Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me choose a Tri-bike
Quote | Reply
Looking to get my first tri-specific/ TT bike this year. Have a $3500 - $4000 price range. What would be your recommendations? What are the most important considerations to look for?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose a Tri-bike [jaydog9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$1,700 to your LBS for a Cervelo Dual. $2,300 to me for consultation fee.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fit is everything. Then style points. But fit first.

Contact Ves and have him build you a Yaqui. (Just don't judge his framebuilding skills by his website)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose a Tri-bike [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Contact Ves and have him build you a Yaqui. (Just don't judge his framebuilding skills by his website)
ESPECIALLY if you are looking at it in Firefox....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fro $4,000 you cannot go wrong as long as you find a good fitter. If one is not local to you buy a plane ticket and fly to one. I believe that Nytro will even pay for your hotel room if you buy a bike from them.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a really nice tri bike you can have for $4000. My recommendation is not to spend that much on your first tri bike. No matter how well you get fitted, your needs will probably change over time.

e.g. I am riding a bike now that is 3 cm smaller than my first tri bike. They both fit, just that the first one I got was at a different time and fitting philosophies were different in 1990 than they are now.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: More is MORE: Apr 3, 07 14:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri a TitanFlex. Very aero, very comfy. Very adjustable as your needs change.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree...well...at least that Ves has made great bikes for years, but his website leaves ALOT to be desired (I don't think it has changed much in the past 2 years).

Of course, I would be willing to help him with that :-)

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd spend a bit less on the bike and use the money saved to get aero wheels and aero helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree with Cerveloguy..
Don't spend all your money on the bike.. especially when you have a decent amount of money that could provide you some options.
Go for a nice but not too expensive bike (Cervelo Dual/P2 SL, Felt S22, QR Kilo/Tequilo to name a few) and spend the rest on upgrades like wheels, shoes (if needed), helmets (if needed), pedals (if needed), etc..

Cheers,
Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like what others have said, fit is paramount. So, pay for a professional fitting. Then take your numbers and see what material you like best and choose from the following, getting it custom-made if you have to:

Alu: Yaqui, Cannondale, Cervelo, Guru, QR, Elite
Carbon: Guru, Felt, Cervelo, Kuota, QR, Aegis, Elite
Ti: Litespeed, Lynskey, Roark, QR
Alu/Carbon: Giant, Cannondale, Argon 18, Yaqui

the list is long, but basically all these brands make good products, but their gemoetries can differ by a lot so it depends on your riding style.

Secondary considerations would include stuff like customer service, warranty, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second Ves and Yaqui. I love mine.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of excellent choices. If I were you, I would get a bike fit first.

Armed with your ideal measurements, go shopping & have some fun with the process.

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose a Tri-bike [MuffinTop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what else can you surf the web with?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose a Tri-bike [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why, Lynx of course!
Or if you want to be old school you can just stick your tongue on the end of an ethernet cable. That could work if you all the layers of your OSI model *really* well ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course fit is the most important. if it fits, I would look at the QR Seduza w/ some race wheels. Take a look at the Pro Lite Wheel Combo on bikesportmichigan.com
Quote Reply