Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help me find a second home
Quote | Reply
I'd like to buy a second home that I could rent out all winter to skiers and then have it for a summer home for myself. So the two criteria would be a town that is very popular for skiing and lots of great cycling options in the summer. I know most mountain towns likely have plenty of MTB options. I'm not interested in gnarly, highly technical mountain biking but dirt roads and paths would be fine.

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a second home [geoffreydean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bozeman

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or Whitefish MT. I spend 2 months there in the winter - the skiing is excellent but really their big tourist season is summer due to Glacier National Park. Real estate prices are absurd though.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flagstaff, Park City
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mont Tremblant. Popular for skiing in winter and theyre trying to make it a tri hub for summer with a lane carved out for cyclists along the race course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Tahoe

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second park city. I also love Bozeman, but the trails there arent super smooth and the options in park city are better for both mountain and road biking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A plug for the east coast -- VT has wonderful road and off road cycling options (more mile of gravel than pavement). Ted King has some great photos on his website, IamTedKIng. Stratton Mt. area or Mt. Snow both in Southern VT are fine options or Burke MT./ Jay Peak in the Northeast Kingdom with the Kingdom Trails in East Burke being some of the best mt. biking anywhere.
Last edited by: joj4444: Aug 7, 20 2:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that based on the two criteria you outlined, VT would be a great option. I'm from upstate NY so know it much better than anything out west, admittedly. it truly is a beautiful state, and as for riding it is very, very easy to get off the beaten path and not deal with super busy roads, and the people of VT are great - on the whole.

Tons of ski mountains. Southern VT you have stratton/mt snow, middle VT you have killington/okemo, and northern VT up by burlington you have stowe/smuggs/jay/more so you'd have no shortage of satisfying that criteria. southern is easiest to get to but middle/northern VT is where the state really shines if you ask me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sun Valley, ID
Bend, Or
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chamonix France. Take me with you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tahoe/Truckee area

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT kind of depends on your budget, you have houses here from $250k to $2.5 million being put out there. What's your ballpark?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bozeman sucks, tell your friends.

I'd go with Park City
Last edited by: Lav: Aug 7, 20 8:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Placid?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a second home [Lav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too many millionaire dentists in BZN, 2/10 do not recommend
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a second home [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If money is no object I would go with Vermont(I have no idea what it costs there, but of everywhere I have been it would be my choice) I spent a summer there and it is insane how good the riding is. Mt snow has "super gnar" but they also have great XC mountain bike trails that can work for a novice. Gravel was not a thing when I was there, but we rode hardtail mountain bikes to some insane spots. If you have a family, go hit up Dorset Marble Quarry from one of the coolest "swimmin holes" you can imagine.
Another somewhat off the path option would be Methow Valley in Eastern Washington state. It is an XC skiing area, so not big mountain, but still very much in demand during the winter. Good riding, and you are 90 min car ride (or a very long bike ride) to Osoyoos, British Columbia, which has some great riding.
IF outside the US is an option, Squamish BC. Little more mountain bike centric. (it is where all the pinkbike videos are shot) but it is an awesome town. I think the only reason to live there is because you love the outdoors, in the summer every car seems to have a bike, kayak or bouldering mat on the roof. I am not sure how it would fair for winter rental, but a lot of people seem to like staying there, and then driving to Whistler rather than paying the Whistler rates.

Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a second home [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If money is no object I would go with Vermont(//

Actually it is the opposite, if money is an object, go with Vermont. Of all the places listed thus far, Vermont by far will have the least expensive property that is close to the ski areas. And yes, Vermont is a gravel bike paradise, with a good amount of paved roads off the beaten path too. I'm just not sure of the skiing there, they have resorts and all, but are they comparable and sought out like the biggies listed here? That is the one calculation I dont know, do folks actually rent and travel much to Vermont resorts? I know stuff in Sun Valley or Tahoe, or any of those high profile spots, get lots of attention during the winter. But of course they cost a lot more, to buy and to rent out. And then there is the travel costs to get there, Vermont is not an easy trip if you are flying in, I usually fly direct to Boston and then rent a car for the last 3 1/2 hours of driving..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that a rural Vermont home seems pretty affordable, but it seems like in order to be a good Air BnB there, you need to be ON the mountain (or pretty close) I am not a winter sports person, but my East coast friends seems to go to MT Snow and Killington pretty often. And yes getting to and around Vermont can be kind of a pain. We were staying somewhere in VT for the Mt Washington hill climb, we looked at a map and were like 40 or 50 miles as the crow flies from the start, the people were were staying with let us know the night before the race, that we were like 2 or 3 hours driving time away. quote "You don't just hop on the freeway here like you do in Texas"
Quote Reply
Re: Help me find a second home [swimbikerun66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shhh... Bend, OR is terrible.

I'm in the middleof packing up bikes, skis, and kayaks to move out there. It's only great if you enjoy the sun and want to be outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised no one has mentioned any Colorado ski towns. Crested Butte (I hear) seems exactly what you're after.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
IT kind of depends on your budget, you have houses here from $250k to $2.5 million being put out there. What's your ballpark?

$1 million would probably be tops. I see that would buy a studio apartment in Aspen - which is fine if it would rent out pretty solidly all winter.

Doing a little research last night and Bozeman looks pretty cool but looks like there are gobs of very inexpensive rentals. Just randomly checked late November and mid December dates and lots and lots of cheap vacancies. Perhaps reservations are down due to Covid.

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
High rent will correspond to a high initial property cost so things kind of adjust themselves. I would figure out where you want to go, then look for a property that works for you. When we first started staying in Whitefish MT we wanted to buy a place but the rentals were so cheap compared to the real estate costs it made a lot more sense to rent every year. Example: our little house that we rented for $1500 a month sold the next summer for 300k. It was a nice little house but not a good investment.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steamboat Springs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I would rather rent a summer home for 3 months rather than own it and have to deal with it being rented out the rest of the year. I realize you can hire a management company to largely handle this, but I think it would be awesome to live in different places every summer via renting.

Or maybe rent a home in the area you think you want to buy. By living in the area first, you can confirm that you truly like the area and you’ll get a better sense of the pulse of the community.
Quote Reply

Prev Next