Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me get back in to swimming
Quote | Reply
Up until two years ago, I was a regular masters swimmer. I started as an AOS, but really took to the water. When I stopped swimming I was comfortably doing 28-29min for the swim leg of 70.3's.

Two years ago, I hurt my rotator cuff and developed some nerve impingement in my right arm. I stopped swimming and took my time getting to a physiotherapist, and the result is that only now am I feeling able to get back in the pool. I'm pretty out of shape, as I haven't been able to run or bike much either.

Masters groups are closed here for the time being due to Covid, so any training will be on my own. Since I'm coming off injury, I'd really like to take it easy, do a lot of work on technique, just slowly build up my strength and endurance for a few months before I start doing any kind of intervals. I have no real aspiration to race or anything, I just want to get my groove back for now, so to speak.

I have no idea where to start. Is there a resource out there with beginner type set lists I can follow? Are there any decent free swim specific training programs out there?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me get back in to swimming [LCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I messed up my rotator cuff in the gym years ago. If I get a little off in my pull, or stretch out a little too far, I start to feel it. This is what I did. Get a snorkel and pull buoy. Concentrate on building equally shoulder strength, a good catch and a good pull, without worrying about side breathing messing you up. You can add paddles to get your strength up. After a while of technique and strength work, start removing the snorkel for short side breathing intervals.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me get back in to swimming [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great idea, thanks. What did you do as far as distance and "sets" off the go? Just whatever felt easy, stop when you start fatiguing and technique goes down?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just jump in and start swimming. do a 100 or 200 and take a short rest, rinse and repeat. next day do 50's or 150s or 75s or 125s. Doesn't matter. Just swim

You can mix in kicking or drill if you want. go on relaxed intervals and don't worry about send off times

When I got back this year after 155 days out I did a bunch of 75s and 150s just cruising.

Within about 3 weeks I was back to holding sub 1:30/100yd. Everything was ~ :07/100 slower from pre pandemic though. I was doing 2500-3200 per swim 3-4x week

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, just swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All good suggestions, just be careful with using the paddles too much. If you do use them, start with during the warm up or for a short set just after the warm up. A great time to work on your kick.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me get back in to swimming [Jgill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of PT's will tell you that rotator cuff swimming injuries are caused by hand entry. Make sure you aren't entering the water thumb first. I'd also be sure to use a band for shoulder strength work to increase strength there and support coming back to swimming nice and easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me get back in to swimming [Jgill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe try tech paddles (finis) instead of the other. Since there are no straps they will fly away if you don’t enter properly.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Help me get back in to swimming [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those paddles aren’t the best for someone with a rotator cuff injury. First, since there isn’t a strap a lot of swimmers will tense their hand and forearm to try to keep them on. Second, if you’re stroke is off by a little they can be very unstable with the design of the paddle and since there isn’t a strap.

Hope this helps.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try some ladders, like 100/200/300/400/300/200/100 or

3 x 50
3 x 100
3 x 150
3 x 100
3 x 50

etc.

I also really like repeats of 500 swim, 500 swim w/ kick every 5th length for just kind of dozing and enjoying the water.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Help me get back in to swimming [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt I could swim a 400 straight at this point. I haven't been in a pool in 2.5 years. I'll definitely try a scaled down version!

Quote Reply
Re: Help me get back in to swimming [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im just now getting back into the pool after a long time away due to COVID closures. I did the 100/200/300/400/300/200/100 ladder set yesterday as my second workout back. I took about a minute rest after each distance, and if I recall correctly I think I may have taken 1:30 or 2:00 after the 300s and 400. Haha! No pressure to crush a time or interval, just getting back in and swimming. It was difficult, but just right for how much I believe I can handle right now. Thanks for posting - and would recommend to others looking to just get the feel back.
Last edited by: Frankbul: Sep 30, 20 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't to keen on the 100-200-300-etc...200-100 ladder and found a 100-200-100-300-100-400-100-500 build up more enjoyable. The 100s in between longer sets helped me reset and I was able to maintain better form in the longer sets which made them more enjoyable.
Quote Reply