Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me out of trouble
Quote | Reply
Hi there

I have a huge problem: Limited amounts of money but extreme lust to invest some of it in my hobby. My problem is what to choose:

I have a road geometry racebike and want to buy either

a. a corima discwheel , used but in good conditions, instead of my rear racewheel (American Classic 420 semideep rim with 24 bladed sapim X-rays

b. an integrated aerobar , HED, Oval or something like that,instead of my dropbar/STI/profile carbon stryke setup

Which one would you choose.

Or anything third? And no (!) There is no way I can get Powercranks here in Denmark :-)

What gives me most benefits and joy?

Thanks for your help.

Martin
Quote Reply
Re: Help me out of trouble [kreutzer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you already have the aerobar set up (mounted) and it fits you, go with the upgraded wheels. If the aerobars have you set up too high, get the integrated. Body position, no doubt gives you the best benefit both in power and in aerodynamics

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me out of trouble [blinky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I think the fit is ok. Even though sometimes I think it would be nice to have barendshifters.

Just some more info on my case: I´m racing mostly duathlons (20-30 miles) averaging speeds around 23-24 mph. The courses are mostly flat with no hills longer than 1 mile. Does that influence on anything? I´m thinking mostly on the weightpenalty of the disc (+300 grams).

Regards

Martin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The integrated aerobars are designed for tri geometry bikes so you may find yourself a bit too stretched out on them since you are on a road geometry bike. According to the Vision Tech site this set up will save you about 30 seconds over 40 kms over drop bar/bull horn with clip-ons.

According to Jim Martin's site on bicycle aerodynamics, a disc combined with a decent front aero wheel will save you over a minute over 40 kms.

You'll get a better time saving with the disc and not have to worry about comfort/fitting problems. Personally, I'd go with the disc and then get yourself a set of good shorty aero bars such as Profile Jammer GT's, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's flat, don't worry about weight, unless the course is very technical (i.e. a lot of turns). As for saving that much time with a disk, that's probably in comparison to a 32 spoke box rim. What are the wheels that you have now like? Shape, material, spoke count? I ride with an integrated aerobar on a roadbike (Giant) and I'm not too stretched out, however my seat is on the edge of the rails.

This is what I'd say: If the bike fits fine and you can get a flat back and optimal power from your set up now, then don't bother changing it. If your wheels are aero (like 30mm+ and 20spoke) don't really worry that much about the wheels. Save your cash.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The courses are mostly flat "

Flat in in Denmark? You must be kidding? A Norwegian once told me of a popular Norwegian joke about Denmark's flatness. A bus is driving thru Denmark with a group of foreign tourists. The bus driver then announces to the tourists that they are approaching the highest point in Denmark. All of a sudden the bus goes "bump" as it drives over a ridge in the road.

Bad joke I know. But blame the Norwegians not me. I'm just the messanger.

Another possibility with the integrated aerobar is to buy one size smaller than normal to be sure that you don't feel too stretched out on a road geometry. I did this with a Syntace C2 clip-on on a Giant TCR and it worked well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given that you already own a decent set of race wheels and a pretty nice front end, I'd suggest getting a PowerTap and putting the $ into developing your engine. It ain't bolt-on speed, but it is speed and efficiency that will transfer to any bike you ride, and will help your run if you use the PT to monitor your workload while on the bike.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines Enzo Ferrari

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me out of trouble [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines Enzo Ferrari"

How times have changed. Consider that Williams built a new wind tunnel last year that cost them a cool 25 million or something.

But that statement does have some merit. Did a sprint tri in August where a guy showed up with an ancient 12 sp complete with downtube shifters and no aero bars. He set the 12th fastest bike split out of about 325 competitors. I beat him out of the water and my bike time was in the top 25%, but here I am, down on my aero bars, disc on back, and this guy passes me like I'm standing still. Would have made Enzo proud. This guy was the human equivalent of the 12 cylinder Ferrari engine.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me out of trouble [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually I think there are more hills in Denmark than most people think. Our highest point is about 180 meters over sea level and we have no long climbs, but half of the country is full of rolling hills. I even heard some germans rage over the hilly bike course at the long distance European championchip in Denmark, because it was supposed to be flat but showed up filled with "bumps".

anyway, I´m really not sure wether I should save my money and leave the disc-wheel and even stay happy with my Pigg-Power lookalike cut of drop bar solution. And maybe invest in some decent indoor trainer for the wet and cold danish winter. Problem is i hate indoor cycling and love to be outdoors.

hmmmm, guess I´m going to have some sleepless nights :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Problem is i hate indoor cycling and love to be outdoors."

I can relate to that. Riding an indoor trainer over our cold Canadian winter is about as exciting as watching paint dry on the wall. I'd rather go X-country skiing.
Quote Reply