Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages
Quote | Reply
I have read the DC Rainmaker reviews and recommendations and it seems a bit of a wash between the Stages dual and the Quark Dzero platform. You can currently get Stages at 30% off ($699 with Ultegra Crankset) and the Quark at 50% off ($590 with the carbon crankset but no rings). I like my Ultegra R8000 Crankset. It was super easy to fit and plays well with my Di2 setup. I can get the Dfour91 version of the Quark which will take the R8000 rings if I understand correctly. So, does anyone have an opinion for or against the two options? How good are the Quark carbon cranks? Are there other 5 bolt rings that I should consider while I am making the change (with the view to future proofing myself)? I have been using Vector 3s but I want to switch to Speedplay so it's powermeter decision agony.....again - please help! I want to grab one of these today (or something else?!) before the good sizes disappear!!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [east31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not go with the Favero pedals? Very very good reviews and almost bulletproof. Am sure I had an email for Black Friday specials...
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have liked my two Quarqs, but learned the hard way that after the warranty they offer no repair regardless if you’ll pay for it. If it needs a $2 repair to get back on the road - they won’t do it.

Don’t know if Shimano is any different.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve been happy with my vectors but in the name of marginal gains I want to give the Speedplays a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s good to know thanks. It’s a real shame they didn’t help you out!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [east31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it was me, I would go for the Quarq DFour. Quarqs are rock solid and their customer service is great too. From what I have been seeing, it appears that there are still issues with Shimano crank mounted LR power meters (Shimano LR powermeter; Stages LR etc...) reading low on the driveside thereby impacting overall accuracy. There seems to be a theory that the asymmetrical four arm design of the chainset is the reason for this. I have no firsthand experience with this; I'm only repeating what I have recently seen/read.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [GONE4ARIDE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GONE4ARIDE wrote:
There seems to be a theory that the asymmetrical four arm design of the chainset is the reason for this. I have no firsthand experience with this; I'm only repeating what I have recently seen/read.

If that were true, wouldn't the dFour have the same issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, because with the DFour you are not using the Shimano crankset which is apparently the root of the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If DC Rainmaker has good things to say about Stages, they must have significantly improved over the last few years. The single sided versions were little better than random number generators.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my feeling having read his reviews. Both power meters 'just work' and with the sales on the prices are similar. As I am running Ultegra now the Stages set up would be a simple install but I think I would have to switch the rear brake to an Omega (it is chainstay mounted on a Cannondale Slice). The Quark would require a new BB but I would negate the brake problems. The installation seems straight forward for the Quark and I like the idea of those carbon cranks (made by Sram I think). I guess the only downside to either longterm is that they are R8000/9000 specific but as I don't seem to be able to settle on a power meter for more than a year that is probably a moot point.
Last edited by: east31: Nov 30, 19 10:00
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [greenlawnracing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a different experience with my (way) out of warranty Quarq Riken. I was having an issue with the unit intermittently dropping out - seemed to be battery related. I called, tech support indicated it was probably that the 'spring loaded' fingers in the battery compartment had lost their spring. Ok, fair enough. I asked how much for them to send me one and I'd do it myself. Imagine my surprise when he offered to do the repair and check calibration, I just needed to mail it in. I half expected to receive an invoice when the unit was returned to me - but nope, it was done at no charge. So, that's my n=1 to go with your n=1 ;-)

greenlawnracing wrote:
Have liked my two Quarqs, but learned the hard way that after the warranty they offer no repair regardless if you’ll pay for it. If it needs a $2 repair to get back on the road - they won’t do it.

Last edited by: A527G: Nov 30, 19 10:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't touch Stages: https://gplama.com/...ankset-power-meters/
Last edited by: aravilare: Nov 30, 19 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [A527G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A527G wrote:
I had a different experience with my (way) out of warranty Quarq Riken I was having an issue with the unit intermittently dropping out - seemed to be battery related. I called, tech support indicated it was probably that the 'spring loaded' fingers in the battery compartment had lost their spring. Ok, fair enough. I asked how much for them to send me one and I'd do it myself. Imagine my surprise when he offered to do the repair and check calibration, I just needed to mail it in. I half expected to receive an invoice when the unit was returned to me - but nope, it was done at no charge. So, that's my n=1 to go with your n=1 ;-)

I had a very similar customer service experience with my Quarq.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting article thanks. I had heard that Shimano had problems with their power meters and it makes sense that it is the shape of the drive side. I have had a Power2Max PM before and I loved it. I didn't like the rotor cranks so I sold it on. Looking at their website I am not sure which cranks I would go for. I can get the Cannondale power meter for $599 and use my SI cranks but at that price I think I would rather try the half price Quark that comes with cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [A527G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is good to know thanks. It can be hit and miss with these companies but I am glad you had a good experience!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I edited my response after I re-read your post and noticed that you wanted to keep the cranks.

Personally, I think cranks have some of the lowest ROI for increasing your speed (independent of maybe reducing your Q factor), so I'd sacrifice using "worse" cranks (assuming they're still the right length) for the sake of a more accurate PM.

I assume you want to use Speedplay because of the aero pedal/cleat options, and that's definitely not something I'd want to give up for a few more metrics.

By process of elimination, you're really left with one of the spider-based PMs or a Powertap hub, which is definitely out of style. If I were in your shoes, I'd think harder about changing or using the old cranks.
Last edited by: aravilare: Nov 30, 19 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. My liking of the Ultegra cranks was the ease of installation. But as I don’t have to do that too often it’s not a big factor. It was the q factor on the 3D+ cranks that I didn't like. Yes to the speedplay for aero. They just seem like a really well designed product that’s fit for the job. So I think I will go with the Quark. I’ll have to get a new BB. I can run my Ultegra rings but some of the new rotor aero rings might be a nice way to finish things off. Thanks for all your help, it is great to be able to sound off some ideas!!
Last edited by: east31: Nov 30, 19 10:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll 2nd the Power2Max idea. I’ve had two and have a third on order. Zero issues over a few years!!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greenlawnracing wrote:

That's unfortunate that they didn't help you. But I did have a different experience with mine, they replaced the spider when it died and was about half a year out of warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven't pulled the trigger yet, Competitive Cyclist is having a 50% off sale on select Quarq power meters. Great deal if one of these works for you.

Matthew
Twitter: @AlphaDogCycling
Instagram: @AlphaDogCycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No experience with Stages, but can say that I had great experiences with Quarq. the occasional issue, but Quarq customer service was second to none, and on one occasion they actually sent me a new power, sight unseen, before I even sent my defective one back.

That being said, I now ride with Pioneer because of a smoking team sponsorship deal. Been happy with Pioneer too, though I do prefer the clean/seamless look of the Quarq.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power 2 Max. They will take care of you too.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [alphadogcycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s who I ordered from fortunately otherwise I would be full of regret! Such a great deal.
Last edited by: east31: Nov 30, 19 15:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having owned both, I would unequivocally recommend Quarq (or any other brand) over Stages.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me make a Black Friday quick shopping decision - Quark vs Stages [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
greenlawnracing wrote:

That's unfortunate that they didn't help you. But I did have a different experience with mine, they replaced the spider when it died and was about half a year out of warranty.

I gave them another chance as I bought another one a few weeks later. In a way, they did help out. When I called and explained the situation, they essentially said "its out of warranty, you can have X% off a new one. We don't work on them after warranty".

I was pissed, and BEGGED them to look at it. They said I could send it in, but no promises.

Oddly enough, it needed a new spider and they replaced it for free. They said they looked at my account and I had called for troubleshooting about six months after I bought it, so the warranty had been extended automatically at that time. It was about 29 months old, therefore still under the "extended" warranty.

FWIW, the issue was due to water ingress which was a known issue with the Elsa.

But, what I took from the situation was that if my new one breaks at 25 months and needs a $.06 repair.....they don't do it. If I can't YouTube it (and likely can't buy the parts), I'm SOL.

Hopefully it lasts many years, and if it does fail I have an experience similar to that of others.
Quote Reply

Prev Next