threshold. I would make sure you do some tempo runs. Those are the bread and butter of speed work in my opinion.

Let me know if any of that needs explaining. Hope it helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the swimmer-biker club. I came out of T2 in the top ten (AG) twice last year (out of 125-210 athletes) only to finish in the 27th to 45th range (running 9s and 10s). Based on how I'm now running, I think I'd hold onto top 15 today. Not fast, but getting better. Here's what I've learned:

You have to run a lot. You have to go to "running camp" for a year or two to reach your potential. Start with the classic Lydiard training. 5-6 days a week at a nice steady pace. Not "easy". Work a little, but not so hard that you're tired the next day. Get in 6-8 hours a week of this on basically a permanent basis.

After 8 weeks, start bounding up hills of about 100 meters long; walk down. Build to 12-15 of these repeats once a week; twice if you're feeling peppy. High knee lift and fire off the ground. Exaggerated perfect form. Arms driving. Quick short strides. Hips forward over your feet.

Start doing "strides" as often as you possibly can. Your legs need to learn to run fast. Strides are 60-80 meters done quick, with perfect form and fast leg turnover. Walk back. Do them barefoot on grass if possible. Start with 4-5 and work up to 8-10. Not "sprints" -- but just below.

Forget "speedwork". Running around a track blowing yourself up doing 400 repeats is pointless, dangerous and stupid. You're not trying to squeeze the last 10 seconds per mile out of your 5k time. That's what 400s are for. I did a lot of those last year (under a coach's guidance) and it pushed me backwards and left me sore and tired all the time. I switched coaches after my IM prep schedule would have had me doing 14x400 four weeks before the IM.

Finally -- run a lot. Did I say that already? One year ago, I peaked out at a 7:15 mile, just like you, and ran a 50:00 10k. I'm not fast by any stretch right now, but at least I can run a 44:00 10k, and I can do 5x mile repeats at 7:15. And that is moderately competitive in my AG (40-44).

I'm still frustrated as all hell about how slow I am, but the improvements are showing up. I'm not any faster at the top end (5k is stuck at 21:30), but my "cruising" and "tempo" paces are now closer to my top end. That's endurance, and it only comes with time.

In "Going Long" Friel and Byrn suggest that a novice runner will benefit from running at the Lydiard-type "steady" pace for as much as 5 years before needing "speedwork" to make them faster. I didn't believe that advice a year ago, but I believe it today. All the "speedwork" in the world will not make me any faster. Lots of steady miles, with hills and strides. That's what works for the novice runner, I'm convinced.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with nemesis - the dreaded run [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To run fast you need to run. If your only running 20 miles a week you probably will never drop much below what you are currently doing. It seems most people fear putting in big run miles. It seems that being a faster runner has more advantages than being a faster biker. ie running in the top 15% biking in the top 30% vs the other way. The time gaps as you drop from 15-30% in running are bigger than in cycling. Go long, go hard, go easy but just go running often.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Help with nemesis - the dreaded run [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very Interesting stuff. I thin part of my problem is that I am expecting a lot too soon, but hey we all want to be better. I currently have a long run 8-10 miles on tuesday (my long run which is increasing by 1 mile per week) and at least 2 more "running days" that include tempo and some intervals. I also do some bricks but in those the mileage is slow since it is mainly a bike workout. I really never go to the track (my coach hates it, she is more into grass running than track work) . as to hills, well Im in So Florida so no hill works except for treadmill hills. My total mileage per week is probably in the 15-20 range depending on the week and growing since Im doing a 1/2 IM in October.

I will just continue and the off season will be dedicated to running and some "core" work which Im sure can help. Also as to flexibility, I dont think I have a problem there, Im rather flexible (like in a stretch, I can put my head to muy knees when sitting down with legs straight. I forgot to mention that I have short legs (30" inseam for someone that is 5'10.5") and my cadence usually is in teh 180 range (per minute total foot strikes - 90 per side)

Time to get in the miles.....

Thanks to all.

JJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"as to hills, well Im in So Florida so no hill works except for treadmill hills."

All you need is a highway overpass. You don't need to slog up long hills. Just blast up little short ones a dozen times. Stairs work, too. Just keep your feet moving quick until they slow down. Stop and walk down; do it again. Treadmill hills are ok for "interval work" but you don't need that.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.posetech.com

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very similar situation to me a couple of years ago. I still am nowhere near where I want to be on the run, but I can say that progress has been made. I too am going to dedicate the off-season to running with bike (trainer) and swimming as cross work. With a 1/2M in the Spring as a test.

I also thank those who responded here, you guys are really inspiring to us who seem lost in the plateau. I have become a true believer in the long run, tempo runs, and short hills as previous posters mentioned. This has produced the greatest benefits so far. I can now stay comfortable at a sub 10 pace. One year ago, no way.

I am definitely on the 5-year plan. Came to this conclusion after talking with many in the local running group. No one there who I considered fast (sub 8s in tri, sub 7:30 open), had been running seriously for less than 8 years, with many at +15 years. With that timeframe, some of us relative newbies seem to think we are hitting a plateau which is not the case. Juanjob, we are the same age. Maybe we'll place in our AG some day - say 75-80 - maybe we'll be able to run "fast" by then.

Good luck.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give me some of your swim skills and I'll toss you some of my running times :)
Quote Reply