Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me plan a February Cycling trip to Tucson Arizona.
Quote | Reply
Alright.

Here is the plan, I want to fly into Phoenix, and then stay somewhere near or in Tucson, VRBO. I will be arriving and leaving on a Saturday.
So I have Sunday to Friday to Ride, I think.
I plan on riding 100-200km a day.
Middle of February.

Let me know your ides on the following:

Accommodations
Rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me plan a February Cycling trip to Tucson Arizona. [TA3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's lots of threads on this so do a search in addition to any advice offered here, bc I was in your position last year. I'm going to tucson for the 2nd time in 4 weeks. Went last year and it was just magical. Wife and I loved it so we going back.

Last year I stayed airbnb on far east side of town for close access to mount lemmon and that's what I'm doing again. Riding isn't the prime purpose for my trip but I do 20 to 60 miles per day. I would love to ride gates pass on west side but I chose to have mount lemmon and saguaro east at my doorstep and I loved it. Saguaro east loop is pure road riding heaven if you ask me. Go early in morning it was almost totally car-less for me, one way loop, twisty, turny, some hills, and gorgeous. I highly recommend. So my 2 recommendations for riding are lemmon and saguaro east.

If I was riding the distances you were and staying on east side, I'd look at doing pistol hill as well as "The Loop".

Not on east side but Some say Kitt peak is best climb around tucson area but the ride to and fro from the city is boring straight kinda dangerous looking highway, but I've seen some on strava who do it. Locals may know better way to do Kitt and can comment of its worth the effort to get there.

Happy travels!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me plan a February Cycling trip to Tucson Arizona. [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, be prepared for cold if you're climbing lemmon. Can be 20+ degrees colder up near the top. Wasn't that bad for me but it snows up there too on occasion.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me plan a February Cycling trip to Tucson Arizona. [TA3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for Saguaro East and Mt Lemmon. The Loop (multi-use path) is useful for getting around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I'd stay as near the middle of town as you can. Presumably you'll also have a car rental, so you can drive to rides if necessary. Beware that anytime you go high, you'll be cold.

Sunday - I'd get things started with an easy "intro to Tucson" ride of the Loop @ ~55mi
Monday - Now that you're "warmed up" I'd do something a little more adventurous. Either head up into Oro Valley and do Rancho Vistoso loop and Dove Mountain, or maybe go and do a tour of the climbs on the west side (A Mountain, Trails End, Sweetwater, etc)
Tuesday - Tuesday Shootout. This is a hard, fast group ride. ~40mi from the center of UA campus.
Wednesday - if you don't do Tuesday Shootout, I'd do Wednesday Worlds. ~50mi from "Le Buzz Cafe" and goes on the east side of town down to Pistol Hill and back
Thursday - Drive to 3 Points and ride Kitt Peak (~55mi w/ 5k ft elevation change, 12mi climb @ 6.5-7%)
Friday - Mt. Lemmon. depends on weather and gear how high you can/wanna go. Real studs go all the way to Ski Valley. I'd park at Le Buzz (~55mi to Summerhaven, ~60mi to Ski Valley, either 6.5k ft elevation or 7.5k ft total)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TA3 wrote:
Alright.

Here is the plan, I want to fly into Phoenix, and then stay somewhere near or in Tucson, VRBO. I will be arriving and leaving on a Saturday.
So I have Sunday to Friday to Ride, I think.
I plan on riding 100-200km a day.
Middle of February.

Let me know your ides on the following:

Accommodations
Rides.

You should have a look at Sag-It Cycling http://www.facebook.com/SagitCycling for top notch route planning and ride support (and drone photography)
Quote Reply
Re: Help me plan a February Cycling trip to Tucson Arizona. [vitalstatistix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sag-it and Jkhayc (the wise and helpful poster above) are one and the same, I second the motion for Sag-It/James.
He knows the area very well and is fun to ride with.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me plan a February Cycling trip to Tucson Arizona. [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome.

Thanks.
Quote Reply