Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help w/Elite Direto
Quote | Reply
I got a Direto brand new on the cheap. Am having a lot of trouble with the cassette installation. I have an 11 speed 105 cassette on there. The cassette is rocking on the free hub body. Not a ton but enough that I don’t want to put my bike on it and pedal. It wiggles back and forth approximately 5mm. I take it this is not normal?

Any help or advice is appreciated. I’ve contacted Elite but don’t expect much in the way of customer service from them.
Quote Reply
Re: Help w/Elite Direto [nickvox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not normal. Just installed mine last week (also 11spd 105). No extra ring necessary. I did have a wobbly cassette as you describe on my road bike once, but in that case I didn’t install it correctly and the cap ran loose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5mm is huge. That's about the distance of a cog+spacer.

Is the free hub body moving, or is it just the cassette sliding on the freehub?
Quote Reply
Re: Help w/Elite Direto [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was just checking this...the free hub body itself is rocking diagonally. It’s rocking is exaggerated by the cassette. However I’m pretty sure the free hub body shouldn’t move at all laterally/diagonally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 it's a simple fix if it's the free hub body.
1. Remove the bike from the trainer
2. take out the skewer.
3. Insert two 5mm hex wrenches into each side of the axel and tighten
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is only a 5mm key on one side of the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. From the pictures, I can see one on the Drive Side. ...can you tighten it? If so, does that take out the movement in the free hub body?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cranked it down as hard as I could and there is still play.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it reduce play, or is there no difference?

You've got to start going a little deeper here with your problem solving. If the play is in the freehub body, then something is loose. The question is why(?). Is the freehub not tight, or is there something that is impeding you from tightening.

If this was me, My next step would be to remove the cassette and address any issues with the freehub body (including removing and reinstalling the freehub). If there is no visible play, I'd move on to re-installing the cassette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will try this next when I get home from work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the cassette actually loose on the freehub body, or does the whole freehub wobble? If the cassette is loose, try putting another spacer or 2 behind it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help w/Elite Direto [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The freehub body itself seems to be where the problem is. It has some play and when the cassette is installed and torqued it rocks on it slightly. I did put the bike on and pedal a little bit and it was extremely noisy and buzzing.

I bought the trainer to eliminate noise w/the addition of two newborns to the family. It’s louder than my road machine with the big flyweight attached...so not good!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took the freehub body off and put it back on. Seems to have cleared up all the play!

Thanks for your help and encouragement. What are your thoughts on the direto? I’ve literally not had a chance to use it yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love mine. I have had since about January this year. No complaints so far.
G
M
T
Detect languageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu

AfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChichewaChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchFrisianGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianMyanmar (Burmese)NepaliNorwegianPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScots GaelicSerbianSesothoShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu
Text-to-speech function is limited to 200 characters

Options : History : Feedback : DonateClose
Quote Reply