Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help me understand Ironman VR...
Quote | Reply
I get the concept. You do workouts and upload the files. What I don’t understand is how you can have rankings when everyone isn’t doing the same course? Is it purely the best times? Because nobody should be doing any hills if it’s best times. Just curious how that works when there’s no set course.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing it for fun and personal challenge. I have no fantasy that it is an equal playing field. It is far too easy to cheat and game the rankings. For example, I could get a friend of mine to do the runs for me, wearing my watch, and I would crush it. Or, I would do a draft fest on the bike. Looking at some of the top times in my AG, I suspect some substantial cheating. I don't care, though. I cannot race, so this is a fun use of weekend training time.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheaters will cheat because they can. If you concern yourself with what others are doing you're the one who will suffer.

Just get on and do what you do the way you do it.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheating wasn’t part of the discussion 😂. I just don’t understand how they can attempt to have rankings without some course standard. Which would be easy to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. At least for the bike, they should open up Rouvy for VR participants and use standard courses, require HR, smart trainer/power. That would help a bit but certainly not eliminate the cheating.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tinman wrote:
Agree. At least for the bike, they should open up Rouvy for VR participants and use standard courses, require HR, smart trainer/power. That would help a bit but certainly not eliminate the cheating.

You’re right. I fully understand cheating in this scenario will never be eliminated. I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about how this is the same as me just doing workouts I already do. What’s the point of VR then? I thought it was to add the element of competition. Which is not what they’ve done. Seems odd.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think its time to troll ironman vr2.

create an account with name "Iam aCheater" and put in ridiculous falsified times used while driving car. 2minutes for 2.5k run, 20min for 40k bike, 3 min for 5k run

would love to see that on the leader board


http://www.coupleofathletes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
tinman wrote:
Agree. At least for the bike, they should open up Rouvy for VR participants and use standard courses, require HR, smart trainer/power. That would help a bit but certainly not eliminate the cheating.

You’re right. I fully understand cheating in this scenario will never be eliminated. I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about how this is the same as me just doing workouts I already do. What’s the point of VR then? I thought it was to add the element of competition. Which is not what they’ve done. Seems odd.

Not sure why they don’t specific a set course or the like on Zwift. Or outside you must do a course that has positive elevation.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
i think its time to troll ironman vr2.

create an account with name "Iam aCheater" and put in ridiculous falsified times used while driving car. 2minutes for 2.5k run, 20min for 40k bike, 3 min for 5k run

would love to see that on the leader board

So everyone in this thread focused on cheating. My point is what’s different about Ironman VR than what’s already out there. You’re not going head to head on a given course. So what’s the point?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
synthetic wrote:
i think its time to troll ironman vr2.

create an account with name "Iam aCheater" and put in ridiculous falsified times used while driving car. 2minutes for 2.5k run, 20min for 40k bike, 3 min for 5k run

would love to see that on the leader board


So everyone in this thread focused on cheating. My point is what’s different about Ironman VR than what’s already out there. You’re not going head to head on a given course. So what’s the point?

i guess thats the thing - the ability to "cheat" is the point. putting aside full on cheating like doing it in the car, you can try finding courses and conditions to give you the best times which brings in some strategy - we know triathletes love seeking out every advantage. this makes it incredibly unfair for anyone living in areas with hilly, rough roads and encourages people to ride places they probably shouldn't, particularly travelling at a time when most recommendations/rules are to stay local.

of course the real point is that it is IM branded, for whatever that might mean to you other than their profits
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My point is what’s different about Ironman VR than what’s already out there. You’re not going head to head on a given course. So what’s the point?"


Some people like to have company when they're training even if it is only virtual company. The whole point it to give those people that need focus, just that focus. Training for training's sake is not usually productive. But training for something provides that sense of purpose, that sense of direction. It's another online community of virtual racing.


So the workouts might not be any different to what you do on your own? Just go ahead and do them in your own bubble. But accept that some people like to be with others. Ironman VR is one such option.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Apr 8, 20 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you have any company if people aren’t on the same course at the same time
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
How do you have any company if people aren’t on the same course at the same time

What exactly don't you understand about people taking part in a virtual event, about people sharing their training virtually, about people training separately but virtually together?

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
triguy86 wrote:
How do you have any company if people aren’t on the same course at the same time


What exactly don't you understand about people taking part in a virtual event, about people sharing their training virtually, about people training separately but virtually together?

essentially you're saying it is a variant on strava - ability to share your workouts and get some social interaction while comparing apples and oranges

i don't really get it either but if it helps get/keep people motivated to exercise then great - different strokes for different folks
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
triguy86 wrote:
How do you have any company if people aren’t on the same course at the same time

What exactly don't you understand about people taking part in a virtual event, about people sharing their training virtually, about people training separately but virtually together?

I was just under the impression that this was some kind of virtual racing platform. But it’s not. It’s a training club. So...it’s Ironman branded Strava.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't entered but I have put some thought into finding the fastest possible course. This adds a new challenge of course design.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya I mean there are no prizes or championship slots so who really cares it's pointless.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At a fairly dark time in history and for some of us the bleakest moments of their live's it gives a chance to push yourself have some sort of race environment, let go of the pain, celebrate what you have and focus on the process rather than the outcome.

This is a good thing, if you worry about the cheaters and all the other little technicalities of why its bad, then triathlon is probably not the best sport for those who worry about that.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since it auto-uploads my files from Strava to Ironman VR, is there a way to select the activity that I want to be used? For example, if I go for a run Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but only want my Sunday run to count towards the race, how does it differentiate?

Blueseventy Racing Team // Nuun Life
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
At a fairly dark time in history and for some of us the bleakest moments of their live's it gives a chance to push yourself have some sort of race environment, let go of the pain, celebrate what you have and focus on the process rather than the outcome.

This is a good thing, if you worry about the cheaters and all the other little technicalities of why its bad, then triathlon is probably not the best sport for those who worry about that.

I agree with everything you say. I was just asking for some info on what I thought was a racing platform. It’s not. Question answered.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [spencer93w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spencer93w wrote:
Since it auto-uploads my files from Strava to Ironman VR, is there a way to select the activity that I want to be used? For example, if I go for a run Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but only want my Sunday run to count towards the race, how does it differentiate?

Lots of things about it that are unclear. Also if I want to do the 40k challenge but I’m doing a 90km ride does that need to be separate workouts?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [spencer93w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it chooses the first one. I ran 13.1 miles Friday easy in 1:51 before the challenge started. I started the challenge Saturday and my bike was the first 33% completed. Then I ran a 5k for 67% complete. Sunday I ran 13.1 miles in 1:31 to complete the Challenge. My results used the first 13.1 miles in 1:51 which was run way before the starting times. I have no idea what happened. Maybe people emailed and complained about the start time so they changed it to start Friday morning which then accepted my first run? Anyway, I can't change it but I can laugh at those results.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
http://www.blueseventy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
No, it chooses the first one. I ran 13.1 miles Friday easy in 1:51 before the challenge started. I started the challenge Saturday and my bike was the first 33% completed. Then I ran a 5k for 67% complete. Sunday I ran 13.1 miles in 1:31 to complete the Challenge. My results used the first 13.1 miles in 1:51 which was run way before the starting times. I have no idea what happened. Maybe people emailed and complained about the start time so they changed it to start Friday morning which then accepted my first run? Anyway, I can't change it but I can laugh at those results.

make sure you are in sync with their time zone start times?
6 pm GMT on Friday, April 10, and 11:59 pm GMT on Sunday, April 12

for me (PST) would be 11am friday - 5pm sunday


http://www.coupleofathletes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tinman wrote:
Agree. At least for the bike, they should open up Rouvy for VR participants and use standard courses, require HR, smart trainer/power. That would help a bit but certainly not eliminate the cheating.

And exclude those of us who don't have Rouvy accounts (and don't want them) but instead prefer to ride outside
Quote Reply
Re: Help me understand Ironman VR... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm EST. I believe it should have started at 2pm. My run was at 12pm on Friday. It's okay though. I was waaaaaaaay down the list regardless of which one they used.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
http://www.blueseventy.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next