Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
Is ceramic more aero? First time I hear this.

Isn't OP looking to build the fastest possible bike, not just the most aero?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [Allanhov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's actually your goal? is your goal to promote your "project" / yourself? then what you're doing is a valid step in that process, i suppose. if your goal is to actually become the "fastest triathlete on earth" you're probably going to have to stop doing Norseman.

on a more serious note, your position looks pretty severely reach-limited, and you're on a QR PR so you don't have many options unless you can get your hands on their new stem. so the bike isn't really going to get much faster, because you are not going to get much faster.

also interesting that you only tested out to 5. what are your normal race speeds and wind conditions?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Proving speed play aero pedals are faster than regular speed play pedals. Not necessarily faster than his current pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve read how difficult it is to do comparisons across systems because of stack height differences requiring seat adjustments and maybe fore/aft movement of the cockpit.

Aerocoach did a cfd as well if I recall on the speedplay aero.

Finding an aero shoe with four bolt attachment and running speedplay aero should be a pretty accepted practice.

The P1’s are the worst aero pedal I’ve read somewhere on this forum they can be as bad as a 10w penalty over a traditional pedal. The Faveros are better, but they are not as low profile as the Vector 3s. So my guess and it’s just a guess is you would get a bigger bump going from Favero to Speedplay aero than EROs study shows.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the whole maybe but I was asked which bike would be faster and there’s a long list before any bike made by QR would be considered. Maybe people in general like the bike. I can agree with that but as the fastest bike for a top level athlete definitely not.

If you had your choice to have the fastest bike and be the fastest triathlete ever which would be your choice? It certainly wouldn’t be a QR you can admit that much.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [Allanhov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fast and fastest ever are two different things as you know. The fastest frames tend the be fastest independent of rider so maybe you could switch frames and compare that to current results and you’ll have your answer. If you’re truly on a quest to be the fastest triathlete ever that would be where I’d start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allanhov wrote:
desert dude wrote:
What yaw sweep did you test out to?

It may help lower your drag #s if you move your elbows further forward.

Only 5 degrees yaw. The second picture is close to how the position ended. The third is the baseline. We tried elbows in, rasing the bar step by step up to praying mantis.

If you want to PM or email me your run list I can look at it and make suggestions for the next time you're heading back to test. You didn't mention if you tried sliding the elbow pads forward 5mm or even 1cm. That would be one suggestion especially if you've got pretty good ROM through the shoulders. IDK if your current set up is reach limited or not. You may need the new longer) QR stem to slide forward that far.

Did you test helmets? Did you test that helmet plugged vs unplugged and shield vs sunglasses? I'm assuming so, but if not there could be as much as 10w right there.

I may also test out to -7.5 yaw if it were me. Although I don't know your avg speeds when you race so maybe -5 is good.

IDK if you've got someone helping you with the testing or not. By helping I mean going over what you want to accomplish before you get into the tunnel, your goals for that session etc. If not LMK and we can skype before you test next time so you've got an outline of what you want to test, what needs to be tested before or after what etc so you're maximizing your time in the tunnel.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [mbecks2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbecks2 wrote:
On the whole maybe but I was asked which bike would be faster and there’s a long list before any bike made by QR would be considered. Maybe people in general like the bike. I can agree with that but as the fastest bike for a top level athlete definitely not.

If you had your choice to have the fastest bike and be the fastest triathlete ever which would be your choice? It certainly wouldn’t be a QR you can admit that much.

We get it, you don't like QR.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
You wanted to make the worlds fastest triathlon bike but sounds like your already making compromises with pedals. Also If you want the fastest bike you would prob want to switch frames, I like the QR frame but a p5x, P5 or SC I believe all have tested fasterer. Maybe your header is misleading “help me make the fastest triathlon bike ever” your more asking help me optimize my current set up given my set preferences.

Quoted for truth. OP wants to make worlds fastest bike, but is willing to compromise. I'd love to see a project where the person starts from the ground up: pick a frame, etc. based solely on performance. I'd hate to see what it would cost though. I also doubt you could get ST to actually agree on pretty much anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I apologize for not being clear enough about the project. My goal is to become the most aerodynamic triathlete on earth (adjusted for being 181 cm), and I choose both frame and equipment without being sponsored (now I am a QR ambassador).

The reason for choosing QR PRsix was the disc brakes with the P5X as the only other option since BMC could not deliver in time. I went for QR due to lighter weight and ease of traveling. The reason for choosing disc brakes is that super fast and dangerous downhills in Norseman were you can reach the speed of 100km/h. It will also enable much faster and safer technical riding all over.

Compromises are unavoidable. I want to keep my power pedals as I travel regularly without my bike and train in other bikes using the same pedals. Moving to Vector 3 might be an option if they were more aerodynamic, but I do not want to go back to crank based power meters.

Vittoria speed is the fastest but also very fragile. A friend of mine blew this tire going downhill on the Norseman course and I opted for Corsa G+ instead this year.

Being able to ride the position for 180km is also a requirement since that is what I am going to do.

My reason for making this post was to get good advices from knowledgeable people. I do not need to promote anything

Btw, my lowest Cda was 0,1748, so it cannot be all bad.

http://www.triallan.com
Ambassador of:
Quintana Roo - https://quintanarootri.com
Bioracer
Precision Fuel & Hydration
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [mbecks2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbecks2 wrote:
The fastest frames tend the be fastest independent of rider

more things that are not true
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Frame: Quintana Roo PRSix Disc in size 52Aerobar: Morf-Tech TriFoldSeat: Specialized SiteroGear: Sram EtapBrakes: Sram Hydraulic disc brakesCrankset: Praxis Zayante 170mm carbon crank with Praxis Cold Forged X-Rings with 53/39tWheels: Enve 7.8 SES Disc Tubeless front and rear + a Roval 321 Disc wheel comingTires: Schwalbe Pro One TubelessBottle frame: Xlab Aero TTPedals: Assioma Duo Power pedals

What's the total cost of all that little lot then??

About $20.000

Ambassador of:
Bioracer
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcohen24 wrote:
I don't see your shoes listed... And the pictures look too be velcro
I got 5ish watts moving to laces (like many in this forum)

Also how did you decide on schwalbe tires If you are only looking for pure speed, don't the Vitoria basically blow everyone away?

(or gp tt if you don't want it to fall apart when you look at it?)

Also, when I was speaking to one of the vision guys at kona (I was cheering, not racing), I heard some pretty cool stuff in the metron aero crankset .. Not sure if anyone has tested in real life but dollar not an object, id test that

Ps.. Also saw a handful of watts from speedplay aero pedals fwiw

I use LG Tri 400 and happily take advice on more aero alternatives.

Ambassador of:
Bioracer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mbecks2 wrote:
Anything but a shitty QR

a QR lol what a mess

What's wrong w/ QR? Serious question as I was looking at the PR5disc vs some other bikes.

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giro empire slx with elastic laces are popular on this board.
I race in Giro prolights (but no flying mount with them)

Abs I think Scott just released a boa version with the boa on the heel and a clean front (but haven't tested)
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
You wanted to make the worlds fastest triathlon bike but sounds like your already making compromises with pedals. Also If you want the fastest bike you would prob want to switch frames, I like the QR frame but a p5x, P5 or SC I believe all have tested fasterer. Maybe your header is misleading “help me make the fastest triathlon bike ever” your more asking help me optimize my current set up given my set preferences.

Quoted for truth. OP wants to make worlds fastest bike, but is willing to compromise. I'd love to see a project where the person starts from the ground up: pick a frame, etc. based solely on performance. I'd hate to see what it would cost though. I also doubt you could get ST to actually agree on pretty much anything.

There a defentaly quite a few people here on ST (and in this thread) that have done exactly this, and it can def be done for under 15k.

This build is already compromised but: fit should probably be tweaked (Brian Stover could probably help with that), pedals should be changed, disc wheel added, no bottles on inside of frame triangle, helmet choice should possibly be adjusted and re tested with and without visor.

Sorry if I sound like I am now trolling this but lets call this thread: “optimize my setup” rather then “....worlds fastest triathlon bike...” since this in not the worlds fastest triathlon bike.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe it wasn't fully clear to everyone in his first post. He has clarified it now. He is looking to the most aero possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rim brakes?

Last edited by: M----n: Nov 25, 18 8:33
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
Rim brakes?

Cannot be that hard to convert 😉

Ambassador of:
Bioracer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good answer to the question
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allanhov wrote:
I apologize for not being clear enough about the project. My goal is to become the most aerodynamic triathlete on earth (adjusted for being 181 cm), and I choose both frame and equipment without being sponsored (now I am a QR ambassador).

The reason for choosing QR PRsix was the disc brakes with the P5X as the only other option since BMC could not deliver in time. I went for QR due to lighter weight and ease of traveling. The reason for choosing disc brakes is that super fast and dangerous downhills in Norseman were you can reach the speed of 100km/h. It will also enable much faster and safer technical riding all over.

Compromises are unavoidable. I want to keep my power pedals as I travel regularly without my bike and train in other bikes using the same pedals. Moving to Vector 3 might be an option if they were more aerodynamic, but I do not want to go back to crank based power meters.

Vittoria speed is the fastest but also very fragile. A friend of mine blew this tire going downhill on the Norseman course and I opted for Corsa G+ instead this year.

Being able to ride the position for 180km is also a requirement since that is what I am going to do.

My reason for making this post was to get good advices from knowledgeable people. I do not need to promote anything

Btw, my lowest Cda was 0,1748, so it cannot be all bad.

If your goal is to be the most aero on earth, you can't make compromises. The P5x is the fastest bike on the planet. So just with the bike choice, you have already left time on the table. You may be able to get pretty aero with the QR but it's not going to get you to be the most aero on earth.

So do you want to be the most aero on earth or do you just want to optimize your QR to be as aero as possible? They are mutually exclusive.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make the worlds fastest triathlon bike even better [frebay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frebay wrote:
mbecks2 wrote:
Anything but a shitty QR

a QR lol what a mess

What's wrong w/ QR? Serious question as I was looking at the PR5disc vs some other bikes.

The bike is totally acceptable for most triathletes, it just isn't the fastest bike out there. The QR people will even tell you so much in their presentations, instead focusing on qualities about bikes that the "crowd" can benefit from. At the end of the day if you like the QR then go for it, but in a thread with such a hyperbolic title it has not place an is akin to an oxymoron in language when talking about building the fastest triathlon bike.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fwiw, I can't take this post seriously with things like "xlab aero tt bottle" or a valve extender that is way way too long, a helmet strap that is twisted presenting far more surface area to the wind, a bulky tri shoe with straps, a QR PRSIX, disc brakes. I like the project, and the idea, and the transparency (if it comes), but there should be no sacred cows so if you are serious about building the fastest bike get a Cervelo P5 and paint it with either a QR logo or put different partner as the paint job like Morf-Tech.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait...are you wanting the fastest bike or are you wanting to save money or fulfill your preferences??? you discarded advice in the name of your preferences and đŸ’”
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 25, 18 9:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to change your front wheel is you’re dead-set on discs. Either the Roval CLX 64 or 50 depending on how deep you’re willing to go.

What tunnel did you test at? Just like any measurement device, the tunnel you tested at might be repeatable but not accurate. The cda it spit out for you is fairly meaningless unless validated elsewhere.

I agree with the others here: you need to change the thread title.
Quote Reply

Prev Next