Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me buy my first tri. bike
Quote | Reply
Price: $3,000.

- Make and model: I'm totally open, but probably a "big" name, not a custom builder.

- I am looking at something to race for 5 seasons or more (I can't afford a pricey new bike every year or 2). I feel like I have plenty of time but definitely want to use a it a little in 2006 and race on it in 2007.

- I'm not hung up on frame material and believe that fit, wheels and tires are more important than the frame. Aren't all $1,000 - $2,000 frames plenty good these days anyway?

- I'm very "normal" in terms of body dimensions so most any brand would suit me well. Not terribly flexible so I doubt I'll do "80 degrees with the 10-inch drop" or anything ...

- Would I do better to just get a $2,000-ish bike and race wheels? To me there still remains the school of thought that I'll be psyched with the bike for a season or 2, then buy race wheels and fall in love all over again.

- Is now a good time to buy? Should I wait until August or Sept. and try to get a leftover 2006 model? I'll probably get sort-of fitted on a couple bikes next week and order exactly what I want from a shop in June. Is that stupid?

- I hopped on my buddy's 55 cm 2005 Litespeed Blade today for 20 miles and it was a blast. Excellent ride and not nearly as aggressive a position as I expected. We are nearly the same size, so that would be my size too.

My current bike is a 56 cm Fuji Roubaix with aerobars. I'm used to it and sick of it.

I will be bike shopping in person and in earnest over Memorial Day Weekend.

Please share your experiences & advice.
Last edited by: TBinMT: May 21, 06 19:19
Quote Reply
Re: Help me buy my first tri. bike [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jut curious as to why "no custom builders", and how "big" a company needs to be to be considered "a big name"? Obviously there is Trek, ABG, Specialized, Giant, Felt and Cervelo. But what about Jamis? Kuota? Elite? Guru? Serotta? Seven?

Where do you live? Do you have an LBS that you trust? You seem to like the Blade you rode, so maybe you should start out by looking a the Litespeed /ABG line. Find a retailler that you trust, get measured up and then see what frames fit you.

Or, go with a custom builder like Yaqui. :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflex

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Soft Ride TT. You can get some pretty big breaks on the frame. I certainly wouldn't turn down a Titan flex, either. Only, big problem. They're not 'Cool.'

AS for the wheels. A coach I talked to yesterday says he won't let his athletes get race wheels until they get a power meter. He says a training wheel with cover is as good as a disc anyway. Jujst another opinion.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me buy my first tri. bike [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this is anecdotal, but I have had 4 different friends who have had major fit and parts problems with 4 different custom builders and all ended up going back to the mainstream and are much more happy. I'm talking pretty small builders, but well-known ... I know about 4 or 5 other people who love their custom bikes, so the anecdotal stats are not good.

I would consider just about everyone you named, so it doesn't have to be a BIG big gun.

As totally uncool as it is, everyone I know who bought Trek likes their bikes, some love them ... The same for Felt and Litespeed ... My dad loves his Trek and his Kuota, my buddy loves his Kestrel ... The same cannot be said for Specialized or Cervelo ... This is all anecdotal, I know ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No LBS in town has any bike line I am interested in. I'm driving 4 hours to shop around, but I could get fitted here. One guy really knows his stuff.
Last edited by: TBinMT: May 21, 06 20:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say buy a Cervelo Dual and then use the rest of the money for a set of Zipp 404/606/808/909/999 (whatever your preference) Because remember the Dual isn't an entry lever tri bike, it is a world class tri bike at an entry level price

"Oh you hate your job? There's a support group for that, it's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there are a lot of really good bikes in your price range. earlier this spring, i was in the same position ... and i narrowed it down to two 'finalists' ... guru cron'alu and cervelo p2sl. i ended up with the guru, and i got a really good deal on it.

everytime i ride the guru, im impressed at how good it is, and how reasonably priced it was.

the cron'alu is a very very good bike. not just a good bike for the money.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: Help me buy my first tri. bike [bikerbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I say buy a Cervelo Dual and then use the rest of the money for a .........."

Ditto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the same situation you are in. I went with the Felt S-22. I was also looking at the Cervelo P2SL. I <3 my Felt! Hard to go wrong either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, $3K on a new Tri bike! Lucky you! IMHO I think that you cannot go wrong in that price range. Depending on how much you know about fitting yourself, and building a bike, I think that I would find a sweet frame that is not really common, and then build it up over the summer. I think that this route has real motivation factor, as everytime you saddle up yu will know that the bike is just how you want it.

Aside from that 3K almost gets you into a P2c. I'm not a huge Cervelo fan, but that bike is very cool.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
QR and Cervelo both have excellent values in that price range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After the season is over is the best time to buy bikes. I got a 2005 Saber frameset online in October or November for about 1,000 dollars off. QR's were going for a song (like 30 percent off or more) at that time also at TriSports and All3Sports. But, if you wait you run the risk of not finding the bike you want on sale, or in your size.
Quote Reply