Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me understand swim kicking
Quote | Reply
I swam a good bit when I was young but wasn’t anywhere near a team or squad. Since starting swimming for triathlon I’ve made steady improvements through online resources and the Guppy coaching on here.

I have a question re swim kick - when on my front and kicking with a board I’m kicking maybe 1:45 for 50m in a 25m pool without fins (with fins I’m closer to 1minute). I have improved this by about a minute on a year ago, at which time it was so exhausting I had to rest after 25m. It’s still very hard now and my hamstrings feel like they’re going to detach after 4x50m. However, if I swim on my back with arms stretched out above my head I’m quicker, find it easier and don’t get anywhere near the muscular fatigue.

I can imagine this is down to a number of issues - can the good swimmers and swim coaches help me understand this? Or am I just crap at kicking? Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand swim kicking [hiscotsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kicking on your back is getting you better streamlined and you are probably kicking with your hips rather than trying to kick with either a "bicycle kick" or kick with perfectly straight, almost locked knees.

I imagine that kicking with a board on your front, you are "short arming" the board so it isn't far enough out in front of you. That's gonna put more stress on your back and cause you to punch a much bigger hole through the water that you have to swim through.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand swim kicking [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - is this something that is worth rectifying to improve the value of front kick drills? Also - does this mean that kicking 50m on my back is ‘worth less’ than on my front because it’s easier, or can it not be quantified that easily?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is worth fixing since, IMO, improvements that you can make in body position and kicking should carry over to full stroke freestyle. I wouldn't say that kicking on your back is "worth less" though because it is easier, you are simply better at it. I'm a big fan of kicking on your back and on your side, because they reinforce different things with body position, and body position is essential to good swimming.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand swim kicking [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot - appreciate your input on this and other swimming questions. Would holding the very end of the kickboard and stretching it out as far as I can get it in front of me start to flatten me out in the water, as opposed to the ‘short-arming’ you described earlier?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not really about where you hold the board. I prefer to hold it at the front side (the bow, in nautical terms) with forearms resting on it, rather than on the stern like I think you are asking. Its really about making sure you aren't leaning on it, keep your arms out as straight as you can. If you keep the board level with the surface and either at or just below the surface of the water, and when you kick your heels are bubbling the surface with a nice compact kick motion, then your body position is probably pretty decent

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply