Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me chose which carbon wheels to buy for my Cervelo P2 (a P3 Frame from 2015)
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at this in a 60/90 combo for around $1,200 - https://www.flocycling.com/store_cc_wheels.php

Or something like these new but 1st generation Bontrager Aeolus 9.0 Full Carbon Clinchers, 90mm deep front and back for about $700.

I've also been looking at the used market in 11 speed clincher format, but would be taking a chance on wheel condition and no warranty.

Thanks,

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Help me chose which carbon wheels to buy for my Cervelo P2 (a P3 Frame from 2015) [Denizen of Deep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No opinions?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me chose which carbon wheels to buy for my Cervelo P2 (a P3 Frame from 2015) [Denizen of Deep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a set of FLO 60/90 carbon clinchers. They are totally awesome. FLO has much love on this forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me chose which carbon wheels to buy for my Cervelo P2 (a P3 Frame from 2015) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - another option just popped up:

Mercury Wheels S5C Carbon Road Wheelset for $799 - that's 1/2 price.

Can't find much online about those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED Jet 6 wheels have been mentioned around here and I think backcountry will frequently have sales. Also memorial day (if you're US based), is coming up so there should be sales then. I have profile design 58/24s which are fine for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm running FLO 60/90 (Stealth/Blue color) on my 2016 P2..
Absolutely love them. Great product, great company.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me chose which carbon wheels to buy for my Cervelo P2 (a P3 Frame from 2015) [MikeM126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - just saw this thread - so the Mercurys are out: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...06%20wheels#p6613991
Quote Reply
Re: Help me chose which carbon wheels to buy for my Cervelo P2 (a P3 Frame from 2015) [MikeM126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeM126 wrote:
I'm running FLO 60/90 (Stealth/Blue color) on my 2016 P2..
Absolutely love them. Great product, great company.

What tires are you running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Continental GP 4000 (I believe Flo recommends these)
and previously
Continental Grand Sport

I also just got Latex tubes, so excited to add those in for upcoming races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Flo website:

What size tires do you recommend with your wheels?
All of our wheels were designed with a 23mm x 700c tire. The fastest tire we have tested in the A2 wind tunnel with our wheels, is the Continental GP 4000s II in a 23mm x 700c size

More...https://www.flocycling.com/faq.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 23s will fit the P2, I was thinking of using the 25s so i could drop the pressure, but they may be too tall for the P2. A friend had a new Reynolds Strike wheel with Vitoria Corsa 25s on it, I put it on the rear and there was plenty of room on my P2. Is your frame the newest design or the 2014 P3 model with P2 decals like mine?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think so. Looks like it.

On a separate note, how’d you add custom/different decals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Denizen of Deep wrote:
The 23s will fit the P2, I was thinking of using the 25s so i could drop the pressure, but they may be too tall for the P2. A friend had a new Reynolds Strike wheel with Vitoria Corsa 25s on it, I put it on the rear and there was plenty of room on my P2. Is your frame the newest design or the 2014 P3 model with P2 decals like mine?

I can’t speak for the flo wheels but I have my profile design carbon wheels and then Shimano r500 alloy for training and I run size 25 tires on my 2014 cervelo p2 with no issues on both those wheel sets
Quote Reply
Re: Help me chose which carbon wheels to buy for my Cervelo P2 (a P3 Frame from 2015) [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are small set screws in the rear dropouts to move ther rear wheel back for more tire clearance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my experience (and if I could go back in time) I wouldn't bother with the aero rear wheel, I would go straight to a disc if you already have a rear wheel. I have a set of Profile Design 78 that I ride day in and day out. And sure it looks cool but I would have been ahead financially if I would have just gone with the front 78 and a rear disc. Then just ride my original shimanos that came with the bike. At about 80kg I have never seen winds that would make me not ride my disc in a race and instead opt for the 78 rear. If you are the competitive or techie type I would think you will eventually end up with a disc, just a matter of time. Good Luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me chose which carbon wheels to buy for my Cervelo P2 (a P3 Frame from 2015) [TravelingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravelingTri wrote:
From my experience (and if I could go back in time) I wouldn't bother with the aero rear wheel, I would go straight to a disc if you already have a rear wheel.
This X2. I started with FLO 60/90. But after 2 seasons where most of the people passing me had rear disc wheels, and I had no handling issues, I wished I had a disc too. So, now I have a 90mm front and disc rear. First race with them in 1 hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me chose which carbon wheels to buy for my Cervelo P2 (a P3 Frame from 2015) [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
There are small set screws in the rear dropouts to move ther rear wheel back for more tire clearance.

I've got a 2017 P2 with Flo 60 carbons front and rear. I'm using Conti GP 4000 S2 25mm tires and yes, those screws came in handy to allow some clearance. I like a slightly wider tire. A little less aero but more comfortable for longer rides. 23mm is the optimum tire width for those wheels though, and would probably fit the P2 without having to adjust the set screws.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Help me chose which carbon wheels to buy for my Cervelo P2 (a P3 Frame from 2015) [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pulled the trigger and ordered the FLO Carbon Wheels in 60/90. The hardest part was picking the decal colors :) I think I'm going with the GP 4000 s II and latex tubes. Can't wait to get them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Trying to decide what wheels run with my 2017 black P2 Etap, not for cosmetics, in my case to have the best pair of carbon wheels.

Why you don't try the Hed for the same Flo price¿? Or maybe the Zipp 404/808 from the "doctor" almost on the same price?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noooooooo. Stick with Flo. PM me for more info about Mercury.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me chose which carbon wheels to buy for my Cervelo P2 (a P3 Frame from 2015) [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
TravelingTri wrote:
From my experience (and if I could go back in time) I wouldn't bother with the aero rear wheel, I would go straight to a disc if you already have a rear wheel.
This X2. I started with FLO 60/90. But after 2 seasons where most of the people passing me had rear disc wheels, and I had no handling issues, I wished I had a disc too. So, now I have a 90mm front and disc rear. First race with them in 1 hour.

So, the question becomes......which disc?
Bulged or flat?
Carbon or aluminum brake track?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Help me chose which carbon wheels to buy for my Cervelo P2 (a P3 Frame from 2015) [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
So, the question becomes......which disc?
Bulged or flat?
Carbon or aluminum brake track?
I chose the HED Jet Black 90/Disc. So, lenticular & aluminum+ brake track.

The HED itself seems generally known to be fast. And, IIRC, lenticular discs are better on most current bikes with tightly integrated rear wheels, whereas flat discs are better on older bikes where the rear wheel is less integrated.

Carbon vs aluminum brake track is pure personal preference.
Quote Reply