Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help on bike gearing for IM Canada
Quote | Reply
Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

Middle of the pack biker. Average training cadence 85-90.

Have really only done flat triathlon courses so far. Recently been training hills and realized current gearing isn't going to fly for Canada. Current: crankset 53/39, cassette 10-28 10 speed.

I have 50-34 crankset I could put on the TT bike, but unsure what cassette to use with this for the Canada climbing. I have the original Flo wheels so hub is only 10 speed compatible. Trying to do all this on budget so don't really want to buy the 11 speed replacement hub if I could get away using a 10 speed 11-28 cassette with the 50-34 crankset. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Help on bike gearing for IM Canada [kwicks13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kwicks13 wrote:
Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

Middle of the pack biker. Average training cadence 85-90.

Have really only done flat triathlon courses so far. Recently been training hills and realized current gearing isn't going to fly for Canada. Current: crankset 53/39, cassette 10-28 10 speed.

I have 50-34 crankset I could put on the TT bike, but unsure what cassette to use with this for the Canada climbing. I have the original Flo wheels so hub is only 10 speed compatible. Trying to do all this on budget so don't really want to buy the 11 speed replacement hub if I could get away using a 10 speed 11-28 cassette with the 50-34 crankset. Thanks.

MOP rider with a 39x28 should be fine. In my opinion, there is the hill, just as you ride by the golf course (past Yellow Lake) that is a grunt and not talked about much. The two fabled highway passes to get over are long but not obscenely steep. This is a stunning bike course that rewards patience; enjoy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your cassette 10-28 or 11-28?
Quote Reply
Re: Help on bike gearing for IM Canada [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry 11-28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can ride the course on Fulgaz and I'm assuming they offer a free trial. I believe this is the same ride that was originally on Rouvy prior to Fulgaz partnering with Ironman. I have ridden the course IRL and the Rouvy version and found Rouvy to be realistic: https://fulgaz.com/...599851aa40dfb54e6e1b

Good course description: https://pbandjcoaching.com/...bike-course-preview/

Watch the full course in an hour: https://www.youtube.com/...alEW0jNztDw&t=4s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50-34, 11-28 (10 speed) is perfectly fine. Roll with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re good.
Quote Reply
Re: Help on bike gearing for IM Canada [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that i'm good with the 53/39 or switch to the compact crankset? haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good with the 53/39.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kwicks13 wrote:

This depends on fitness really. The one time I did that course back in the day when I was a mid-packer was 53/39, 11-23 ten speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Help on bike gearing for IM Canada [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
kwicks13 wrote:

This depends on fitness really. The one time I did that course back in the day when I was a mid-packer was 53/39, 11-23 ten speed.

When I did Canada, I had 53x39 and an 11-21 (7-speed). As I recall, I never used the 21 tooth cog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the course has 7,000 feet of climbing, so combos like 53-39 / 11-21 for a mop cyclist are what I like to call ‘bad advice.’

Having done just a few races with this kind of climbing, I’ve never left t2 thinking “I sure wish I had fewer gears to choose from during the ride.” Run the 11-28 with the compact. Heck, I’ll lend you a 11-32 to use with the compact if you’d like.
Quote Reply
Re: Help on bike gearing for IM Canada [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
I think the course has 7,000 feet of climbing, so combos like 53-39 / 11-21 for a mop cyclist are what I like to call ‘bad advice.’

Having done just a few races with this kind of climbing, I’ve never left t2 thinking “I sure wish I had fewer gears to choose from during the ride.” Run the 11-28 with the compact. Heck, I’ll lend you a 11-32 to use with the compact if you’d like.

Spin to win is bad advice too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d take you up on the 11-32 if you’re serious haha. Is it a 10 speed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, 10s. Send me a pm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kwicks13 wrote:
I’d take you up on the 11-32 if you’re serious haha. Is it a 10 speed?

You know that would require a new rear derailleur and a new chain, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and by golly that's just what I did!

53/39 up front, 11/36 (yes! 36) out back.

Yes I needed XTR to get there, but soooo worth it on McClean Creek, 1 or 2 of them "bitches" and the mini wall after the gold course.

Regrets... not a 1, and when I get even older - that 53/39 becomes a 50/36.

It is HEAVY however

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New chain probably…new rear derailleur…not necessarily. I have a build with a 10s ultegra mech (6600?) that runs 11-32 sram cassette just fine. Not every shift is perfect but have been running it that way for 8ish years with extremely limited adjustments successfully. There was some b screw messing around I recall. But my cutoff was I was not willing to ru. The b screw backwards like I had read on the internet (either here or Lenard Zinns old velo-news column). I’m pretty sure it’s the SS cage too but I can’t say with any certainty on that. It’s smaller than the cages on my 105 11s bikes (5800).
Quote Reply
Re: Help on bike gearing for IM Canada [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumples wrote:
New chain probably…new rear derailleur…not necessarily. I have a build with a 10s ultegra mech (6600?) that runs 11-32 sram cassette just fine. Not every shift is perfect but have been running it that way for 8ish years with extremely limited adjustments successfully. There was some b screw messing around I recall. But my cutoff was I was not willing to ru. The b screw backwards like I had read on the internet (either here or Lenard Zinns old velo-news column). I’m pretty sure it’s the SS cage too but I can’t say with any certainty on that. It’s smaller than the cages on my 105 11s bikes (5800).

I think the medium cage Shimano would accommodate up to 32. In fact, I just finished running 32 on a short cage ultegra 6700 during a block this winter.

Q about the need for a new chain: if OP was going from a chain that was sized for a 52-39 to a 50-36 compact, shouldn't this give him/her the extra length s/he needs to run the larger rear cassette cogs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You wont need a 32 tooth cassette but the compact 50-34 front will be nice.

Then you don’t need to change your cage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the compact... nice to have the option to spin up the hills. Another consideration is that with the compact you can likely stay in the big ring up some of the smaller climbs and rollers. I just used this at IMMT 70.3 and rode pretty much the entire course in the 50T big ring... well except for the climbing section in the last 20k.
Quote Reply