Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me pick a wetsuit for an Olympic...
Quote | Reply
I’m doing an Olympic in water that will be around 65 degrees. I don’t need to make a choice based on water temp being uncomfortable—I could handle that without a wetsuit. Assume no wetsuit peelers will be present. I am a strong swimmer by triathlon standards, although not an elite college-level swimmer (I.e., my position is helped somewhat by a wetsuit). Should I:

1. Use a regular sleeved wetsuit.
Advantage: fastest in the water
Disadvantage: longer transition time

2. Use a sleeveless wetsuit
Advantage: slightly faster transition
Disadvantage: slightly slower in water

3. No wetsuit
Advantage: no wasted transition time
Disadvantage: significantly slower

4. Use SIM shorts. Never seen anyone do this in a race.
Advantage: a lot of the buoyancy advantage of a wetsuit. Very fast transition.
Disadvantage: loss of the textile advantage of full body neoprene

Bottom line: it really comes down to how fast transitions are for me. I’m not lightning quick at getting the wetsuit off.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a wetsuit for an Olympic... [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is only 1 option if you care about your time:
Quote:
1. Use a regular sleeved wetsuit.
Advantage: fastest in the water
Disadvantage: longer transition time

there is no reason a full sleeved wetsuit should take any extra T1 time than a sleeveless. before you are even out of the water you should be reaching for the zipper (assuming there is not a staircase exit) and have your suit around your waist by the time you get to your bike. if thats not the case you need to practice it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you start peeling off the long sleeve wetsuit while running from the swim exit to your bike, I think there is no difference in transition time between 1 and 2, so if:

swim time + full wetsuit transition time < swim time + transition time (no wetsuit), then option 1 would be the fastest given your parameters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely a wetsuit the only question is which type of swimmer you are. For me, for an Olympic, I would definitely go sleeveless at that temp given the effort level required. I would love to see a large study of athletes do tests in sleeveless for sleeved but NOT just looking at the swim time. Look at their overall time and in relation to some sort of predicted bike/run. I believe a bunch wetsuit athletes nuked their race at Chattanooga a few years back with dehydration in the swim and then never able to right the ship. But it is all going to depend on you, your body, type and how much heat you generate and can't shed. An easy litmus test is if you ever feel like you need to flush the wetsuit then you would have likely been better in a sleeveless.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gone to a Synergy two piece wet suit. I can have both the top and bottom off in under 10 seconds. The top is sleeveless. Taking the top off on the run, from the water to T1, leaves just the bottoms, which I can have off in 3-4 seconds. I also have a pair of TYR arm sleeves, if temperature is an issue, but so far, have not used them in a race.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply