Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help needed - power meter
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Trying to get my first tri bike ready. One item that confused me a lot is power meter. (I thought I read somewhere I the forum of various review and comparison of available power meter - but I couldn't find it again).

All my road bike are in shimano cleat. Some of my friends are recommending me to favero assioma duo. Which means I have to change my cleat or the pedal everytime I change my bike.

Is there other options?

How about stages crank power meter. Has anyone uses it? Is it good?

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed - power meter [Teddokun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a good overview on the power meters currently on the market:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ter-buyers-2018.html

The article is a little over a year old, but I don't think there's been a ton of change in the PM market in the last year so it's still pretty relevant.
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed - power meter [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Here's a good overview on the power meters currently on the market:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ter-buyers-2018.html

The article is a little over a year old, but I don't think there's been a ton of change in the PM market in the last year so it's still pretty relevant.

Thank you el gato
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pedal based options are great if you are going to want to swap them between all your bikes (eg. road to tri to gravel...). Although you will need different cleats as the shimano cleats don't fit in any of the power pedal options.

If you are only going to have power on your tri bike, I would highly recommend one of the power2max spider based ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the pedal based options.

I do like the stages ones though, mostly because you can send them your cranks and they can do the install, so you don't have to buy new arms. And their turnaround is pretty quick, but I also live fairly close to the HQ
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed - power meter [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
Pedal based options are great if you are going to want to swap them between all your bikes (eg. road to tri to gravel...). Although you will need different cleats as the shimano cleats don't fit in any of the power pedal options.

If you are only going to have power on your tri bike, I would highly recommend one of the power2max spider based ones.

Thx u. I'm pondering if i should move the pedal around or only on tri bike.

Likely i will take the pedal option. As it seems easier to move. But i will need a new shoes, for the cleat. 😁

Thx u once again
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed - power meter [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erik+ wrote:
Agree with the pedal based options.

I do like the stages ones though, mostly because you can send them your cranks and they can do the install, so you don't have to buy new arms. And their turnaround is pretty quick, but I also live fairly close to the HQ

How much would they charge for fixing our crank? That would save me some money, no?

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My quick overview and verdict on the current options out there that I've tried: https://gplama.com/powermeter-guide/

I'm using the XCadey XPOWER-S and Sigeyi AXO spiders at the moment. I'll update my guide once I have enough kms on them to given an informed view.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Powertap P1 pedals for about 3 years now. Swapping from bike to bike is super quick and easy.

Also, you wouldn't need new shoes, just new cleats. Unless your plan is to only use power on one bike, but then pedals lose a lot of their advantage.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
faveros are a solid option. I have them and switch them between tri bike and road bike frequently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Stages it is the Factory install option on their website: https://store.stagescycling.com/Factory-Installed-Power

Select which cranks you have and then find the cost.
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed - power meter [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before you jump into Stages I suggest you read the GP Lama posting regarding Stages accuracy on Shimano cranks. There is a good reason why Stages just recently dumped the price on their power meters.

I suggest pedal based, I have PowerTap P1 and love them. So convenient. Only issue is they are maybe a bit heavy (P2 version is a bit lighter though) and you need to use special PowerTap cleats. Look cleats will certainly work, but are not recommended. Also just be aware that PowerTap insist you must use Lithium AAA batteries or you will invalidate the warranty, these batteries are not always that easy to find in the stores.

If I had to buy some new ones today, I would pass on the Garmins (far too many issues with them) and consider the Favero - I have only read good reviews about them. Plus they can be converted for use with SPD cleats - see the GP Lama YouTube video on how to do this conversion.
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed - power meter [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed about the Stages, specifically its single sided PM.

I am quite unbalanced between left and right, and that imbalance varies depending on the efforts (30/60% when in z2 or less, and 45/55% when riding hard); therefore, Stages' numbers were totally useless for me for the a few years I had them on two of my bikes, and it was a waste of money. I switched to Quarq recently and it has been so much easier to ride with power.
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed - power meter [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with Stages is not only the single sided issue you mention, it is also the fact that they are dependent on certain characteristics in the cranks and it seems that Shimano cranks especially, give Stages and others who measure power using the cranks some significant accuracy issues. Attached is a very detailed review of this issue from GP Lama.

https://gplama.com/...ankset-power-meters/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Teddokun wrote:
Likely i will take the pedal option. As it seems easier to move. But i will need a new shoes, for the cleat.
Here's the short, don't over-think it answer...

1. Do not get a single-sided power meter (unless budget is a huge constraint). Those do not give you accurate total power.
  2. If you want to move your PM between bikes, get Favero Assioma Duo pedals. They are the best. Full stop.
  3. If you have a favorite pedal and bike mobility is not a priority, get a Power2Max crank PM.

Last edited by: exxxviii: Feb 15, 20 8:13
Quote Reply