Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me pick my first 140.6
Quote | Reply
I'll start by saying that I am generally a tool and typically gravitate towards the Ironman branded events. Why? Well, because I can easily go on their website, get a list a Ironman races sorted by date and easily pick an event. That being said, I think I am finally ready to take the plunge and go for my first 140.6. Why? I don't know. I used to do endurance MTB racing and miss the long stuff. Plus, for me it is sort of one of those, "Can I finish it?" types of things. I want to prove to myself I can.

So, I need help picking an event. I am based in Southern California. I am currently registered for Oceanside in 2019, but have no plans after that. So, I sort of figured later in the year would be best. (September puts me about 20 weeks after Oceanside). I have a small family of 4 that I would have to consider for costs such as airfare, lodging. I generally prefer warmer over colder weather.

Am I smart to pick later in the year to give myself a 20 week period to transition from 70.3 training to 140.6 training? I'm very focused on getting a PR this year at Oceanside and that is my A race. I do not want to sacrifice any speed there for a 140.6 race.

Races that I am thinking about:
  1. IMFL - Course looks super fast. Maybe one of the easier courses
  2. IMAZ - Closest to home. 4 hour drive and have family in Phoenix. Definitely the cheapest option
  3. IM Cozumel - Looks like a nice tropical place, good for a week long family vacation
  4. IM Canada - Bike course is touted as one of the most difficult, but maybe one of the more scenic events
  5. IM Wisconsin - Course looks pretty good and it's based out of Madison, WI. Our first child is named Madison

Anything I should consider? Should I plan an event closer to Oceanside so that I can take that fitness and just do a 12 week block leading into a 140.6? Are any of those 5 races more respected than others? What are some negatives about some of the races above?

Thanks in advance for your time in helping me to make this tough decision.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my first 140.6 [Pro_Sandbagger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMAZ. for your first IM I would make logistics as simple as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done three of the five events you listed. I did IMAZ in 2012, IMFL in 2010 and 2013, and IMCan in 2013 and 2014.

Whistler is by far the hardest of the three. There's no comparison. Traversing 140.6 miles via swim, bike, and run is not easy no matter the course but Whistler is a far tougher course than AZ, FL, or CZ. The new Whistler bike course is even more difficult from all accounts. It's also the most scenic and my favorite of all the IMs I have done.

The issue with FL is the weather. The swim is always in some kind of jeopardy if bad weather moves in. We dodged a bullet by less than 24 hours in 2013. Had the race been a day earlier they would have canceled the whole race. The weather was awful the day before but was fine race day. I think the next year the swim was canceled, and I think it was canceled again in the last couple of years but I might be wrong. It was cold when I did it in 2010. I think temp range was from 40-60.

AZ is no-brainer from a weather perspective. It's basically a desert so the weather is very predictable. The swim will be cold but relatively calm. Bike is pretty flat with the exception of the last few miles before the turnaround for each lap. Run is flat. I think they got rid of the one hill on the course.

I've been to CZ for vacation but not for the IM but I know a ton of people that have done it. Flattest bike course known to mankind but it can be windy. It will be warm for people coming from the USA. The latest swim course is a point-to-point swim with the current so an easy swim.

I know next to nothing about Wisc except it's harder than the three flat courses but not nearly as bad as Whistler.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my first 140.6 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2014 is the only time in 20 years that the IMFL swim was canx. But the IM70.3 Gulf Coast (May) swim was canx a couple of times in the last few years and some people have confused the 70.3 swim history with IMFL since they are both at Panama City Beach.

I've done IMFL, IMAZ and IMCOZ on your list. For logistics on a first IM I would recommend IMAZ. But more important than logistics should be doing the race that you WANT to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my first 140.6 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I've done three of the five events you listed. I did IMAZ in 2012, IMFL in 2010 and 2013, and IMCan in 2013 and 2014.

Whistler is by far the hardest of the three. There's no comparison. Traversing 140.6 miles via swim, bike, and run is not easy no matter the course but Whistler is a far tougher course than AZ, FL, or CZ. The new Whistler bike course is even more difficult from all accounts. It's also the most scenic and my favorite of all the IMs I have done.

The issue with FL is the weather. The swim is always in some kind of jeopardy if bad weather moves in. We dodged a bullet by less than 24 hours in 2013. Had the race been a day earlier they would have canceled the whole race. The weather was awful the day before but was fine race day. I think the next year the swim was canceled, and I think it was canceled again in the last couple of years but I might be wrong. It was cold when I did it in 2010. I think temp range was from 40-60.

AZ is no-brainer from a weather perspective. It's basically a desert so the weather is very predictable. The swim will be cold but relatively calm. Bike is pretty flat with the exception of the last few miles before the turnaround for each lap. Run is flat. I think they got rid of the one hill on the course.

I've been to CZ for vacation but not for the IM but I know a ton of people that have done it. Flattest bike course known to mankind but it can be windy. It will be warm for people coming from the USA. The latest swim course is a point-to-point swim with the current so an easy swim.

I know next to nothing about Wisc except it's harder than the three flat courses but not nearly as bad as Whistler.

19 years of IM Florida and 1 swim cancellation.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Embrunman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For your first, choose a race with the fewest variables as possible. You want as many things in your control as possible. Less stress better race.

Consider the course.

From your options I've done IMCOZ and IMAZ. Both are great courses.

IMCOZ is beautiful and flat and everything was great. The swim is awesome because it is so clear but the currents can be tough. It wasn't wetsuit legal so no help with buoyancy. The backside of the island gets windy especially the longer you are on the bike course. The run is great and the fanfare is second to none. The drawback is that the T1 and T2 are not in the same place. So your family would have to figure out logistics. It's not difficult but just something to consider. Not sure how old the kids are but might be tough if they are young.

IMAZ is a good course too. The swim is protected so that is nice. The water is in the mid 60s so wetsuit for sure. The bike course is out and back with a gradual hill out and steepish one at the turn around but also a steepish down on the way back. The run is well supported with fanfare but there are a few dark spots. Overall it is a good course. Another bonus is that the Start, T1, T2 and the Finish are all in the same spot which helps with spectating.

Pre Race Food/Fueling

The one thing that concerned me about doing IMCOZ was food and fueling the few days leading up to the race. Being in a foreign country and your first IM you really don't want to chance anything. You have all-inclusive resorts or local restaurants. Being in a foreign country things are just a bit different. Post race authentic tacos all week was AWESOME!

Transportation

If you chose IMAZ I would assume you would drive and have your bike with you. You wouldn't have to worry about checking your bike with the airlines or giving it up 3 weeks before the race if you used Tri Bike transport.

With all this being said I would chose IMAZ if I were you. There are a lot more things in your control than the other races. Especially when you consider you have family in Phoenix. Best of luck with your decision and training. I hope Mike Reilly calls your name!
Last edited by: zcruisers: Sep 26, 18 7:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only done IMFL.

People say the course is easy and it is easy... on paper. While the bike and run are extremely flat, weather can play a big role. You could be dealing with 20-25 mph winds on the bike and not the easiest swim. Be ready to ride in aero the whole time. Most folks aren't prepared for this and end up on their base bars for the last 20-30 miles.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Canada, Florida, and Cozumel. Totally depends on what you're looking for in a race.

Amazing swim? Cozumel hands down
The ultimate challenge? Canada. Brutal bike. My slowest of 4 IM's but probably my proudest / hardest earned.
Fast course? Florida or Arizona. Both have fast reputations. Florida has been my fastest to date.
Easy logistics? Arizona
Vacation getaway? Cozumel or Canada. We loved Canada. One of my favorite vacation venues ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ive only done IMMT, but twice. why? because its a drivable race for me (only IMLP and IMMD are closer to me in CT) and my family LOVES it. they keep wanting to go back. its a gorgeous venue that's very well supported by the locals. my family was able to see me at swim exit / t1, turn at the bike, bike exit/t2 turn at the run and finish. all with restaurants and activities to keep them entertained during my long day out there. as mentioned before, it IS a foreign country but found anything I needed there, even if it was just a French version of the label.

with the choices you made, id suggest IMAZ given that its a quick drive for you and if you want, you could head out there to check the course out in advance of the race. tempe/phoenix has stuff to do if in town for more than 3-4 days. I do recommend IMMT but not sure you're looking to travel. its a 90 minute drive from Montreal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered Ironman Santa Rosa?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would be wise to choose based on your strengths. Strong cyclist? WI, weak cyclist, good runner, FL or AZ. Personally I found FL much more enjoyable as far as both the area as well as the course.

Start by finding your strengths and go from there. I would assume you're a strong cyclist, so Madison would definitely play into your strengths, also good travel options, and incredible support on all 3 legs of the race so you will always have a pick me up. For AZ hard far too much cement for my legs to feel sharp, Loved Florida but in the park it can feel very remote (if you feel in need of support from spectators).
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my first 140.6 [ACook1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACook1 wrote:

Beat me to it.

Only a month after oceanside...

Boulder an option in june
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did AZ as my first IM, a couple things I didn't consider when I signed up were: 1) most of my training partners had already finished their seasons by late September so I was doing everything solo for a couple months; 2) less daylight in the fall meant indoors rides a lot of the time (which I do not enjoy, maybe you do); 3) long rides in colder weather, probably not an issue for you being in SoCal.

It was nice going to AZ in the fall but I probably would pick a different race if I gave it some more thought, something in the late July to early September timeframe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can speak to Whistler (140.6) and Cozumel (70.3).

Cozumel has a beautiful swim, you feel like you are snorkeling the water is so clear. It is not wetsuit legal but the salt water helps some with buoyancy if you are used to fresh water swims. The bike is flat and deserted for a good portion of the ride (all up the east coast there is almost no development). LOTS of draft packs. This may have been compounded by a uncharacteristically low-wind day, or because the 70.3 is off the bike a lot earlier than the 140.6 race would be. The Run was suffocating with very high heat and humidity, no shade running along pavement (maybe less of a problem for 140.6 depending on when you start running?); but it was very flat and well supported. Aid stations every km.

Whistler has a beautiful fresh water wetsuit legal* (very close this year) swim. The bike is tough with lots of climbing and can get hot and windy or can be wet and cold; I saw little to no drafting as the hills break up any packs that start to form. The run is rolling hills with about 10km of packed gravel and the rest being on asphalt paths. It has a good amount of shade, about 40-50% of the course? The scenery on the run (and the whole course) is amazing; gorgeous mountain setting.

Logistics to Whistler were very easy for me (Live in Vancouver) however it is about 1.5hr drive from Vancouver Airport. Whistler has many logging options (hotels, airbnbs, etc). Cozumel was good but you may want to consider TBT or equivalent for bike transport. To get to Cozumel you can fly in or take the ferry. We took the ferry which is walk on only and had to drag my luggage and bike bag quite a ways. Options for lodging are less diverse in Cozumel (all-inclusives and some non-chain hotels)

In terms of respect, I'd give the nod to Ironman Canada. Could be local bias but it has a long history (albiet, mostly in Penticton) and is one of the last "tough" courses. That said, every Ironman is a great feat with it's own unique challenges.

TL;DR
Cozumel if you can handle the heat and want a fast course. Canada (Whistler) if you are a strong cyclist who hates seeing draft packs and are more concerned with logistics.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my first 140.6 [zcruisers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you've convinced me to do IMAZ. If I want to have a vacation, I don't want to have to worry about different food or staying off my legs so I can be rested. If I want a tropical vacation, I should go on vacation.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my first 140.6 [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
ACook1 wrote:

Beat me to it.

Only a month after oceanside...

Boulder an option in june

I did not really consider Santa Rosa because it is only a week after Oceanside. I don't want to sacrifice my performance at Oceanside, so I likely wont do many rides over 3-3.5 hours and no runs over 12-13 miles prior to Oceanside. I'll also likely take at least 3-4 days completely off after Oceanside. I believe that only gives me about 4 weeks to prepare for the full IM, which might not be enough time for me to feel confident that I can pace and fuel properly going into the full distance.

I did consider Boulder a little bit, that gives me 8-9 weeks between, which will allow for a couple long weekends to practice pacing/fueling. My only concern is that the race is primarily around 5200ft elevation. I live at around 2k ft and the extra 3000 ft in elevation will definitely slow me down. I do have relatives that live in the local mountians at around 5500ft, so I could spend weekends up there training, which might limit the altitude effect. Do you think 8-9 weeks of training after a 70.3 will be enough to prep me for the 140.6? My time available to train is likely going to remain constant for the next year (no kids coming, stable job).
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my first 140.6 [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hobbyjogger wrote:
I did AZ as my first IM, a couple things I didn't consider when I signed up were: 1) most of my training partners had already finished their seasons by late September so I was doing everything solo for a couple months; 2) less daylight in the fall meant indoors rides a lot of the time (which I do not enjoy, maybe you do); 3) long rides in colder weather, probably not an issue for you being in SoCal.

It was nice going to AZ in the fall but I probably would pick a different race if I gave it some more thought, something in the late July to early September timeframe.

I agree with that. I would add to that that if one has been geared up for an early season race by the time November rolls around it is a long season.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pro_Sandbagger wrote:
I did not really consider Santa Rosa because it is only a week after Oceanside. I don't want to sacrifice my performance at Oceanside, so I likely wont do many rides over 3-3.5 hours and no runs over 12-13 miles prior to Oceanside. I'll also likely take at least 3-4 days completely off after Oceanside. I believe that only gives me about 4 weeks to prepare for the full IM, which might not be enough time for me to feel confident that I can pace and fuel properly going into the full distance.

I did consider Boulder a little bit, that gives me 8-9 weeks between, which will allow for a couple long weekends to practice pacing/fueling. My only concern is that the race is primarily around 5200ft elevation. I live at around 2k ft and the extra 3000 ft in elevation will definitely slow me down. I do have relatives that live in the local mountians at around 5500ft, so I could spend weekends up there training, which might limit the altitude effect. Do you think 8-9 weeks of training after a 70.3 will be enough to prep me for the 140.6? My time available to train is likely going to remain constant for the next year (no kids coming, stable job).

4-6 weeks is great timing for a half before a full, so I wouldn't discount Santa Rosa too quickly. You can still get in 1-2 big weekends starting a week after Oceanside (you will have some fatigue but that is fine). One advantage is getting two races for the same training block, in case one doesn't go as planned. You would still have the option of another race later in the year.

The question is how that would affect Oceanside, if that is your biggest priority. You would be sacrificing some intensity for volume, but the volume may help more than you think. I've had my best "half" results when training for "full" races, with the half 4-6 weeks before.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my first 140.6 [BabaBooey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BabaBooey wrote:
ive only done IMMT, but twice. why? because its a drivable race for me (only IMLP and IMMD are closer to me in CT) and my family LOVES it. they keep wanting to go back. its a gorgeous venue that's very well supported by the locals. my family was able to see me at swim exit / t1, turn at the bike, bike exit/t2 turn at the run and finish. all with restaurants and activities to keep them entertained during my long day out there. as mentioned before, it IS a foreign country but found anything I needed there, even if it was just a French version of the label.

with the choices you made, id suggest IMAZ given that its a quick drive for you and if you want, you could head out there to check the course out in advance of the race. tempe/phoenix has stuff to do if in town for more than 3-4 days. I do recommend IMMT but not sure you're looking to travel. its a 90 minute drive from Montreal.

This right here - I've only done IMMT - twice. My family Loves it and there is so much to do there. The course is gorgeous and challenging.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my first 140.6 [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AZ sounds easier logistically for your family. That should always come first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arizona or Madison.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my first 140.6 [alexanderzlenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexanderzlenz wrote:
BabaBooey wrote:

This right here - I've only done IMMT - twice. My family Loves it and there is so much to do there. The course is gorgeous and challenging.

Glad to hear this. I am racing IMMT in 2019 and am very excited about what everyone has to say about the area and course.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my first 140.6 [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike_w wrote:
Pro_Sandbagger wrote:

4-6 weeks is great timing for a half before a full, so I wouldn't discount Santa Rosa too quickly. You can still get in 1-2 big weekends starting a week after Oceanside (you will have some fatigue but that is fine). One advantage is getting two races for the same training block, in case one doesn't go as planned. You would still have the option of another race later in the year.

The question is how that would affect Oceanside, if that is your biggest priority. You would be sacrificing some intensity for volume, but the volume may help more than you think. I've had my best "half" results when training for "full" races, with the half 4-6 weeks before.

Do Santa Rosa...I will be there. What more do you need?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick my first 140.6 [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on all the feedback here, I went ahead and signed up for IMAZ.

Thanks again for all the feedback. It really helped take a lot of the stress of decision making away from me.
Quote Reply