Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help me calculate an at home "maurten" drink (im bad at math) [esv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The latter.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Help me calculate an at home "maurten" drink (im bad at math) [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have watched your videos and read much of what you have written on forums. You do a great job explaining it in a simple enough form that most folks myself included cant believe its that simple lol.

Many of your suggestions is based around cycling and the ability to carry full mixed larger water bottles.

What would be your suggested mix for say a small hand flask to make more of a gel consistency used for long runs training/half mary/mary/ultras whereby a camleback, or on course water is only afforded every so often?

something like this : https://hammernutrition.com/...riant=42811330494699

In some situations its not feasible to be running while holding a water bottle, and easier to take a small shot of the mix followed by water cup at aid stations.

Lastly what is the reason so many people seem to tolerate Coca Cola as a fueling strategy on course? It appears it is made of HFCS, but that from reading online is basically table sugar...so back to your findings is that why...its the perfect ratio plus hydration and caffeine?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me calculate an at home "maurten" drink (im bad at math) [Tigertater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can totally make gels instead of liquid fuels. You just don't add as much water and it works fine. Pro tip is that you don't want to make stuff very thick. That makes it too hard to get all of it out of a squeeze bottle. You want to make it just a slight bit runny so you're not wasting energy fighting bottles.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help me calculate an at home "maurten" drink (im bad at math) [Tigertater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tigertater wrote:
I have watched your videos and read much of what you have written on forums. You do a great job explaining it in a simple enough form that most folks myself included cant believe its that simple lol.
Glad you've enjoyed my crusade. I hope to continue it.

Tigertater wrote:
Many of your suggestions is based around cycling and the ability to carry full mixed larger water bottles.

What would be your suggested mix for say a small hand flask to make more of a gel consistency used for long runs training/half mary/mary/ultras whereby a camleback, or on course water is only afforded every so often?

something like this : https://hammernutrition.com/...riant=42811330494699
The above poster answered well! Just make it with as little water as you like.

Tigertater wrote:
Lastly what is the reason so many people seem to tolerate Coca Cola as a fueling strategy on course? It appears it is made of HFCS, but that from reading online is basically table sugar...so back to your findings is that why...its the perfect ratio plus hydration and caffeine?
This is one of my favorite ironies in all of endurance sports. You are exactly right. Lots of folks think that the benefit might be the carbonation. It's just the sugar ratios are better than the other sports products.

Fun fact, we added Coke as a selectable product in our app for this reason. It's better than at least half the beverages on the market, and is probably best if mostly (or completely) flat. Add salt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: Help me calculate an at home "maurten" drink (im bad at math) [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.velominati.com/

Rule #52
Quote Reply
Re: Help me calculate an at home "maurten" drink (im bad at math) [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phew. Good thing I've never been one for rules.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:

You're welcome. Happy to share!

Yes, slightly, but have not done the math. BCAA effects are likely minimal, though if shooting for complete optimization and money and time were no object, I might at least crunch numbers to include or test it a bit for gut tolerance. Easier than crunching numbers and more accurate for you personally.

I wouldn't ingest ketone esters during exercise.

Here's the only non-food things I currently ingest during or before exercise.
Table Sugar
Gatorade powder.
Beta Alanine, 1kg, Bulk Supplements via Amazon
Beet Root Powder 1kg, Bulk Supplements via Amazon
Citrulline Malate, Bulk Supplements via Amazon
Caffeine from Bulk Supps on Amazon is great. There may be equivalent products for up to about 50% cheaper if you scour amazon. 200mg caffeine per pill and nothing else is what you're looking for. Nothing fancy. The cheaper the better.
Creatine from Bulk Supplements on Amazon (NOT for triathletes lol. Sprint cyclist married to another sprint cyclist/triathlete here!.)
Sodium Citrate

I have zero affiliation with any supp company by the way. Just sharing what I personally use. (I'm cheap!)

Hi Dr!

Are you able to speak to general ratios of the other supplements listed?

For example:
For every 100g sugar add:
-5g Beta Alanine
-10g Beet Root Powder
-etc, etc.

Also, should any of those be a once daily/do not exceed amount that doesn't correspond to nutrition/hydration needs? For example, take 10g Cirtrulline Malate daily.

And lastly, why add the ingredients beyond sugar and sodium citrate, and I say that after I've already ordered all of these supplements from Amazon? (Besides caffeine being awesome)

Thanks in advance for any answers here, already I've gone from having an unmistakable smell of ammonia in my nose after every trainer session from the protein breakdown I was experiencing to not having that at all and immediately beginning to lose weight despite adding hundreds of calories of table sugar to my diet a day.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me calculate an at home "maurten" drink (im bad at math) [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting

I noticed by increasing my carb intake just recently no more ammonia smell and losing some fat
Quote Reply
Re: Help me calculate an at home "maurten" drink (im bad at math) [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.triathlete.com/training/body-signals-smell-ammonia-taste-metal-your-bodys-trying-to-tell-you-something/

Quote:

1. Ammonia Smell
Smelling ammonia usually happens towards the end of a long or challenging workout and is a strong indicator that you have been burning protein as fuel. The reason you smell ammonia is because the protein breakdown product urea is being produced faster than it can be excreted by your kidneys, and is subsequently leached into your sweat as ammonia.
What your body is telling you is your muscles are being directly broken down, metabolized, and used for energy during your exercise. Not ideal! The way to prevent this is to fuel with a higher carbohydrate intake before and during exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Harrison,

Another question. I've been trying your formula, and I'm having trouble getting the large granulated sugar to dissolve in my bottles. It seems like I can only get about 105-110g of the sugar/Gatorade/sodium citrate mix to dissolve in a 24oz bottle. Could I throw the granulated sugar in a blender to make it finer? Or would powdered sugar work as a substitute for granulated? How do you personally deal with a lot of extra sediment sitting at the bottom of the bottle? Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me calculate an at home "maurten" drink (im bad at math) [Zacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You shouldn't be having an issue with sugar dissolving given simple syrup is a 1:1 ratio of water and sugar. If you're starting off with very cold water, it will make dissolving more difficult, try room temp water to mix then refrigerate once its all dissolved if you'd like a cold drink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't put those in your intra-workout drink. If you're going to use the supplements I recommended somewhere in the depths of this thread or others:
  1. Expect effect to be small.
  2. Use 1-3 hours pre-training, or split them around the clock, not during training.

This applies to things like beta-alanine, citrulline malate, beet supplements, etc.

During training → carbs, sodium, water. More on that in this nutrition series I just started.

Quote Reply
Re: Help me calculate an at home "maurten" drink (im bad at math) [Zacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zacky wrote:
Dr. Harrison, Another question. I've been trying your formula, and I'm having trouble getting the large granulated sugar to dissolve in my bottles. It seems like I can only get about 105-110g of the sugar/Gatorade/sodium citrate mix to dissolve in a 24oz bottle. Could I throw the granulated sugar in a blender to make it finer? Or would powdered sugar work as a substitute for granulated? How do you personally deal with a lot of extra sediment sitting at the bottom of the bottle? Thanks in advance!
I don't think I've ever had any trouble getting 150-200g/liter to dissolve with just vigorous shaking, even in very cold water. It's when I put more like 300-400g/L that it struggles to fully dissolve.

Shake harder & longer? Re-shake before each drink so that you're effectively getting some floating sugar along with actually dissolved sugar? I think I do that too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had no issues with 320g or so in a 500ml bottle on the weekend. Zacky - use normal white table sugar and prepare then have your cocktail 'shaken not stirred'
Quote Reply
Re: Help me calculate an at home "maurten" drink (im bad at math) [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waverider101 and Dr. Harrison - thanks to both of you! I guess the simple solution is my lack of aggressive shaking. I think I'll add some offseason upper body lifting to increase my bottle shaking abilities.
Quote Reply

Prev Next