Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help me choose: P5d or PX-series
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to move from my current P4 to one of these two bikes this offseason. Cost not being an issue, which would you choose? Here are a few factors:

- I'll be racing primarily 70.3's for the next 2-3 seasons but may look to do some full IM's after that.

- Nutrition/hydration: or 70.3's I'm a "live off the land" sort of guy nutrition-wise so my nutrition/hydration carrying needs are pretty simple and either bike could accomodate them easily. I carry one bottle of Gatorade Endurance BTA and one bottle of water behind the seat. Gu's and Clif Bloks go in the bento box. No idea if that will work for me for a full IM, so I may need more than that at some point.

- Storage: On my current P4 I've converted the aero bottle to a tire/tool box (didn't everyone?). The PX-series has a box there already. The P5d, for some reason, has a bottle there. I'd have to hack one of those up to make it a tool carrier, or find an aftermarket solution to carry tools and tubes.

- Aero: I "think" that with just one bottle BTA and one behind the seat, the P5d is slightly faster but I can't find any aero data comparing these two bikes. IIRC, the P5d was faster than the P5x, and I'm pretty sure the PX-series is slightly slower than the P5x. However, this is all lkely just splitting hairs and trivially small differences compared to getting my fit dialed in on either bike.

- Comfort: Has anyone ridden both of these that can offer a comparison? I'm not normally a big believer in frames accounting for much difference in ride comfort; I think tires make exponentially more difference. However, given that one is a traditional frame and one is a beam bike, I think this is a more pertinent question with these two bikes.

- Weight: I know the PX-series is lighter than the P5x. Has it closed the gap to the P5d enough that it's not a significant issue on hilly courses?

- Travel: I'm not planning any international races (and won't be KQ'ing any time soon), and I usually use a service like Tribike Transport for US races that I don't drive to, so flying with a bike isn't a major consideration.

- Trainer use: Is there anything about either of these bikes that would be a problem using them on a Tacx Neo trainer? I do a LOT of my training on the trainer in Zwift so being able to put the bike on the trainer without issues is a must.

Any other factors I haven't considered?

Given all of this, what would you choose, and why?

Thanks!
Last edited by: el gato: Oct 16, 19 20:22
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose: P5d or PX-series [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the guy that runs custom bike accessories has a bottom bracket storage box in the works for the P5d. makes great use of that space and adds what that bike desperately needs, in my opinion.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose: P5d or PX-series [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good to know - thanks! I figured that some entrepreneurial soul would come up with a solution for this pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently just bought the P5d and I think if in doubt, the P5d is the right bike for you especially since you aren't taking bottle and bottles of nutrition.
I will actually be using mine for all distance and at least 1-2 Ironmans a year and a bottle behind me, in between my arms and then the aero bottle will suffice for me.

I haven't ridden both but from what other testers have said the P5d handles more like a road bike and is fairly agile. The PX series/PX-5 is over 2 pounds heavier than the P5d.

One other benefit of the PX is the cockpit is much more adjustable however if you are saying money is not an option, you can put a PX series cockpit on the P5d for around $500.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using various bits of data Cervelo have released in my IM Cairns course model for a 5hr rider (2018 conditions). Only using that model because it was at the top of the folder.

Fully loaded the P5X 34s faster than P3X. That's with the weight difference included. As far as I can tell the Px is just the P3X with P5X bars so that relationship wouldn't have changed.

Full loaded the P5X showed 46s faster than P5

But Tour Mag testing (not loaded) showed P5-3 75s faster than P5X

Back to Cervelo data - they showed P5D 9s faster than P5.

On that note, in my testing (and that of others) the P5 can be made faster with different bars.

No useful direct comparisons, but my inference from the various pieces of info is that, if you must get a new bike - get a P5D and run it light (which has been the best plan for a long time).

Of course, the P5D with stock bars is a bit crippled, so swap the EX11 out for an EX10 riser assembly and put Profile Design Race or Ergo cups on. Unless you are one of the handful of people for whom flat and narrow works best, then stick with EX11 and get the Race cups like Anne Haug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have three bikes, 2019 P5X (yellow and green one with DA build), 2020 P5D (stealth black/grey with DA build) and a 2020 PX (black with DA build). I have a fair bit of time on all three bikes, less on the PX than the other two. Here are my thoughts;

P5X is certainly 'heavy'... it's very hilly where I live and I really felt the weight on long sustained climbs. I went through a process to lighten it up a bit and managed to get it down to about 20-ish pounds. It has a nice solid ride, very stable in all wind conditions (I live in the windiest city in Canada) and has amazing adjustability so fit and comfort are top notch. No issues with travel, no issues on the trainer. I used it at Ironman Texas this spring and loved it. I removed the larger storage box above the BB, didn't need it I thought but the other storage box is kind of small and hard to fill without causing it to bulge and fit properly in the frame. The large fin area behind the wheel kept getting dinged by rocks and has a few chips in the paint.

P3X was announced just after I bought my bike, although I preferred the look of it and weight reduction I wasn't that interested in it so I passed.

P5D was bought because I thought about selling the P5X, first thing I noticed was how light it was, it really feels and handles like a light road bike. Storage is enough for me, I used it at Ironman Mont Tremblant with a rear Xlab aero pouch for my flat kit and it was perfectly fine. I replaced the downtube aero bottle with a standard cage and bottle. I really hate the bars though but that can be remedied. The integration of the Di2 junction box is really nice. Set up with Enve 7.8 wheels and a few other tweaks I've made has it weighing around 16-ish pounds. Set up with Zipp Super 9/808 its still extremely light and it absolutely flies! Once I swap the front end I'll really like this bike. Geometry is different that the P5X... lower and longer. I traveled using a Scicon Aerocomfort 3.0 bag and it was great. I thought this was my forever bike but I really still liked the ride, design, and uniqueness of the P5X so I was undecided what to do. Then the PX was released!

PX took all the good with the P5X and P3X and mixed them together. I ordered it the day it was released. Weight reduction over the P5X is noticeable and still has the fantastic split bar and Enve extensions that I love. I notice now that the PX comes with a different aero extension than what was included with mine, a ski tip bar from the P3X I guess. I'm glad mine came with the Enve extensions since that is one of the features of the P5X that really works for me. I love everything about this bike! I immediately noticed the weight savings over the P5X and on long sustained climbs it feels great, still not like the P5D though. The downtube kit has more capacity and can easily fit everything I need, I do like the zip-style top tube bento on the P5X, the PX just has a rubber bento with a slit but it's very functional. I see that Ben Hoffman installed a Shiv Fuselage bladder on his so that's kind of neat, I may try that. Di2 junction box integration is not great, I wish they had a solution to hide that better and not have exposed wires. I'll be using this bike at IMFL in a couple of weeks. Overall my rides on this bike are faster than on the other bikes. On the P5D I find I have to break aero more often mainly because of the handlebars, I can't get used to the mono-extension and 50 degree rise at all.

Based on your considerations I don't think one bike shines over the other so it will come down more to personal preference. I do find myself more comfortable on the PX and ride qualities are fantastic. Perhaps that's the better (for me) front end and once I swap that on the P5D maybe it will be comparable. People either love or hate the PX design, not everyone is into a 'beam bike'. No issues with any of them on a trainer. Packing the P5D in the Scicon bag was actually faster than packing the P5X/PX but all are pretty simple and straightforward. On all bikes I use 51 Speedshop arm cups and pads.

Anyway... I'm rambling. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose: P5d or PX-series [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much! That's extremely helpful. I know that many (most?) think the PX design is ugly but I actually think it's very cool looking and I'm leaning in that direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose: P5d or PX-series [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is the correct answer, and one that I fully support as the curator of the Cervelo fit thread :)

cyclenutnz wrote:
Using various bits of data Cervelo have released in my IM Cairns course model for a 5hr rider (2018 conditions). Only using that model because it was at the top of the folder.

Fully loaded the P5X 34s faster than P3X. That's with the weight difference included. As far as I can tell the Px is just the P3X with P5X bars so that relationship wouldn't have changed.

Full loaded the P5X showed 46s faster than P5

But Tour Mag testing (not loaded) showed P5-3 75s faster than P5X

Back to Cervelo data - they showed P5D 9s faster than P5.

On that note, in my testing (and that of others) the P5 can be made faster with different bars.

No useful direct comparisons, but my inference from the various pieces of info is that, if you must get a new bike - get a P5D and run it light (which has been the best plan for a long time).

Of course, the P5D with stock bars is a bit crippled, so swap the EX11 out for an EX10 riser assembly and put Profile Design Race or Ergo cups on. Unless you are one of the handful of people for whom flat and narrow works best, then stick with EX11 and get the Race cups like Anne Haug

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were me, I would get the P5d. It holds everything I need, even for an IM, it looks better, I think its cheaper (?) and it's probably faster, when I compare how I would set each up to race.

For an IM, on the P5d, I would probably put the flat kit in the bento, BTA bottle with water that would be re-filled. BTS bottle with calories/electrolytes that would be replaced at special needs and for hot courses I would also use the frame aero bottle. I'd carry 4 stinger waffles in my back pockets.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I go the P5d route, for sure I'd swap out the EX10 for the EX11 as I need some tilt. What's the reason for the recommendation to switch to the Profile Design Race or Ergo cups? Is it just personal preference or do they provide fit options that you don't have with the Cervelo cups?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose: P5d or PX-series [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for all the input everyone. After kicking this around in my head during my run today (always my best "thinking" time) it sounds like the P5d is the right answer for me. It may take a bit of customizing on the front end to get it to be what I need, but that's manageable. Hopefully someone will come up with a toolbox solution in place of that aero bottle. If not, I'll likely just convert the bottle to storage like I did on the P4.

If I could bug everyone with one more question - in one of the recent articles that Dan wrote on the new Cervelo bikes, he mentioned that he thought that Hed Jets, with their 21mm internal rim width, paired with 28c tires would be an awesome set of training wheels. My road bike is a Cervelo C5 with Hed Ardennes and 28c tires, and that thing is like a magic carpet on rough asphalt. Anyone know if Hed Jets with 28's will fit on a P5d? If so, I'd probably sell the DT Swiss wheels that come with the bike, get a set of the Jets for training and a Zipp 808/disc combo for racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if those tires fit in a p5d but pairing them on Hed Jets would be super un-aero. The outer width of the jets is only 25mm and with the 21mm internal width those tires will probably be like 32mm when mounted when you really want them to be around 24mm to prevent flow separation. If you want to train with 28mm tires just do it on cheap aluminum rims.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a couple data points to consider in the aero question of the P5D:

I raced a 70.3 a year ago and did a 2:x3:45 (the xx keeps this from being a humble brag) on 230 watts on my P5.

I did the same race this year, and did 2:x4:20 on 208 watts on my P5D. The days were similar in weather and my position is almost identical.

The takeaway for me, is the P5D is definitely faster than the P5 (for my position), which is a great relief after years of using the P5.

To the greater discussion, I also considered the P3X due the adjustability of the bars, but went with the lighter more nimble P5D as my preferred position was attainable on the base set up.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose: P5d or PX-series [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x = 5? ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose: P5d or PX-series [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd seen you mention that previously. Sorry to be a buzzkill but there simply isn't that much gain to be made over a well set up P5.
Possibilities:
- Weather not as similar as you perceived it to be
- position actually different
- powermeter different or calibration shift
- Fuel carrying changed for the better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
What's the reason for the recommendation to switch to the Profile Design Race or Ergo cups? Is it just personal preference or do they provide fit options that you don't have with the Cervelo cups?

You get better granularity - 7.5mm steps in X instead of 15
More Z (width) options with better granularity

On the preference side - I dislike flat armrests - having a full curve has made everyone I've ever fitted feel more supported and in control. Plus the cervelo pad compresses a lot so your position will change (slightly) over time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything you list is wrong. Weather was the same (temps, humidity) if not slower this year (more headwind along the long straight outward segment). Position is 100% the same, to the MM. Same PM. Same fueling to the kcal, in the exactly same set up (one bottle between my hands, one behind the seat).

I was as surprised as you are but those are the facts.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose: P5d or PX-series [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, maybe, maybe not...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
didn't we already decide this LOL?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose: P5d or PX-series [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
didn't we already decide this LOL?

Now we did ;-) What can I say - I overanalyze. Especially when $12K is involved.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose: P5d or PX-series [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you share the changes you did to the P5D to bring it down to 16 lbs?
I have a 51 dura ace enve 5.6 version, and including storage, bottle cages and pedals (light look pedals) it's 19 lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose: P5d or PX-series [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same question as mine is just a tick under 18lbs (or just over with the race set up (disk on the back). I do not see any way to take 2lbs off, even with shallow tubular wheels.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd also like to know this. This guy was able to get a P5 disc down to 18 pounds:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ervelo_fan_7344.html

... but that involved some pretty big-ticket items like the Dash saddle/seatpost combo, 1x setup, as well as stripping off the bento. Granted it's a size 58 and is has a disc wheel but I don't see how you shave 2 pounds off of that setup. I'd love to know how folks are lightening up the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Thanks again for all the input everyone. After kicking this around in my head during my run today (always my best "thinking" time) it sounds like the P5d is the right answer for me. It may take a bit of customizing on the front end to get it to be what I need, but that's manageable. Hopefully someone will come up with a toolbox solution in place of that aero bottle. If not, I'll likely just convert the bottle to storage like I did on the P4.

If I could bug everyone with one more question - in one of the recent articles that Dan wrote on the new Cervelo bikes, he mentioned that he thought that Hed Jets, with their 21mm internal rim width, paired with 28c tires would be an awesome set of training wheels. My road bike is a Cervelo C5 with Hed Ardennes and 28c tires, and that thing is like a magic carpet on rough asphalt. Anyone know if Hed Jets with 28's will fit on a P5d? If so, I'd probably sell the DT Swiss wheels that come with the bike, get a set of the Jets for training and a Zipp 808/disc combo for racing.

cervelo is building all its tri bikes now - everything released this year, i believe - assuming you'll use 28s. this is for side clearance as well as fork bottom and seat tube rear clearance. you should be fine. but i'll ping them anyway, just to make double darn sure.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have it '16-ish' not 16. I have the Dash saddle/post combo which saves a good bit of weight, I also have the post cut to the min insertion as i originally had it on the P5X, the wheels are tubeless, swapped rotors to a very light 140mm rotor, currently running it 1x but in the process of swapping it back, crank is a Dura Ace compact with 165mm arms, did a bunch of other small things, no rubber grips, no bar tape, cut the steering riser, cut the base bar ends, not sure what else.
Quote Reply

Prev Next