Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me understand the macros of calories for an Ironman
Quote | Reply
Trying to wrap my head around the insane caloric intake I need for upcoming IMLP. Been working on my fueling during long rides but haven't totally gotten it sorted. I am 250#, so I require between 500-600 calories an hour on the bike I'm assuming. Plan is to start with a 300cal bottle of Tail Wind and continue to drink Gatorade along the way with another bottle of tail wind mixed in special needs. That will make up half of my calories. To make up the balance, trying to take in solids that are mostly carbs requires a ton of eating, where as I can get a quick 200 calories from a Justin's Nut Butter packet. Only problem there is it's all fat and no carbs.

So - knowing that it's a long day and not all of the calories need to be used immediately since we are racing at endurance pace and not full fledged sugar burning, can you intake a portion of calories that are not carb heavy? Or do I need to rethink this and take in all carbs all day long?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand the macros of calories for an Ironman [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long are you going to be on the bike? What's your HR zone going to be? Can you process 500-600 calories an hour, hour on hour at that HR? You need to find out. And it will be different using different products, so experiment a lot. Find out what the most calories of what you can handle is, and there's your plan. If you'll be going at a relatively easy pace, then fine to mix in some fat/protien that's not as easily digestible. But otherwise stick to quick digesting sugars.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand the macros of calories for an Ironman [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried doing the Tailwind/Gatorade combo during your long rides yet? Because for me at least, that would be imminent nuclear disaster in my gut.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand the macros of calories for an Ironman [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been using primarily tail wind with some Gatorade mixed in. Plus Gatorade endurance chews and base bars. So far no stomach issues, but I come up just a tad short on nutrition. Part of it was over drinking water. I think as a heavy sweater part of my feeling crappy at the end of my long ride last weekend (100 mi w 8500’ climbing) was hyponutremia from lack of sodium and too much water. I’ve historically been able to handle solids fine, but my problem is finding a way to get those calories in.

On the ride I average a hr of 150. So that’s not too bad for digestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your timing for your fuel intake on the bike? How often are you taking in the Tailwind/Gatorade? Maybe playing with the caloric contents of the bottle will help keep the hydration level where it needs to be while upping the calories you need.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
Trying to wrap my head around the insane caloric intake I need for upcoming IMLP. Been working on my fueling during long rides but haven't totally gotten it sorted. I am 250#, so I require between 500-600 calories an hour on the bike I'm assuming. Plan is to start with a 300cal bottle of Tail Wind and continue to drink Gatorade along the way with another bottle of tail wind mixed in special needs. That will make up half of my calories. To make up the balance, trying to take in solids that are mostly carbs requires a ton of eating, where as I can get a quick 200 calories from a Justin's Nut Butter packet. Only problem there is it's all fat and no carbs.

So - knowing that it's a long day and not all of the calories need to be used immediately since we are racing at endurance pace and not full fledged sugar burning, can you intake a portion of calories that are not carb heavy? Or do I need to rethink this and take in all carbs all day long?

I'm 6' 2" 173lbs so my calorie intake is a little less than yours. For my IM last year, believe I mixed tailwind and carbo pro to get maybe 250-350 calories per bottle (can't recall exactly). I started with two bottles plus my BTA bottle. 3 bottles in special needs. then I planned on taking in at least 1 gu gel per hour plus had a couple extra clif bars just in case. Turns out my stomach that day was in a good mood and I consumed everything on the bike with no GI issues and was still hungry so I grabbed more at aid stations. I took food when I was hungry and never had GI issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
500-600 is a LOT. you say you assume it, have you tried this out (5 Ish weeks to race day)?

I’ve done IM from 185 to 215-20 and typically take in 300 or so an hour. Infinit, a few gels and a king sized payday basically
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jun 21, 18 13:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe share how you came up with needing 500-600cal/hr. Seems excessive. I find focusing on carb/hr more useful.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand the macros of calories for an Ironman [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe I located a few different calculators that pulled these numbers in based on my weight and what should be consumed per hour. I have been staying between 300-400/hour during my long rides and have felt ok, but I cannot consume nearly that during the run, so I need to be able to store some energy before getting off of the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand the macros of calories for an Ironman [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
What's your timing for your fuel intake on the bike? How often are you taking in the Tailwind/Gatorade? Maybe playing with the caloric contents of the bottle will help keep the hydration level where it needs to be while upping the calories you need.

I'm drinking liquid nutrition every 15-20 minutes and taking a shot of salt every hour on the :45. I eat solids when I feel hungry or feel like I need extra energy. I've been matching my sip of nutrition with a sip of water, mostly because the concentrated nutrition drinks simply make me thirsty!
Quote Reply