Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with a frame repare... HELP ME !!! please...
Quote | Reply
Hi all...
A cycling friend of mine has a REALLY nice frame...
7005 Al or maybe 6061... not sure... i will ask him... Its a 56cm frame... its AWESOME!!! it will need paint... but thats fine with me... I will be putting 105/Ultegra on it... This is to replace the commuter blue/silver frame i already have... i will be painting that frame as well... and either building up another bike or selling it... But anyway... He said there is one small problem with it... When we put the rear wheel on the frame and clamped it down with the QR... It was slightly off center... about 3mm from center... It have 23mm tire on it... inflated to 120psi... and it does not rub at all... But it is not perfectly center... Is this ok ? if not... Can it be straightened ? thank you...
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a frame repare... HELP ME !!! please... [Solar + Monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a 100% sure on this but I think steel (alloys) is the only frame material that can be staightened without affecting strength. Aluminum tubes can suffer loss of strength if dented. Is there a visible dent or bend? I'm old school so I'm sure someone on this forum can give a more educated answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a frame repare... HELP ME !!! please... [robc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are no visible anythings...

the frame looks perfect to the eye...

I did a calulation in autocad...

the wheel is aproximately 0.59 degrees turned to the left...

i know its very little... But this little amount turns to be about 3mm at the leading edge of the wheel... still no rub on the chain stay... and there is still a bit of a gap... But just wondering if there is a technique to straightening this out... If not... Can i shim one drop out ? like put a tiny something in the drop out so the wheel goes in one side a tiny bit less then the other... so straighten it out...? i am guessing that is not a good idea...
Quote Reply
Re: Help with a frame repare... HELP ME !!! please... [Solar + Monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a bit of advice from an old guy who has broken more than his share of things trying to "doit myself" take it to a shop, bike shop, machine shop, auto shop, just some one who has the tools and knowledge to figure out what is broke......or put it up on ebay

Jim

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) do not try to straighten Alum yourself. It probably cannot be straightened. If it can you will need an experienced alum bike FRAME mechanic. If it were steel you might be able to do the job yourself.

2) How do you know it is the frame's fault? It could be that the wheel in question is not dished properly or is held to the side w/ washers/spacers as it could be the wrong wheel and needs spacers to shift properly. Or even there could be a bent dropout. Now there are ways to fix all those things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others stated, aluminum probably cannot be fixed. Even if it can be cold-set or bent into positon, it is going to be weakened. I might try looking at with another wheel to be sure it is really bent and not just a wheel-dish issue.
Quote Reply