Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me understand how to set my cleats?
Quote | Reply
Hi to All-

I recently changed my cycling shoes. Tried to set the cleats on the same angle compared to where they were set on my old shoes, but the outside of my ankle is on fire from riding. It only bothers me a little when I ride, but then when it's time to run it feels like it's burning (probably peroneal tendonitis or something similar).

Here's where I'm confused: To take stress off of the lateral portion of my ankle and foot, then I need to move the cleat inward toward the bike or outward, away from the bike?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand how to set my cleats? [original] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi original,

with a new shoe to copy the "old" cleat position is an option but maybe not the solution .. many things can be different .. shape, layer, stiffness .. from the insole to the uppers to the sole .. have the cleats motion-grades, great .. try the directions that your feet are looking for ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of different things in addition to moving the cleat left/right laterally could be causing the knee strain, biggest thing being how your toe is pointed.

If I can't get my new cleats in the same spot, I'll ride the trainer with my new cleats semi-loose, and move my foot around until I get comfy. Then carefully unclip, and tighten them down. There are other methods, but for the half dozen pairs of shoes I've worn over the years this has worked for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand how to set my cleats? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Lots of different things in addition to moving the cleat left/right laterally could be causing the knee strain, biggest thing being how your toe is pointed.

If I can't get my new cleats in the same spot, I'll ride the trainer with my new cleats semi-loose, and move my foot around until I get comfy. Then carefully unclip, and tighten them down. There are other methods, but for the half dozen pairs of shoes I've worn over the years this has worked for me.

Really like that idea. Not sure why I never thought of it.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you manage to unclip without moving the cleat?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand how to set my cleats? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
How do you manage to unclip without moving the cleat?

A couple of different tricks. 1) don't keep them so loose to where they move without force. 2) I've also had someone help me and tighten a cleat while being clipped in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That makes sense. I was thinking maybe slip the feet out of the shoes, and use a sharpie to trace around the cleat before taking them out of pedals...
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand how to set my cleats? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Firstly, I'd say getting assistance from a good fitter is invaluable as tiny changes to position can make a huge difference. I appreciate this isn't always possible / practical but did want to raise it as even swapping between old and new S-works shoes took a while to get right because the sole shape had changed making measuring the fore/aft hard.

As for setting the angle, then my old hack used to jump on the trainer and ride with the old shoes/cleats, then change to the new ones set pretty close. I use the cleats with a bit of float, and so I can tell which way I'm floating and if I get to the limit of the float. Then stop pedalling, make a slight adjustment, repeat.

It also used to be possible to tighten/loosen cleat bolts through the pedal when clipped in. Been a while since I did that, may only have been the look deltas and with the new power meter pedals etc that may no longer be possible.

But back to the start, the fore/aft is the hardest to get right yourself, although if you have a plumbline then you can do this. Get that first, and then fine tune the angle as the fore/aft will change the angle you need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy Speedplays. Problem solved.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand how to set my cleats? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
How so?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone to contributed to this thread. I truly appreciate your input.

Have a great season!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand how to set my cleats? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

+2 - Speedplay pedals have 'float' so can move a bit side to side. This can also be adjusted on the cleat. Also more aero than other pedal systems.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand how to set my cleats? [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsk wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

How so?

I'm with you... Speedplays are much harder to set than other systems. Especially if you want 0 (or as 0 as Speedplay allows) float.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand how to set my cleats? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

+2 - Speedplay pedals have 'float' so can move a bit side to side. This can also be adjusted on the cleat. Also more aero than other pedal systems.
Other cleat systems also allow float, that's not unique to Speedplay. Float is great for allowing some movement during the pedal stroke if needed (ideally with a perfect fit and perfect biomechanics you wouldn't need it, but things are rarely perfect in the real world). But IMHO float is not a suitable fix for having a poorly aligned cleat.

OP's question was about reproducing correct foot placement relative to the pedal/cleat interface when moving to different shoes. I don't know of any easy answer for this with the pedal systems I've used, so that's why I was curious if Speedplay addressed it.
Quote Reply